Put a Dish setup together for me, still unsure.

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
I am trying to decide between Dish and Direct. Both services have positives and negatives so i need your help. Please correct any of my info if i list anything that is not correct, this will help me decide. PLEASE BUILD MY SYSTEM IF YOU WERE IN MY POSITION.

1. I have 3 HD TV'S in 3 rooms. As I understand it, Dish does not offer a receiver or setup to record on 1 DVR and watch the recorded programs on the other 2 HD-NON DVR boxes. I like this feature but not a deal killer. I will have a wireless home network and I am open to having more than 1 DVR's.

2. I would like the capability of recording more than two shows at once if that is possible, even if I have to get a 2nd hd-DVR. Please confirm if there is a way that I have not found that will allow the recorded shows to be watched on ALL TV'S.

3. The 922 sling receiver is nice but I would never use the TV EVERYWHERE feature. I would probably go with it just for the new interface and the 1tb hard drive.

Listed below is what I have come up with if I go with Dish Network. Please add comments and what you would change and why.

1- 922 Sling dvr receiver for TV 1 HD. ( record 2 shows)
1- SOLO hd-dvr 612 ( record 2 shows)
1-SOLO HD VIP 211K non-dvr.

I decided on the 2nd dvr and it increased my bill 3.00 per month over a 2nd regular hd receiver.

The negative is the 200.00 extra upfront for the 922 and the extra 99.00 upfront for the 2nd dvr. Do you expect this fee to be reduced or go away anytime soon?

What would you change and are my remarks correct?

Thank you for your help.

Would that turn all 3 into DVR'S and is that a one time 40.00 total or per receiver? Are there any other monthly fees associated in doing this?
Thanks.

The fee is per account. So for $40 you could turn all 3 211's into DVR's. There would be no DVR fee, at least for now. With the 211 you can record 1 program off the sat and 1 OTA if you have an antenna. I would go for the 722 over the 612. Dish is waiving the EHD fee on the 722s, according to Scott on the frontpage, and expand that way.

S~

211 EHD activation is $40 per account, not per receiver, and there are no additional monthly fees. The problem with the 211s as DVRs is that they are single tuner - you have to watch what you are recording or something that is pre-recorded. If I had a 211 I would get the EHD activated in a heart beat. I don't think I would trade my 722 in though - the dual tuner functionality is wirth the $6 DVR fee to me.

Depending on your usage you might consider two 211s with EHD as the second and third receivers - that would save $3/month.

The "near" term solution for Dish multi-room HD viewing will apparently be a Sling receiver. I have "near" in quotes because it's not out yet. It will probably be a year before its out, truly field tested and stable. The whole idea of using Sling for this purpose just seems silly to me anyway - why would I want/need the data to be reencoded/recompressed by Sling once it's on my LAN?

There are rumours a true multi-room DVR is in the works as well.

Storage alone is not a good reason for a 922. Reportedly 722 EHD activation will be free after Feb 1.

If I were signing up today I would probably still go with a 722 and wait to see what comes along in the next year. If you just really like the spiffy 922 interface, or will feel cheated if they release the 922 browser or fill-in-the-blank cool feature in two months then go ahead and go 922.

I would go with either the 722/922 for your primary receiver. It will cost you a $6/$10 per month extra DVR fee, but you will be able to record upto 4 things at once (2 SAT/2OTA) have sling if you want, google TV if you want, external HD archiving, etc. A lot of features not present on the 211ks. But the 211ks make great secondary HD receivers, with the $40 fee you can make them all DVRs.

It is also possible to share 211/722/922 HD output on 2 TVs. I do this, my office and bedroom share a 922, one on component one on HDMI. This could save you a receiver fee in some cases.

I would go for the 722 over the 612. Dish is waiving the EHD fee on the 722s, according to Scott on the frontpage, and expand that way.

S~
722,722k 622 and 612 will no longer get charged the $40 EHD fee
Only the NON DVRS with pay the fee.

Also you move your EHD Hardrive to any other VIP HD DVR on your account and watch movies off of it.

One thing to remember of you do go with Dish, is that you can't exchange the EHDs between the VIP HDDVRs (612, 622, 722, 922) and the 211 receivers.

S~