Quest for C-Band (10' Winegard Pinnacle)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I bought a 10' Winegard dish last fall for $75. I wasted a lot of time this spring searching for a pole. Using craigslist, my wife found an irrigation guy that said he would sell me the pipe for $10 a foot. I live in Washignton, so he's 25 miles east of me in northern Idaho. We drove over yesterday and got the pipe. He let me have the flange for $35. He also gave me 2 feet of rebar, cut the holes for it and sanded the pipe. He's a real nice old guy. I spent more for the pole than the dish, but at $210 so far, I can't complain. The pole is 10 feet long. Here are some pictures.

Norman

Attachments

• Mike Rebar1.jpg
    Mike Rebar1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Mike & Rebar.jpg
    Mike & Rebar.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Mike Sanding1.jpg
    Mike Sanding1.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Ouch

Norm - congrats on the dish.
When you go to install it, start a thread and we'll help ya out. :up
?Even on things as simple as painting the pole.
Looking forward to it.

I sure will. Thank you Anole! The guy that cut the pipe recommended primer based paint. Is that correct?

Using Two Dishes With A Single Receiver!

Well ... I'm very happy with my 10' Winegard Pinnacle. It sure performs well on C-Band, it's everything I wanted in more. Again, I'm glad I listened to you guys and waited till I could find a used BUD instead of buying a new 6' dish. As you know, my original plan was to use it for Ku Band also. After fine tuning it specifically for Ku Band, I have to say that it performs pretty good. However there are some TP's that I can't get. For example, some TP's on 97W (G19) are 70%. But others (Al Jazeera)(which I watch allot), are completely gone. To resolve this problem I put my GeoSatPro 90cm dish back up. I connected it up to my 22K switch but the HH Motor (USALS) doesn't move. In order to resolve the problem I had to remove the 22K Switch. Here is how I have everything hooked up:

MICROHD > V-BOX > 2X1 22K SWITCH > PORT 1 > BUD
> PORT 2 > GEOSATPRO KU DISH

Do I need a different kind of switch? Please advise!

More BUD Pictures!

Here are a few more pictures of my BUD. I threw in a picture of my family so you'll know who you are talking too :D. One morning I was working on the BUD and I saw the big shadow it was casting on my neighbors wall (attached picture)(look who's moved in). Regarding the picture of my Family, left to right is my Daughter Dolcie (age 7), Me (age 55), my Son William Montgomery (age 6), my Wife Ada (age 52), my Wife's Cousin Gaby visiting from El Salvador. Thanks to my Family for tolerating my Ham Radio Hobby, Broadcasting Hobby, and now my FTA Hobby :D. Not to mention my rack of linux servers in the garage, and my RC Helicopters :D!

Attachments

• 20130731_074102.jpg
    20130731_074102.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 20130804_103421.jpg
    20130804_103421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • 20130804_103521.jpg
    20130804_103521.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20130804_103456.jpg
    20130804_103456.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20130804_103543.jpg
    20130804_103543.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • 20130729_160708.jpg
    20130729_160708.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
Well ... I'm very happy with my 10' Winegard Pinnacle.
It sure performs well on C-Band, it's everything I wanted in more.
Again, I'm glad I listened to you guys and waited till I could find a used BUD instead of buying a new 6' dish.
Spending money on a new 4' or 6' dish for C band is something I discourage.
Now if you get one for $20, you can have a lot of fun.
But you had the space and the time to shop, and it's doubtful you'd have spent any less on a new 6'er and motor. :up
?
.... I connected it up to my 22K switch but the HH Motor (USALS) doesn't move.
Is that an Ecoda (brand) 22khz switch?
They are pretty robust and in some circumstances will power a motor.
However, just because something might work, doesn't mean I'd always recommend it.
See if the following will work for you:

Code:
C LNB----22switch----motor----Vbox---->rcvr
. . . . . . |
Ku LNB------|
?

PS: Norm, I recommended an inexpensive and readily available anti-rust primer to KJ6EO.
Read earlier comments for full story.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/314188-Come-On-C-Band-Got-Myself-A-BUD!?p=3210146#post3210146

Last edited:
Master 0B1anole - Good suggestion regarding the placement of the switch. It's unfortunate that I put the small dish all the way on the other side of the house. It'll take 100' of RG6 to get over there and back.

Posted via Topify using Android

Looking good!
I saw the big shadow it was casting on my neighbors wall
Well, don't think there's anything to worry about, they've already 'blacked out' the windows.
If the BUDs LNBF switches band with 22Khz:
C/Ku LNBF ---100ft--|
..........................Diseqc SW--motor--VBox--receiver
Ku on motor dish-------|
I'd be willing to forgo Ku on the BUD as the 90cm dish probably performs as well, if not better. And as usually happens if you peak for max C band performance
But others (Al Jazeera)(which I watch allot), are completely gone
Don't know if you have seen thread Al Jazeera English $, It will be, really gone.

Run the cable from the MicroHD direct to the Usals motor. On the other side of the motor where the lnb connects, put your switch THERE. That should work, and your commands will be able to get to the motor without going through the switch FIRST.

If that still acts up, you either need to buy an Ecoda switch from Satelliteav's Ebay store (they pass commands) OR replace it with a 4-way (room for expansion) Diseqc switch. I'm partial to this particular diseqc switch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150584390176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Only 1.5db loss (most are 3db) and it'll pass 500ma of current. Larger size than most, but a great switch!

Last edited:
Decisions, decisions

You've handled bigger problems....and that Winegard looks great! :)
?
So, get 100' of coax, or move the Ku dish.
Between the two, I vote for moving the little dish. ;)

Looking good!
Well, don't think there's anything to worry about, they've already 'blacked out' the windows.
If the BUDs LNBF switches band with 22Khz:
C/Ku LNBF ---100ft--|
..........................Diseqc SW--motor--VBox--receiver
Ku on motor dish-------|
I'd be willing to forgo Ku on the BUD as the 90cm dish probably performs as well, if not better. And as usually happens if you peak for max C band performance
Don't know if you have seen thread Al Jazeera English $, It will be, really gone.

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I feel very fortunate to have found such a nice BUD just down theIt street from me. And, I didn't even know what I was looking at. It was you guys that knew exactly what it was and pointed me in the right direction ... THANK YOU! As a courtesy, I went to my Neighbor (who is a nice guy) and told him I was going to put it up. He was even nice enough to loan me his cement mixer, shovels, and other related tools. There are some small trees on the easement behind my house. Since I kept the BUD as low as possible, the trees hide it from the Neighbors in the Cul-de-Sac. The Neighbors have tolerated my 70' Ham Radio Tower and large HF Beams for years. I doubt that they'll even notice the BUD :D.

I went ahead and moved the small dish back over to the West side of the house. Besides, I couldn't pick up anything 72W or further East because of my trees over there. Yes, installing the switch as recommended took care of the problem. However, this switch is sticking. It sticks in the ON position and I have to turn off the MicroHD to get C Band back. The switch is an EMP-Centauri DiSEqC 2.0. Right after I post this reply, I'm going to get on Ebay and order one of the switches that you guys recommended. It could be that I damaged the switch by trying to run the HH motor through it.

I don't know how many of you speak Spanish, but C-Band is the "Mother Load" of Spanish Channels. And most of them are "good channels". I was blown away with how many of them there were on 116.8 (SatMex 8). A great selection of Movie Channels, Music Channels, Sports Channels, News Channels, very nice. Also, an impressive amount of English Channels too! C Band is where it's at no doubt.

OR replace it with a 4-way (room for expansion) Diseqc switch. I'm partial to this particular diseqc switch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150584390176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 Only 1.5db loss (most are 3db) and it'll pass 500ma of current. Larger size than most, but a great switch!

Thanks Prime! I ordered one of the switches you suggested (the one on Ebay). I'll have it in a couple days. I'll mount it under the eve of the roof out of the weather. I don't plan on putting up any more dishes .... but never say never :D. Your expert guidance is appreciated :clap

Run the cable from the MicroHD direct to the Usals motor. On the other side of the motor where the lnb connects, put your switch THERE. That should work, and your commands will be able to get to the motor without going through the switch FIRST.

If that still acts up, you either need to buy an Ecoda switch from Satelliteav's Ebay store (they pass commands) OR replace it with a 4-way (room for expansion) Diseqc switch. I'm partial to this particular diseqc switch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150584390176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Only 1.5db loss (most are 3db) and it'll pass 500ma of current. Larger size than most, but a great switch!
So what's DiSEqC 2.0? I thought that was a 1.0 switch?

So what's DiSEqC 2.0? I thought that was a 1.0 switch?

Basically, 2.0 allows communication BOTH ways. In other words, 1.0 just takes the commands that are sent out to it, and you HOPE it actually does what you command it to do. 2.0 takes the command and TELLS you (sends back confirmation) that YES, I did in fact make that switch to the other port or whatever you asked of it.

Basically, 2.0 allows communication BOTH ways. In other words, 1.0 just takes the commands that are sent out to it, and you HOPE it actually does what you command it to do. 2.0 takes the command and TELLS you (sends back confirmation) that YES, I did in fact make that switch to the other port or whatever you asked of it.
Interesting. Wonder what you could use that for? Does it solve a problem? Do any receivers use that yet? I don't recall seeing any discussion on it.

I've had blind scan results come back from the wrong satellite, have wondered if it's because the DiSEqC switch did not switch.

IF the return 'reply' from the switch were to be understood by the receiver it could display an error if there is one. I Don't think any hobbyist receiver has that capability.

The MicroHD has been proven to understand the returned signal from the STAB diseqc motors. I remember reading it in one of the threads in the receiver forum. Not sure I could even find that thread anymore since they were all thrown into the trash-basket method.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)