put dish network on suspend, now $5 + $6 hd enabling fee?

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I suspended my service for 2 months (Going on a long vacation).

I was told a $5 monthly fee 'to keep the acct active'

Then they said, because I have an owned 622, I need to also pay $6/mo 'hd enabling fee'

Why, $11/month for NO SERVICE?

Is the CSR (again) wrong?

It was my understanding that the dish pause program was only 5 bucks. There shouldnt be no hd enabling fee as there is no hd programming to be recived at that time. Dont hold me to this as I may be wrong. Your best bet is to play csr rullett and talk to a supervisor.

Well sticking to what the dish terms say, if you don't have a dish HD pack but have a 622 or 211 or 411 you'll be charged a $6 hd enabling fee, you think the dish pause program would avoid being charged that as well. But I guess not...

The only thing I can think of ....if you don't pay the HD bulls*** fee, they might not be able to activate the HD channels later on...when you restart because you have a non MPEG 4 receiver or one of those grandfathered HD packages.

Other than that....the person was clueless!

Last edited:
Pay the fee or end up screwed like I was with a worthless reciever . Through the same thing probably would not happen to you that happened to me (because I had a 942) ...With their customer service there is no telling, though. I had to cancel after 5+ years of service because they screwed me.

:( logically the hd fee is if you drop the hd from your active account. if your pausing your not changing your account your just pausing it.:eek: I'm scared to death to use the pause because i have distant networks. they use to truly pause your account now i think they remove everything from the account then when you return reapply the programming. the last time i did use pause they asked me when i called back to restart what programing i wanted. they seemed not to know what i had. this was a couple of years ago.

riffjim4069 said:
Why not match their stupid is as stupid does policy and just drop your owned 622 from the account and then reactivate it when coming back from vacation? (assuming you have another non ViP receiver)

That's exactly what I did last week! I am getting ready to move and start building a house so when I called Dish to check on the Pause, I was told $10/month for 6 months. I told them they're crazy for charging that and to just cancel my account. I own all of my equipment to include my 622 receiver. I will still come out ahead even if ther is a $25 reconnect fee.

So I called back to cancel my service.

I'm not paying $11/mo for nothing for 6 months!

Ended up at acct retention.

She waived the $6/mo hd enabling fee for as long as I am suspended. She credited 6 months at $5/mo to my acct, so in essence, no charges at all for the 6 month suspension. And the credit showed up, so my balance is now -$43.13
($30 credit on top of $13.13 credit for suspending in the middle of a month after autopaying).

And noted if I cancelled, I'd have to pay $25 reconnect fee and $49.95 install fee to come back. Suspended, those are not charged when I come back online.

Now that is a deal I can keep

philhu said:
So I called back to cancel my service.

I'm not paying $11/mo for nothing for 6 months!

Ended up at acct retention.

She waived the $6/mo hd enabling fee for as long as I am suspended. She credited 6 months at $5/mo to my acct, so in essence, no charges at all for the 6 month suspension. And the credit showed up, so my balance is now -$43.13
($30 credit on top of $13.13 credit for suspending in the middle of a month after autopaying).

And noted if I cancelled, I'd have to pay $25 reconnect fee and $49.95 install fee to come back. Suspended, those are not charged when I come back online.

Now that is a deal I can keep

What is this $49 install fee? What are they going to do? Install it again?

Be careful when going to the $5 "suspend" mode, I did this 2 summers ago and changed my mind the next day and found out I had lost everything I was grandfathered in for. It took an act of Congress to get my stuff back, it was a real hassle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts