Purchasing a Dish Receiver away form Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chartsmalm

Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Garden Grove, CA
If I buy a formerly owned Dish receiver from somewhere besides Dish Network - let's assume a 512[single TV with DVr] - can I register it with Dish Network to have it recognized as part of my home installation? I already have a 622 for 2 sets with 2 DVR's.

Will it require a new SmartCard? I presume if the answer is yes that Discover issues it. What is the cost for a new SmartCard?

If the primary answer is yes, is there a better receiver [one TV, one DVR] than the 512?

In general you can purchase a receiver from a 3rd party and activate it... Just get the R00 and perhaps S00 numbers from the seller and check with Dish first to make sure it's free and clear. Unscrupulous sellers will try to sell you receivers with a high unpaid balance, or even try to sell a receiver they do not own (such as a leased receiver). Smart cards are married to the receiver, so either you should get that smart card OR it's integrated on the motherboard. In either case, it could be out of date and need the new purple card, in which case most of us have gotten a new card for free.

If I were you, I'd try for a 612 HD DVR rather than the 512. The 512 is a SD receiver that will not work if you have an Eastern Arc installation. Plus its, well, SD. :p

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and there are bargins available. I recently shopped for a HD DVR, I found 612/622 & 722s offered on eBay. I picked 7 that were honest looking most listed R00#s and had low starting prices. I called DISH and checked R00s, 4 of the 7 were actually clear. I picked my maximum that I was willing to pay and placed my bids. I think it was my second or third one I won the auction. I ended up with a VIP 612 that came from a storage building auction, it was listed as used but when I got it, it was actually new. Including shipping it came to $91 and change.

Just get the R00 and perhaps S00 numbers from the seller and check with Dish first

Cannot stress this enough. If it is clear and the box is in working condition, there is nothing wrong with buying used. I scored a practically new 211k for $50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)