PVR FTA STBs for HD OTA recording

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2008
I have just tested the NFusion HD
with that I have the Sonicview 8000 HD and the Pansat 9200 HD

Im just looking for a box that records OTA HD to a USB device thumb drice or hard drive how can the money grubbing people from Tivo like to have 15 a month or 500 a lifetime

Nfusion HD $199
Records HD only Guide one time schedule recording, and one click recording

SonicView 8000 HD $340
records great but it crashes a lot and is expensive

Pansat 9200 HD
only a few timers and only once and daiy schedule, and has power supply problems and it has been discontoued.

If anyony knows of a small and cheap BOX (less than-$200) that records OTA HD , that is not a PC please post

I would like to know the Schedule recording of

MANHATTAN RS-1933 High Definition
Optibox Raptor HD

The CAPTIVEWORKS 4000 and 3000 just look like HTPCs

Last edited:
I looked for an FTA receiver to record OTA some years back.
I even entertained one which wasn't very good at FTA.
In the end, none were satisfactory, and I gave up the idea.

I didn't like the idea of using a computer, nor having one in my living room.
This from a guy who runs several 24/7. :)

Wound up with a new HP laptop that I hated.
It made a fine PVR, running Vista Media Center.
All I got to make it happen was:
- 500 gb external USB drive off one of my FTA receivers
- $15 remote control (from Amazon)
- Silicon Dust dual HD tuner with LAN interface (around $80)

It made a good bedroom recorder, but since the drive is shared out on my LAN, I watch all recordings from the living room through a Western Digital Live TV Plus (media player box, around $80).

All the required software was already contained in Vista Home (as I recall), and everything works professionally, including an on-screen Guide!

In the end, none were satisfactory, and I gave up the idea.

I didn't like the idea of using a computer, nor having one in my living room.
This from a guy who runs several 24/7. :)

Same here. Tried it with a diamond hd years ago, and it worked ok until it would overheat. timers never worked.

We had Tivo for a while, and it was great, but $10/mo. It seems the only options for reialable OTA recording are

DTVPal DVR or the Channel Master CM-7000PAL

Since we have free cable, it would have been nice to find a unit that, like the Tivo, could do OTA + cable and the only one we found capable of doing that was the

Sony DHG-HDD250 (or 500).

All of these are old and still command big $$$$ though.

I second Anole's recommendation of a SiliconDust HDHomerun. They have a new line of tuners now which can tune premium digital cable via the use of a subscribed CableCard from your cable company and send digital cable to 3 PCs or devices without the need to rent converter boxes. Rental of the CableCard is usually a couple bucks a month.

If you're just looking for OTA, they have a dual tuner box without CableCard that works quite well. I would never consider any other OTA recording solution.

Have had a Silicon Dust HomeRun unit for 4 years. For home sharing, DVR recording and integrated EPG, it is the best solution that I have found!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)