Status
Please reply by conversation.

gopher2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
just wonderin...
as far as DVB signals go,
what's the difference when my signal quality is 90% and when its 40%?
the picture quality is the same, is the extra signal just redundant data?

From time to time, you may come across channels that breakup or freeze when the quality is low. This usually happens around 40% for me on my receiver. Also, quality can drop during heavy rainstorms or snowstorms; therefore, a 40% quality signal may drop to 38%, and the channel may not appear at all. My receiver does a pretty good job with anything over 50% quality, and I can't tell the difference between 50 and 90.

The more quality you have means that your signal will be more resistant to storm. It depends on the receiver. With my Ariza (no blind search :no ) I only losse the signal if quality drops below 1%.

With digital TV its a Great picture or no picture, so the more quality you have the better, but you are right its the same digital picture with 50% as you get with 90% quality!

The only difference between a 50 quality and a 90 is your threshold of breakups when it rains :)

signal quality and quantity

Signal quality is in my opinion far more important than quantity. I have had some tp's have a 75 on quality and 40 on quantity or level (at least on my pansat 2500A). It does real well until quality dips below 29%, plus it depends on how much FEC the uplinker is allowing. the more FEC the lower the quality can typically go without breakup.

G10R at 123W changes somewhat considerably. Equity really plays around with the tp's power output. sometimes 11718V will go up in quality to around 70% but most of the time it runs from 40-55% on a clear day.

tp 11799V will run from 60% to 75% on a clear day.

has anyone ever had a pansat loose the audio pids on 11718V on G-10R.
Mine has done that a few times lately and I had to re-scan. :)

truckracer said:
has anyone ever had a pansat loose the audio pids on 11718V on G-10R.
Mine has done that a few times lately and I had to re-scan. :)

not here. I've lost signal but never lost audio pids

It clearly vastly dependent on the Receiver - on my Microyal 900 I get great pictures an anything above 7 and do not loose the signal unless heavy rain is falling.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts