Public Interest Channels w/SkyAngel-Only

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
In case anyone doesn't know, you can get the PI channels with SkyAngel-only. They are a set of public access channels of varying quality and content, but I figure any programming (within reason) for "free" is worthwhile, right? :)

When I first called a CSR, the CSR said I could not add it, even though I pay Dish a second receiver and 2 DVR fees each month. (This still irks me.)

At the suggestion of someone in the Dish forum, I instead called a Tech Support lady last night, and she had it hooked up in a minute or so. You do have to ignore the phone prompts for "programming changes".

The channels were there a bit later when I checked. Nothing I will spend much time on, but some of the college stuff might be interesting, and I now get CSPAN.

Brad

Are you saying I could get C-Span for free with Sky Angel-only (61.5?) I called about what channels I could receive at 61.5 and I was told - None, they didn't even know about Sky Angel. I had to explain it to them. This was about 2 years ago before I even had Sky Angel.

~MYB~

The PI channels are spread across 3 satellites
110, 119, 61.5

PI channels on 110
197 The Documentary Channel
265 China Central TV 9
9400 The Research Channel
9401 HITN (Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network)
9403 BYU TV (Brigham Young University)
9404 University of Washigton TV (UWTV)
9407 Colours TV
9410 WorldLink TV

PI channels on 119
210 Cable Satellite Public Affairs Network (C-SPAN)
213 NASA - TV
260 Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN)
261 Eternal Word TV Network (EWTN)
9409 Rural Farm Broadcasting (RFD TV)
9411 Northern Arizona University House
9412 University of California TV (UCTV)
9415 Free Speech Television

PI on 61.5 (same satellite as SA)
9405 The Pentagon Channel
9406 Classic Arts Showcase
9416 Good Samaritan Network
9417 Holistic Television Network
9418 Panhandle Area Educational Consortium

I think you have to get an invoice from Dish to get them. if you are SA only with one box, you probably can't get them.

Andrews
Were you read the “warning” message too?

I have a feeling that SA only customers who do not get an invoice from Dish won’t be able to get this package because there is no invoice from Dish to add it to.

I told her I would probably read such, and she read it shortly afterward.

I have 4 satellites, 61.5, 110, 119 and 148. This was because some of the Dallas locals were on 148, and I was able to have all 4 (finally) when I got my 522 receivers. The first 3 are an advantage now. I expect to upgrade to Top180, or maybe even an HD package, though that will probably not be for a while. (I downgraded to save a good chunk of the $100 or so I was sending their way every month. I still send them about $19, but that is much more affordable now.

In some ways it would be cheaper to buy season sets of some of the shows we like than to have service. Having a lifetime SkyAngel sub makes it even easier to do that.

Brad

I have 110, 119, and 61.5 and have Sky Angel, PI, and waivers for FOX, NBC, and CBS and I buy 3 of the 5 Superstations, WPIX, WWOR, and KWGN from Dish. My normal TV is from Directv but for this month I have it suspended and have Dish Family $19.99 instead.

Jim

I have Sky Angel with a lifetime subscription. I called yesterday and asked Dish to " add the free Public Interest a la carte package" They had no problem with it and now I have the PI channels.

laseradam said:
I have Sky Angel with a lifetime subscription. I called yesterday and asked Dish to " add the free Public Interest a la carte package" They had no problem with it and now I have the PI channels.

I was in the same situation. The CSR said "no" several months ago, but the tech support lady hooked it right up a few days ago. :)

Brad

I hooked up to the PI channels today (I have SA). I had to go through the Commercial/Business side of dish (1-800-454-0843) and then technical support. The tech lady hooked me right up. She called these channels the "public access" channels. The normal programming CSR's don't know anything about this.
Bob

Well, I just called today. She added them but advised me they had mature content. Since we have the parental controls on I hope there won't be any problems. Although some of the old westerns on Hallmark are not blocked out by the parental controls.

ShaneLinder said:
Well, I just called today. She added them but advised me they had mature content. Since we have the parental controls on I hope there won't be any problems. Although some of the old westerns on Hallmark are not blocked out by the parental controls.

they are saying the "warning" to anyone that has something other than the normal Dish packagesw (AT60, AT120, AT180). I have DIshFamily so they said it to me :)

Another option is channel locks :)

We're thinking of cancelling our Sky Angel. When and IF we do, can I just turn my DISH to receive any free channel? Like in particular NASA television? or maybe C-Span? etc...
~MYB~

NASA you can
Angel One is another

The rest are scrambled. To get C-Span and the other PI channels you have to subscribe to something on Dish.

I have a lifetime subscription with Sky Angel, so I called the Commercial/Business side of dish (1-800-454-0843) this evening. I hooked up with Tech Support and asked about receiving the free Public Interest a la carte package.

The tech support lady seemed confused and put me on hold. A few minutes later, she rattled off a list of the channels available. She mentioned that the channels were free, but since I didn't have a direct account with DISH--only with SA, the channels would cost me $6 a month.

Has anybody else been asked to pay an access fee?

call back. They are free and should be no charge. People with sky angel only accounts can get them

Why did you call the commercial side? Is it a commercial account??

No, it isn't a commercial account. Since Wescopc said, "The normal programming CSR's don't know anything about this" I called the phone number he posted.

I'll try again. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts