Public Housing and cable/satellite TV wiring

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Just today, I had an inspection done of my apartment and was informed that if you had 1 or more receivers, (cable or satellite), the cables can no longer go under rugs, they must be put on the ceiling of the apartment. (HUD Rules)Personally, I think it's tacky and there's a chance the cables could fall off if the ceiling if it is not secure enough. Just thought I'd pass this information along.

Last edited:
Many installers can run the cables at the baseboard or just above it. This should be inconspicuous and not have to run under the carpet.

A little education: some people who are in HUD may be elderly and qualify. They often stay at home a lot. My uncle paid for my elder aunt to have cable so she could watch TCM and have greater choice of entertainment. She loved it because she found the news movies and local channels had such offensive (to elderly people) garbage. The old-time movies and Liftetime, etc. helped them cope with our cruel and violent world.

Some elderly pay for cable or satellite with what little they have left over each month, and TV is the one "luxury" that makes a tremendous difference in the quality of their lives knowing they don't have much time left on this earth.

Satellite is actually affordable for some in HUD housing since Dish offers pre-paid or very low packages. Cable is not nearly as affordable for many HUD residents. I have seen tons of dishes on subsidized housing units. Some HUD residents take what little they have and invest it in satellite TV because it is too dangerous to leave the house except for the most essential things. They are prisoners on their own home with drug deals and gang violence just outside their own units.

The choice for those with less to spend it on pay TV is a reflection that our great country is one that puts TV entertainment at the TOP of any non-essential list of things that we are willing to pay for. TV is everything to every American. I remember watching TV5 France, report on a story about some U.S. TV show that was popular and all the American Idols and etc., and the reporter ended his report by saying, "Americans love their TV [to watch TV]." He hit the nail on the head. His remark was not an insult, but intended to explain why such TV shows have such huge impacts on US society and why so many Americans watch so much TV.

So, yes, if one is in HUD housing, just like the rest of us, TV comes before any other vices. Let's keep this in perspective, the OP did not go to a fertility clinic so that she could have 8 babies to supplement the several other children she already had so the taxpayers could pay for all the sick babies needs the rest of their lives. "Octomom", anyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts