qpsk and 8psk

Perhaps they wanted to further differentiate between the 512/522 instead of just forcing the 512 to single mode.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Perhaps they wanted to further differentiate between the 512/522 instead of just forcing the 512 to single mode.

You may be right but I still call it "perverse". Back when I was teaching physics labs a long long time ago, programmable calculators were rather expensive. So the university bought a couple of non-programmable ones just to give our students something to help out with their lab calculations. A stupid-looking plastic shroud looked suspicious to me, so I removed it, and found a fully-functional programmable calculator underneath. This is what I mean by "perverse".

TheKrell said:
You may be right but I still call it "perverse". Back when I was teaching physics labs a long long time ago, programmable calculators were rather expensive. So the university bought a couple of non-programmable ones just to give our students something to help out with their lab calculations. A stupid-looking plastic shroud looked suspicious to me, so I removed it, and found a fully-functional programmable calculator underneath. This is what I mean by "perverse".

That's pretty cool

IBM and others sold computers with a certain size hard disk, back in "the day." If you paid to upgrade, the rep came out and just released the full capacity of the hard drive already installed in your equipment. Just par for the course, pretty much what people expected.

When I ran a shop for the Navy, Perkin Elmer "mini" I found I could rig in a much larger HDD than was installed, for very little money, and it would have been fully accessible. I would have paid out of my pocket. But I learned to improve the output of my shop like that would have meant standing at the end of a long green table, at the least. Didna do.

Being in the computer business I see chips all the time that are artificially limited by the likes of AMD/Intel/Nvidia. Whether it's clock speed, core count, shader count, etc.

There has to be something to differentiate different SKUs. You could even argue that the companies are selling "broken" chips. Most of the chips by the various companies are made on the same silicon wafers and are "binned" for their capabilities. Since the silicon can't ever be 100% pure there are "defects" that can show up in one chip but not another chip on the same wafer.

For example, the cheaper, lower-clocked chips are usually chips that run hotter and/or draw more power than the more expensive chips for any given clock speed. So they "underclock" the hotter chip to where it runs at the goal thermal design power. e.g. A 2.4GHz chip with a 95W TDP vs a virtually identical chip running at 3GHz with the same TDP. To run the cheaper chip at 3GHz it may end up with a TDP of 130W.

That's how people overclock cheaper chips to perform as well as the more expensive ones by simply installing a larger cooler. Then there's chips where only 3/4 of the chip is functional. Well instead of throwing away the "defective" chip they simply disable the faulty logic and sell the chip cheaper. Some chips are have parts disabled at the physical level (laser cut) while others are simply disable in software.

Sometimes chip makers do so well that all of their chips on the wafers can perform identically. Well, in order to make a profit, and to have different price points, chip makers will often "artificially" limit the performance on various chips, so that they can sell them cheaper than the chips that aren't limited from reaching their full potential.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

tl;dr Dish is not the only one. There are products all around you that may be "broken" but perform just fine for your budget.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Let's not forget that this entire hypothesis about 512s having a defective TV2 modulator is something Claude pulled out of his ass. He provided not a shred of evidence to support his idea. He simply keeps going back to the same argument "Why else would they disable it if it wasn't broken?" When that's already been answered a number of times. They took an older receiver and recycled it to fill a temporary need. A much wiser use of money than designing yet another MPEG2 receiver to fix a short term problem.
Claude, THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Let's not forget that this entire hypothesis about 512s having a defective TV2 modulator is something Claude pulled out of his ass. He provided not a shred of evidence to support his idea. He simply keeps going back to the same argument "Why else would they disable it if it wasn't broken?" When that's already been answered a number of times. They took an older receiver and recycled it to fill a temporary need. A much wiser use of money than designing yet another MPEG2 receiver to fix a short term problem.
Claude, THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Agreed. Definitely wasn't agreeing with Claude, I guess it kinda looked like I was, but you are right in the fact that there is absolutely no evidence that would prove his theory.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no-one had a chance to interrupt; it was really quite hypnotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

In other words, don't be fooled by those trying to manipulate you.

Last edited:
You can tell who are the star trek fans and who aren't ;)

If that was directed at me, I'm still clueless. :( I was a big fan of Star Trek until Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly started singing Row, Row, Row Your Boat around a campfire.

Well that was pretty obscure if you ask me. ;) Here I thought you were talking about 4 lights on the 512.

Re: Chain of Command, I must be getting old. I don't remember those episode at all.

Well that was pretty obscure if you ask me. ;) Here I thought you were talking about 4 lights on the 512.

Re: Chain of Command, I must be getting old. I don't remember those episode at all.

512 has 6 lights. Should've watched the vid I posted :p .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

You must not have watched them then. That was one of the most memorable story arcs they had, and that was one of the more memorable lines.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)