Purchased new TV, now not sure how to setup receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thaar

Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
I just replaced the SD TV in my bedroom with an HD plasma. My VIP622 located in my living room (for my HDTV) is also controlling the TV in my bedroom via coax. Since I really want to take advantage of HD on my new TV and coax doesn't have the capacity to carry an HD signal, I think I need to get a new HD receiver in there. However, my wife and I really like to access our DVR on both TV's. If I were to put another VIP622 or 722 in the bedroom, is there a way to network both receivers together to work as one DVR? We don't need the capacity of both together, so they could just mirror each other, but I'm not sure if this is possible. Is there a better solution that I'm not aware of and should consider?

I tried to search, but came up empty since I wasn't quite sure what terms to use except for network which didn't help narrow much down, lol.

Thanks!

There really isn't any way to "see" the programs recorded on one receiver from another. If the distance between the 2 TVs is not too far, you might run one TV from the HDMI output and another from the component cables. You wouldn't be able to watch different programs from the two locations at the same time however.

Unfortunately, one one TV is upstairs while the other is downstairs. I was afraid of this might happen.

another alternative, but not exactly what you were looking for, is to add an external hard drive. Then you can transfer the dvr'd programs to the ehd and take that to the other tv, plug it in and watch from that.

Not nice but an option. Also there is a charge to enable the ehd for all receivers on an account.

Here's what i do , i have the same setup you describe, and i just record eveything on both dvr's. Like you i don't need the full capacity all the time and if i start getting full, i just send them to the ehd for archive.

just a couple of options to consider

Here's what i do , i have the same setup you describe, and i just record eveything on both dvr's. Like you i don't need the full capacity all the time and if i start getting full, i just send them to the ehd for archive.

That's what I do as well. It works ok, as long as you remember to delete from the other DVR. There was talk from DISH some time ago about letting any VIP receiver access any HD in the house that was connected to the home network. Haven't heard much about that for about a year now, so I assume it will never happen.

You can leave the 622 hooked up to the tuner on your 2nd tv, and get another receiver to hook up to it also. The HD receiver you get would hook to the component or HDMI connection of your new tv.. Would have to get another cable to your dish from the new receiver, but then you can swap between the new receiver and the 622 by changeing inputs.. If you know what you are doing you can diplex the new dish cable into your existing cable without having to get another cable into your upstairs bedroom..

You could also try a Media Sender. Hook the Media Sender to the Component + RCA Audio or HDMI, whichever is not connected to the TV and send the wireless HD signal to the second TV. End result is two HDTVs connected to one DVR.

Can anyone recommend a good Media Sender?

You can leave the 622 hooked up to the tuner on your 2nd tv, and get another receiver to hook up to it also. The HD receiver you get would hook to the component or HDMI connection of your new tv.. Would have to get another cable to your dish from the new receiver, but then you can swap between the new receiver and the 622 by changeing inputs.. If you know what you are doing you can diplex the new dish cable into your existing cable without having to get another cable into your upstairs bedroom..

So basically this would allow me to watch my DVR just not in the highest quality, but also give me the ability to watch everything else in HD, correct?

You could also try a Media Sender. Hook the Media Sender to the Component + RCA Audio or HDMI, whichever is not connected to the TV and send the wireless HD signal to the second TV. End result is two HDTVs connected to one DVR.

Can anyone recommend a good Media Sender?

Forgot about the slingbox. There is a new HD one. It will control the 622 as well. You just need high performance GB lan in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)