PTAT Question

One of the things about PTAT that disappointed me is that it will only work if the network channels are in HD. None of mine are (yet). However, I turned PTAT on anyway. Guess what? Every show I record during primetime on one of the networks has the Autohop feature. For example, I record NCIS and (formerlly) House until series end. Both have the autohop enabled because PTAT is enabled.

Could those 12 recordings be longer in total length than the 19 recordings? Any SD recordings in the mix that could reduce the space used?

No difference in length. I have changed them over from recording different items to duplicates of each other, but that will take a few weeks to work itself out of course, then it will be a better comparison for accuracy. The only difference is one of the 12 is OTA on the 2000, but that should not take that much space.

Ill watch it as they begin to mirror each others contents, instead of being different.

OTA recordings (MPEG2) of the same length will take almost 2-3x the space as HD MPEG4 recordings, FYI.

Understood, which should make that around "15" records worth.

In a week or so the contents should be identical once we watch a few hours of previously recorded stuff, and I have both set to record PTAT Sun-Fri, keeping only 2 days. I'll report back then.

Sorry for the delay, it looks like it was changed around a year ago:

"To possibly head off or limit the pending legal action, ... Additionally, whereas the recordings were previously stored in an inaccessible portion of the Hopper’s hard drive, this content can now be managed like any other recording"

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-07/dish-modifies-prime-time-anytime-auto-hop-to-defuse-broadcaster-wrath/

Thanks! They should change the EKB Hopper Info to indicate that.

OTA recordings (MPEG2) of the same length will take almost 2-3x the space as HD MPEG4 recordings, FYI.
I find under 1000MB/hr for SD, 1250 to 2000MB/hr for HD, 3000 to 6000MB/hr for OTA. MPEG-4 SD would be less. Western Arc MPEG-2 SD is about 1/2 of MPEG-4 HD.

The OP can see the size of each recording. In the DVR tile listing, click on the tile and if multiple episodes click on the episode after it is recorded, select Edit, read the length in minutes and GB=1024MB. For just minutes use the info button.

I keep a spreadsheet of all the movies but for series when I get a rerun (of the rerun) I check its size against the saved one. The shorter one wins if it has the whole program. That is a problem for shows like Futurama where the starting offset is often random.

-Ken

Im not finding Im too keen on PTAT. It seems to work pretty good, but some shows I have a timer with do not go to my folder, they go to the generic folder for all the recordings, even though I have the timer set to send it to my folder. Then I moved a couple and they disappeared all together until I rebooted. I prefer a little more control, and like each item to show in the daily schedule, but I am kinda digging auto hop. For now Im just going to leave PTAT on for the big 4, record on Sat only, and keep 2 days. Ill set my OTA timers as normal for Sun-Fri, and this will allow me access to AutoHop on OTA.

The minimum requirement of PTAT to get AutoHop is 1 day and 1 channel.
I pick on a day and channel that is empty and depend on the regular timers to get just what I want.
I may reconsider for September with new shows a plenty until I settle down.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts