Purchase/Lease Options for a DVR

Alto101

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 15, 2005
Louisville, KY
I just had E* installed a couple of weeks ago with a 942 connected to my main TV and the second TV hooked up to the TV2 output of the 942. I am thinking that I would like to use the 942 in single mode and obtain a DVR for my second TV which is an old 27" model.

I had my installer hook up the line which runs to the bedroom where the 27" TV is located, so all I need to do is plug in a Dish Pro Plus compatible DVR. I would like a dual tuner model.

What DVR's will work with Dish Pro Plus equipment? What are my options as far as purchasing/leasing? I am currently leasing the 942. Will I have to pay a monthly fee for adding a second DVR to my account in addition to any lease fees if I lease it? I am currently subscribed to the America's Everything pack + the HDTV pack + locals and will subscribe to the Voom pack once my installers comes back to hook up the 61.5 dish.

Thanks,
Ryan

Alto101 said:
I just had E* installed a couple of weeks ago with a 942 connected to my main TV and the second TV hooked up to the TV2 output of the 942. I am thinking that I would like to use the 942 in single mode and obtain a DVR for my second TV which is an old 27" model.

I had my installer hook up the line which runs to the bedroom where the 27" TV is located, so all I need to do is plug in a Dish Pro Plus compatible DVR. I would like a dual tuner model.

What DVR's will work with Dish Pro Plus equipment? What are my options as far as purchasing/leasing? I am currently leasing the 942. Will I have to pay a monthly fee for adding a second DVR to my account in addition to any lease fees if I lease it? I am currently subscribed to the America's Everything pack + the HDTV pack + locals and will subscribe to the Voom pack once my installers comes back to hook up the 61.5 dish.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan: For a lease the 510 DVR should provide what you want. Because you have the Everything Pak the only monthly expense you will incur is the $5 lease fee on the receiver. Be aware the 510 is a SD DVR.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Ryan: For a lease the 510 DVR should provide what you want. Because you have the Everything Pak the only monthly expense you will incur is the $5 lease fee on the receiver. Be aware the 510 is a SD DVR.

NightRyder

A SD DVR is fine since the TV is only SD. I thought that the 510 was a single tuner model? If it is only a single tuner DVR, is there a dual tuner DVR that I could lease in addition to the 942 I currently have?

Alto101 said:
A SD DVR is fine since the TV is only SD. I thought that the 510 was a single tuner model? If it is only a single tuner DVR, is there a dual tuner DVR that I could lease in addition to the 942 I currently have?

Yes, the 510 is a single tuner DVR (sorry missed your dual tuner requirement). If you want to lease a dual tuner DVR then a 522 or 625 is what you want. Be aware that getting Dish to add a receiver shortly after your initial install can be problematic.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Be aware that getting Dish to add a receiver shortly after your initial install can be problematic.

NightRyder

That is what I was afraid of. Do I need to lie to Dish and tell them that I have purchased a third TV and the 942 will only work for 2 TV's? Like I said, the wiring is all in place, just need the actual STB.

If anyone has any tips to make the process of adding another leased DVR easier, please let me hear them:)

Just got off the phone with Dish. They are letting me lease a 625 for $5 a month but they are charging me a $49.99 upgrade fee + a $19.95 upgrade fee. The $19.95 upgrade fee is for the 625 which would not be there if they had a 522 which they say are no longer available. The $49.99 fee is also called an upgrade fee but it covers the installation fee. I already have all of the wiring in place. The line is connected to my LNB so all I need to do is plug in the receiver and connect the Dish Pro Plus Separator and I am good to go. They will not let me do a self-install which would save the $49.99 fee. Is this their policy? Is there anyway around it?

I really don't want to pay them $49.99 just to hook up 2 wires.

Any help would be appreciated:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts