put your cell phone on the do-not-call-list

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this was in another thread a few months back, has something new changed this since Jan 1? http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Updates 4/2005: Verizon Wireless and U.S. Cellular Corp. have always been opposed to the proposed cell phone directory, and initial partners Sprint Corp. and Alltel Corp. have since pulled away from the project due to concerns about bad publicity and possible new government regulations. So even if the cell phone directory database was compiled as planned, at least 45% of U.S. cell phone numbers wouldn't be included.

In April 2005, USA Today reported that registrations for the national do-not-call list for the week ending April 2 were about double the normal level, and registrations for the following week reached a peak five times higher than average. The newspaper also reiterated what we stated above:
. . . the anxiety is unfounded. First, it's illegal to make sales pitches to wireless phones by using automatic dialers — which is how the vast majority of telemarketing calls are placed. (One reason is that cellular users must pay for incoming calls.)

Also, most of the big wireless carriers have chosen either not to take part in the directory or to put off any plans to do so in light of consumer fears. They say any directory would include only those customers who agreed to participate and that the numbers would not be shared with telemarketers or anyone else. Congress has considered a bill to codify such rules.

Urban legend or not, it's not going to hurt to put your cell phone number in the DNCL. Unless you are a conspiracy theorist and believe that telemarketers use the DNCL as a marketing tool to add new numbers.

None of my numbers are on any do-not-call list yet because something about the whole idea seems a little off to me... not sure what though. I guess I'm a conspiracy theorist without a conspiracy theory in mind. :)

I do just fine screening with caller-ID and my answering machine for calls where caller-ID info is "blocked" or otherwise "unavailable". Or if I'm in a particularly ornery mood, I still enjoy messing with the occasional unsuspecting telemarketer. (hehehe :dev) I'll never forfeit my right to do that. :)

Sounds like a way for the phone companies to have people call to run up phone bills to make more money. This will not sit pretty with a lot of people with cell phones. A lot will probably rid of them if it ups their bills. The raise in 911 fees alone is going to make people mad and this will put some people over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts