PTAT question

pdx503

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Pacific NW
Hi,

It definitely seems interesting, but it will certainly record a lot of stuff I do not want among the few programs that I do. Is it possible to delete specific episodes, and move the ones I'd like to keep to the DVR?

Is it possible to delete entire shows en masse, or must it be done one episode at a time?

Thanks!

Yes, although the recordings delete themselves in 8 days, you can manually delete them. The Hopper has a 2T hard drive so there is a lot of recording space so recording that much shouldn't be a problem letting them delete themselves.

Not sure I am explaining this the best way so others please join in....PTAT records on its own transponder thus it records automatically unless you chose to turn PTAT off that night its "seperate" then other recordings you may have in your DVR. I have my PTAT off on the weeekends and since I have two hoppers I keep PTAT off on one Hopper and access those recordings from the other Hopper that has PTAT off.

While everyone has there view on PTAT, I like it it has introduced me to a few shows I may have not had watched before.

Hi,

It definitely seems interesting, but it will certainly record a lot of stuff I do not want among the few programs that I do. Is it possible to delete specific episodes, and move the ones I'd like to keep to the DVR?

Is it possible to delete entire shows en masse, or must it be done one episode at a time?
Thanks!
If you want some shows automatically saved, you can create a separate timer. If it is in a PTAT block, it will save it as a normal, recorded show, as well as be in the PTAT folder.

Hi,

Thanks!

You can configure PTAT by going to Menu-->Settings-->Dvr-->PTAT. You can select the network, day of week and number of days to keep recordings. Use the DVR button to access PTAT and My Recordings. Right clicking on any PTAT recording offers you the option to Save or Save Series which will set a timer and save a copy to My Recrodings. You can also set timer for a Network show and PTAT will find it and save it automatically in My Recordings.

Use the Blue shortcut button to delete a highlighted show or folder.

You can configure PTAT by going to Menu-->Settings-->Dvr-->PTAT. You can select the network, day of week and number of days to keep recordings. Use the DVR button to access PTAT and My Recordings. Right clicking on any PTAT recording offers you the option to Save or Save Series which will set a timer and save a copy to My Recrodings. You can also set timer for a Network show and PTAT will find it and save it automatically in My Recordings.

Use the Blue shortcut button to delete a highlighted show or folder.

If you do a save series from the PTAT recordings, will all those timers created be used to determine the priority order or does PTA take care of that?

If you do a save series from the PTAT recordings, will all those timers created be used to determine the priority order or does PTA take care of that?

PTAT does all the recording, same as if you had set a series timer outside of PTAT

PTAT does all the recording, same as if you had set a series timer outside of PTAT

Thanks KAB. What do you do for the sport channels that run over on Sunday PTAT channels? I have tried to add two manual timers for 10pm to 11pm for two of the network channels but the manual time keeps changing on me. For example I set a manual OTA timer for CBS 10:02 to 11:00pm CST and it stayed. I set a manual satellite timer for NBC 10:02 to 11:00pm. And it changes its self to 11:02 to 12:00AM.

Thanks KAB. What do you do for the sport channels that run over on Sunday PTAT channels? I have tried to add two manual timers for 10pm to 11pm for two of the network channels but the manual time keeps changing on me. For example I set a manual OTA timer for CBS 10:02 to 11:00pm CST and it stayed. I set a manual satellite timer for NBC 10:02 to 11:00pm. And it changes its self to 11:02 to 12:00AM.

Was it on the other side of the time change?

Was it on the other side of the time change?

Yes, I set two manual timers on one Hopper for CBS (OTA) and FOX for Sunday at 10pm to 11pm CST. I have PTAT turned on for all four Networks. If the 9pm show starts late and ends past 10pm the manual timer should record the ending. Did the same thing for ABC (OTA) and NBC on another Hopper. It is usually CBS that seems to forever run late on Sunday nites because of a sporting program that runs late from the day schedule. I am not too concerned about Saturday programs. Do you think this is the best way to handle the issue? Sunday morning I will check all the manual timers to make sure the start and stop times are correct due to the day lite savings time change.

Last edited:
I have figured out another way to record the sports overage on the weekends. I have made a series timer for our favorate PTAT shows and left the PTAT turned on. For example I went into my timers selected on the last show in CBS at 9pm which for this Sunday is The Mentalist. Then I clicked on Event Timer then added an hour to the end time. I think this will work. Will run a test this Sunday.

I have figured out another way to record the sports overage on the weekends. I have made a series timer for our favorate PTAT shows and left the PTAT turned on. For example I went into my timers selected on the last show in CBS at 9pm which for this Sunday is The Mentalist. Then I clicked on Event Timer then added an hour to the end time. I think this will work. Will run a test this Sunday.
That wont work unless you unskip the timer and use a second tuner.

The most consistent way I have found to deal with this is to just set up timers on the guide for the shows that are after the PTAT block (such as the 11 o'clock news). This does cause a slight break when viewing as the PTAT ends and then you have to start the news but it is the most reliable way I have found.

That wont work unless you unskip the timer and use a second tuner.

Yep, understand n0qcu, didn't think of that. Well, I don't want to unskip because it would use a second tuner up in that 9 to 10pm time slot. I think I am going to stick to using a manual timer. The time slot for the manual timer 10 to 11pm is a better area to use a timer up due to the other massive scheduling I use on non PTAT programs Sunday nite from 6 to 10pm. Thanks n0qcu for the info.

The most consistent way I have found to deal with this is to just set up timers on the guide for the shows that are after the PTAT block (such as the 11 o'clock news). This does cause a slight break when viewing as the PTAT ends and then you have to start the news but it is the most reliable way I have found.

Thanks loubon, another good idea to deal with the sports runneth over issue. I will run a test this Sunday nite with a manual timer and setting up a timer for the shows after the PTAT block and see how goes it.

I have run several test and have decided to set manual timers for the weekend sports programs that run over their scheduled end time for the PTAT networks. Since most of the problems happen on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I have created three manual timers with frequency set daily for CBS (OTA), NBC, and ABC from 10pm CST to 11pm. Problem rarely happens for Fox so did not set a timer for that network and this leaves one timer left for something else. The reason the timers are set for daily is because there is no frequency setting for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. For Monday thru Thursday in the daily schedule I change the setting to skip event for all three timers unless I know they are going to run over because the President is going to disrupt the TV schedule with a speech or something else. Last nite schedule this worked out perfect for CBS that ran past its end time. My CBS manual timer picked right up when the PTAT ended the program at 10pm CST. Has anyone else came up with a different solution to the sports programs that run past their scheduled end time on the weekends?

Sounds like what I used to do with CBS shows on Sundays. I set a manual timer for CBS station and extend it to cover for all over runs. I did this on my 722k for years and it works like a charm. On the hopper I just set a timer for the shows I want to record and extend them for Sunday over runs. Works the same ,even though they use PTAT to record them.

Sounds like what I used to do with CBS shows on Sundays. I set a manual timer for CBS station and extend it to cover for all over runs. I did this on my 722k for years and it works like a charm. On the hopper I just set a timer for the shows I want to record and extend them for Sunday over runs. Works the same ,even though they use PTAT to record them.

When I had my 722k I set a series timer for all our favorite CBS, NBC, and ABC shows on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nite with a hour extend time on all of them. If some of the shows sometimes run consecutively I would reduce the hour extension on the preceding show. I can see where your way worked good too for the 722s. If I did my Hoppers the way you do with the hour extension I would have to deal with priority problems with some of the non PTAT shows that record during the PTAT hours. Sometimes two tuners are not enough for me so I don't want to waste them during the PTAT hours. So that is why I am trying out the manual timers at the 10 to 11pm CST. I just let the PTAT do its job and not have the additional timers use up more tuners. When you set them additional PTAT timers with the hour extension they then count as a tuner, right? I am new to Hoppers so steer me straight if I am wrong MikeD-C05. Thanks

IF you use PTAT and then set a timer for the show too, it will only use the same tuner as the PTAT ,but should extend it by the hour you have extended the individual timer for. Or you can select save a series from a show from your PTAT folder and it will give you a recording in addition to the one in the PTAT folder. Not sure if you can adjust that timer for an additional time. Another way if you have ota tuner and antenna too , is to set up a manual timer for the ota station of your choosing for say CBS and it will work just like the 722k does . I don't usually miss any time on a PTAT recording ,because if there is sports overuns, the PTAT recordings for all networks are adjusted to run over by an hour . Once the auto hop does it's job at 1:00am , the recordings are all adjusted to fit in the proper slot so you get the full recording for each show ,without commercials, if you choose it. So the hopper is pretty smart in how it handles the sports over runs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)