Pulled the plug, Dish free

Blazer

Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
finally, after a long aggrevating affair with customer service and thier field rep/installers inability to deliver i had enough, ill get my HD fix by some other means.

finally, after a long aggrevating affair with customer service and thier field rep/installers inability to deliver i had enough, ill get my HD fix by some other means.

Good luck. I don't blame you. I'm less than a month into my contract and already I'm second guessing the decision.

As for the 'do your homework' comment, that only goes so far.

Make sure you do your homework next time.

You can do all the homework you want; however what do you do if Dish decides to raise your DVR advantage plan $10 a month?:mad:

I am 5 year out of contract sub, whom spends upwards to $100 a month, and am not to thrilled when I hear about a 10% rate increase in these hard financial times.

The increase better be worth it, in new programing, otherwise I will have to strongly consider my options once my nhlci subscription expires in april, whether I am addicted to my "Duo HD Dvr" or not.:(

You can do all the homework you want; however what do you do if Dish decides to raise your DVR advantage plan $10 a month?:mad:

I am 5 year out of contract sub, whom spends upwards to $100 a month, and am not to thrilled when I hear about a 10% rate increase in these hard financial times.

The increase better be worth it, in new programing, otherwise I will have to strongly consider my options once my nhlci subscription expires in april, whether I am addicted to my "Duo HD Dvr" or not.:(

Yep and Dish is doing a disservice to thier coustomers.. whats funny is that charlie claims that he's the cheaper of the two services and trys to negotate and play hard ball with providers to keep your prices down. guess what charlie, with that 10 dollar increase you just became more expensive than Directv who... hasnt dropped as many channels as you have! OMG!

I don't blame you. I am still without TV after a month, because customer service can't get their sh*t together.

Make sure you do your homework next time.
(Whadda prick) You can do all the homework you like, but that doesn't help when they repeatedly screw up your account.

Yep and Dish is doing a disservice to thier coustomers.. whats funny is that charlie claims that he's the cheaper of the two services and trys to negotate and play hard ball with providers to keep your prices down. guess what charlie, with that 10 dollar increase you just became more expensive than Directv who... hasnt dropped as many channels as you have! OMG!

I think Dish has wasted a good opportunity to pick up Directv customers with there price increase

what options do you have available in your area? I assume directv, perhaps cable, fios/uverse?

Well, I can choose between directv or time warner. TWC has been adding HD as of late, but are still behind E*, however they do have my rsn (MSG) in HD; they do offer YES network (in HD too) and all the locals in HD (E* doesn't have the ABC or PBS). If they keep adding national hd like they have in the NY City area, then I might just have to kiss my dvr goodbye.:confused:

Well, I can choose between directv or time warner. TWC has been adding HD as of late, but are still behind E*, however they do have my rsn (MSG) in HD; they do offer YES network (in HD too) and all the locals in HD (E* doesn't have the ABC or PBS). If they keep adding national hd like they have in the NY City area, then I might just have to kiss my dvr goodbye.:confused:
You should be able to get the locals and both of the RSNs (plus a few more) that you mentioned in HD with D*. Not sure what TWC lineup is there, so I cant offer advice on them. What DVR do they use?

I have been tossing and turning on switching from Dish to Direct for awhile now, but am scared to because of the negative DVR reviews I am constantly reading about.

I have been tossing and turning on switching from Dish to Direct for awhile now, but am scared to because of the negative DVR reviews I am constantly reading about.

I am going to visit my sister this week, that just had the direct hddvr installed. We shall see. I just had a 508 wear out after many many years of use. I wanted to upgrade that receiver anyway, so I bought a 211 and will use an external hard drive I have laying around. The extra fees are really starting to add up.

Been with Dish for 10 years and had Directv for 8 years. I finally got rid of my old Hughes HTL receiver and directv account last year. I may regret that now. I had kept the Directv because I had distants only on that account.

Its not as bad as some would lead you to believe. They did have some widespread issues at launch, most of which have been eliminated. Pretty nice receivers these days, although by the accounts of most that have both D* and E* not QUITE as good as the ViP series.

What do you mean by "not QUITE as good;" what are some of the more recent problems customers are experiencing?
I dont think they are saying that now because of problems, because as far as I know there are no widespread problems with the HR these days (no moreso than with the ViP anyway). I think most of them are going off of features that they like, and a slight difference in speed (which is something that I havent noticed with my HR-20). IMO, having used and being a sub of both (although I dont have the ViP) the HR is as good as the E* offereing for what I use it for. I have no need for a sd feed to the second tv, and I dont care for PIP. Others do like those features though, and I can understand that. That said, both have features that the other doesnt. It all comes down to what you want in a box, and to a larger extent, what you are familiar with. The learning curve throws some people off.

You should be able to get the locals and both of the RSNs (plus a few more) that you mentioned in HD with D*. Not sure what TWC lineup is there, so I cant offer advice on them. What DVR do they use?

I can get all those channels with D*. The only reason to even consider TWC is the triple play. However, if I did drop dish TWC would be the easiest to install and setup with them being able to use all the existing wiring. D* would most likely require additional installation of cable, unless they use the single wire method

As for dvr, I am sure that I am spoiled with my 722..

I can get all those channels with D*. The only reason to even consider TWC is the triple play. However, if I did drop dish TWC would be the easiest to install and setup with them being able to use all the existing wiring. D* would most likely require additional installation of cable, unless they use the single wire method

As for dvr, I am sure that I am spoiled with my 722..

At this point, the single wire switch would more than likely be what is used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)