Quad Shield and The Naked Truth

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I still see the scene!

The DTV van is on the lawn. One guy is on a 30ft ladder with a grip on the gutter with one hand and a round dish in the other hand. The second guy is on the ground with the dish assembly instruction sheet in one hand and a compass in the other.....directing where the dish should go.

Everyone has a first day on the job. These guys were doing it together at a customer address.

Joe
Well if that was their first day then obviously who ever hired them didnt train them...says allot doesn't it.

Piss poor training is no excuse for a poor install(er).

Well if that was their first day then obviously who ever hired them didnt train them...says allot doesn't it.

Piss poor training is no excuse for a poor install(er).

Now you are getting a feel for what is going on. The thing we can't state is the ratio of ok installations to poorly attempted failures. A part of this work is to be able to see the whole installation before you even get out of the truck. Experience helps. High turn over hurts.

It is "GIT 'ER DONE!" v.s. "DO IT RIGHT." Whatever happens has to happen fast because there is another installation or service request waiting.

Joe

Well than accept a free install with new rg6 ran exterior on your home, and your quad shield cable left intact.
That technically is the rule.

Again, as I stated, this is why I do my own installs (cable-sat) and have for 21 years. All quality cable, all wallfished, quality connectors, etc.

Not that there are not quality installers out there, but I KNOW I can trust myself!

(At least I think I can!) :D

at dish we use the same fitting and they do too go onto quad shield, just take a 7/16 nutsetter or ur compression tool to push the fitting on. no need to cut or melt.

Do
It
Some
How

What is the level of shielding that D* uses? I ask because I wired my own home and my cable is thicker than that used by D*. I believe it's tri-shield, and it's been a real pain for me to get fittings on after stripping. The cable left by the D* installer is very easy to get my F-connectors onto.

What is the level of shielding that D* uses? I ask because I wired my own home and my cable is thicker than that used by D*. I believe it's tri-shield, and it's been a real pain for me to get fittings on after stripping. The cable left by the D* installer is very easy to get my F-connectors onto.

Pretty standard RG6. One braid, one layer of aluminum foil. You may need a different type connector.

Pretty standard RG6. One braid, one layer of aluminum foil. You may need a different type connector.
I got it as a kit so I would think they sent me the right connectors. If I ever need new RG6, I'll just go with a lesser shield if it isn't that important.

Now you are getting a feel for what is going on. The thing we can't state is the ratio of ok installations to poorly attempted failures. A part of this work is to be able to see the whole installation before you even get out of the truck. Experience helps. High turn over hurts.

It is "GIT 'ER DONE!" v.s. "DO IT RIGHT." Whatever happens has to happen fast because there is another installation or service request waiting.

Joe
Oh I'm no stranger to that, spent 6 years installing for E and I saw the lack of training within certain sub contractor companies on a weekly basis and the G.E.D. chant was a staple with some of the management at my old E office.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts