qpsk and 8psk

They haven't made an mpeg2 receiver since around 2007.

That would mean that the newest mpeg2 receiver out there is a minimum of 6 years old.

It took lots of subscriber churn for 6 year or older equipment to still be available in large quantities.

As far as the defective 522's. it's only logical that they would have the modulator disabled if it was broken. If it worked, logic would say they would have left the modulator active.

Or...it look several years of DISH's entire customer base upgrading? Yeah, some of it is churn, but it's an unjustified assumption that most or even all of that equipment is due to churn.

And DISH/logic don't go hand in hand most of the time, that's another assumption. Logic dictates you don't release a receiver until it's ready. Yet they give you the 922, initial launch of the 722, the 622, etc...

2) The 512 is the exact same as the 510, it is just a newer version.
This is obviously NOT true. The 512 is a much more capable device with two tuners and PIP.

DIRT representatives need to be a whole lot more careful about the accuracy of their statements as they are documented for posterity and it reflects poorly when the answers are inaccurate or misleading.

Not if they were trying to make a single room unit, which is what they were doing. Same thing with the 311k.

What difference would it make if it was active? I know alot of customers who would take a single room DVR, pair it up with a UHF Remote control and use the modulator to send the signal through the entire house, as the modulated output is susposed to have a 10DB Gain over the standard channel 3 output.

All they are doing is writing software to call a 522 a 512 and basically eliminating it from running in Dual Mode, and I believe allowing it to operate on a single tuner. Why disable the output, if its not broken?

That would be as bad as what Directv was doing several years ago shipping Dual LNB's and super gluing a metal cap over one of the outputs and selling them as single LNB's. That actually made sense as the system specs called for a single LNB to be included and it was cheaper for the manufacture to make all Dual LNB's than to run 2 seperate productions. There was a value selling a Dual LNB system over a single LNB System several years ago.

But in the case of the 512, vs the 522 there is no point to go with a 522 just for the RF modulator. It would be like taking an 811 and disabling the DVI Output and the component video output because the receiver can't pick up HD anymore because its QPSK.

All they are doing is writing software to call a 522 a 512 and basically eliminating it from running in Dual Mode, and I believe allowing it to operate on a single tuner. Why disable the output, if its not broken?

That is exactly my point. If the modulated output is broken, there is no need to put a shroud over it. It's almost certainly "live" and they put a shroud over it to prevent customers from using it. There is probably no way you can turn it off in firmware. Unless somebody comes on here with a 512 whose shroud has been removed, we'll never know for sure.

That is exactly my point. If the modulated output is broken, there is no need to put a shroud over it. It's almost certainly "live" and they put a shroud over it to prevent customers from using it. There is probably no way you can turn it off in firmware. Unless somebody comes on here with a 512 whose shroud has been removed, we'll never know for sure.

DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

Thats the million dollar question.

The longer Dish waits, the more customers who will churn out meaning the less equipment they have to replace.

I think this conversion should have started by now atleast by packages. I also believe that dish is using churn/ upgrade to HD/hopper way to get old boxes out

What I don't know is how much space dish will get doing that conversion. Maybe it's not enough to justify upgrading customer boxes.

For the converted 512s, the tv2 RF out is not active. I've tried.

Side note, I like to think of the 512 (& 612 for that matter) as having 1.5 tuners. You can record 2 shows at once but not do PiP like the 722/625 in solo mode. Also, both need seperators w dpp or 2 lines. If it was an older quad with 3+ recievers, I'd probably adjust it to just have a 1k2 dish & only use a DPP44 switch if I needed #4. Fewer pieces in a system, fewer things that can go wrong...

For the record, 8PSK makes for about 30% more throughput on average than QPSK.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Because some would call and complain a port wasn't working.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You are probably right. One wonders what happens to the RF output on a 522 in single mode?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)