PTAT overtime recording

TScottTX

Mar 15, 2007
DFW
Often, at least in my market, nwtwork primetime shows (particularly on CBS) extend beyond primetime due do events such as sports overtime, etc. Will the PTAT feature be "smart" enough to finish the recordings beyond the original stop time?

Laddyboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2006
Central IL/SW FL/Big Island
Often, at least in my market, nwtwork primetime shows (particularly on CBS) extend beyond primetime due do events such as sports overtime, etc. Will the PTAT feature be "smart" enough to finish the recordings beyond the original stop time?

There is a supposedly a one hour overrun whenever sporting events are involved. Whether this will also apply to Presidential events and other news interruptions is not known for sure.

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Now, whether the guide matches the delayed programming, is another thing.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Now, whether the guide matches the delayed programming, is another thing.

That is exactly what I thought. If the shows run over then the guide data isn't going to match what is recorded. You might have to go through several shows in the recordings to find the actual show you want. In my case if I had a hopper and an OTA usb tuner, I would set up a manual recording no Sundays for CBS to catch all my shows on one timer.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
In my case if I had a hopper and an OTA usb tuner, I would set up a manual recording no Sundays for CBS to catch all my shows on one timer.
And that would accomplish what over the PTAT extension?

Lt Disher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 26, 2009
Iowa
Also, PTAT will be padded 30 minutes every night, regardless.

I'm interested to see how that will work. On nights where there is no overrun, will we be able to see the local news, if as you say it is padded every night and recorded anyway? I didn't see any evidence of that on the CES videos.

I think this whole discussion is one that will have to wait until we get some units installed and actually see how it works.

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
...and we may not know how it truly works until this fall when the delays really kick in.

Lt Disher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 26, 2009
Iowa
...and we may not know how it truly works until this fall when the delays really kick in.

This is true especially for delays caused by time overruns that occur before the PTAT time block even begins. (eg, Sunday afternoon football overruns.). I think with the political season in full swing we will get some earlier indications this spring, especially whether the DVR program icons will match the delayed programming.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
I looked all over here and can't find it but there was word from dish with some details about this. First if there is a show on that is scheduled in 30 mins or less it will all be r

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
And that would accomplish what over the PTAT extension?

I would get all my show that I know is going to run over on Sundays on one manual timer recording. I would not have to guess which show it would be on ,due to the name of the guide info being different than what is recorded due to sports over runs. I don't think the hopper will be able to know when the show is going to actually run ,because the show is delayed differently each Sunday and they don't even run the scrawl over the screen announcing the actual time, till that night a little before it happens. I've had a manual timer set up for Sundays on CBS for most of the fall and winter season , that runs for 3hours. I get both the Good Wife and Csi Miami without missing anything. I start it and then fast forward till the show actually starts.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
I looked all over here and can't find it but there was word from dish with some details about this. First if there is a show being recorded at cut off time and is scheduled to end in 30 mins or less it will be all be recorded. Or if is already more than 50% recorded it will finish, no matter how long.

Of course big question, is it using guide info or using the information that is contained in the program data stream to see what is what. Because if the guide is off you're screwed. But if it is reading the data stream it ought have enough info to record to the end. But this last part is a wild a** guess.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
I would get all my show that I know is going to run over on Sundays on one manual timer recording. I would not have to guess which show it would be on ,due to the name of the guide info being different than what is recorded due to sports over runs. I don't think the hopper will be able to know when the show is going to actually run ,because the show is delayed differently each Sunday and they don't even run the scrawl over the screen announcing the actual time, till that night a little before it happens. I've had a manual timer set up for Sundays on CBS for most of the fall and winter season , that runs for 3hours. I get both the Good Wife and Csi Miami without missing anything. I start it and then fast forward till the show actually starts.

And PTAT should do that for you without having to set a manual timer. Now, if you don't want to record anything else on prime time on Sunday, I see your point.

gregleg

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jun 5, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Since they're already recording the entire block and pulling out the appropriate program when you play it back, it should be trivial for them to automatically pad each show by a few minutes to either side. For example, if I select a "half-hour" show that starts at 8:30pm, it could just start the stream at the 8:28pm mark and end it at the 9:02pm mark. Taking that further, let a user option specify the start and end offsets to their own liking. This by itself would be a HUGE improvement over the existing timers for consecutive-but-on-different-network-channels programs.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
And PTAT should do that for you without having to set a manual timer. Now, if you don't want to record anything else on prime time on Sunday, I see your point.

I don't remember anyone from DISH guarantee that the shows will record , complete with correct information if the shows have over run due to sports. If the primetime anytime feature truly can do this it would be a miracle in my eyes. Because all I remember is that the primetime anytime feature will record the entire transponder. IF it can go into the individual shows and edit them so only that show is what shows in the guide information, for that recording, it would be a great feature and a big PERK for DISH. But we won't know for sure, if it works that way , till someone can test it next fall. Just imagine if could include the entire show and ending and not get cut off 30 second to a minute early on CBS or ABC comedies. Right now I have several extended timers and manual timers for the shows that run over on both networks ,because I would miss the endings due to the common 1 minute over runs.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
The best they could probably do is have a block of extra programming at the end of the PTAT day that would hold the overruns. There is really no practical way for them to go back and redo the guide data for a sports overrun. So, you would manually have to look through what was recorded, find your show and watch it and the show/block afterwards to hopefully find the ending.

rglore

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 12, 2006
Louisville
A good way to handle this is to start playback of the recorded show at the scheduled time but not to end it. Let the user scan forward to the actual start and manually stop viewing or change the channel when he/she notices that it's ended. This would work great for when viewing sequential shows too.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
The best they could probably do is have a block of extra programming at the end of the PTAT day that would hold the overruns. There is really no practical way for them to go back and redo the guide data for a sports overrun. So, you would manually have to look through what was recorded, find your show and watch it and the show/block afterwards to hopefully find the ending.

Which is why I use a manual timer for OTA CBS shows on Sunday. I start the recording and fast forward to the start of the Good Wife and then watch till Csi Miami is over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)