Question about 522 remotes

Crazy Eyes

Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I'm new to Dish and have a question about the 522. I just got an 811 and a 522 installed.

Due to previous wiring, they placed the 522 in my furnace room in the basement. Now, they assured me that both remotes for the 522 were UHF-pro remotes, but the manual says one remote is IR and one is UHF-pro. The install guy spent about 1 hr with the IR remote trying to get it to be a UHF-pro remote.

It's going to be a real pain if I have to go in my furnace room to change channels. LOL

Can anyone verify the status of the remotes? Are both UHF-pro?

After one hour of trying to make remote # 1 a UHF one, did they still assure that it is one ?? :) I have heard of people locating their receivers in a central location but maybe they use IR-repeaters to bounce the signal around their house to the 522.

I can't answer 100% -- doesn't the manual address the remotes and what each one is ?? -- but I thought one was IR (TV1) and one was UHF (TV2).

Yes, that's what I thought. I see nowhere in the manual how to setup remote #1 as a UHF remote. And I haven't been able to find anywhere online either.

:mad: This really peeves me if so, because not only did the installer lie to me but the owner of his company did as well.

I mean just put the 522 by a TV so I can use the stinking remote.

:mad:

Not a good sign for a two day user of DISH.

Wait for SimpleSimon, he knows :) I'm positive he's had some experience with installing one in a central spot. If not him, some other installer has.

Well, just got off the phone with DISH tech suppor and they said the #1 remote was only IR and I would have to buy another UHF-pro remote if the 522 was left in its current position. (Either that or go into my furnace room everytime I want to change the channel. lol)

I was also going to buy the 811 I had installed so that I could get a 322 added to my system as part of the free promotion. We have 5 TV's and the wife/kids want a tuner/remote for each TV. 4 Dish agents told me yesterday the 811 was $199 to buy outright .

Today the tech agent told me the 811 was $399.

Now I have to re-figure out what's the best option to get 5 tv's hooked up and each have a remote.

They don't sell 322's or 522's anymore. And a 301 doesn't really help me out.

:confused:

I will assume that TV2/Remote#2 works ok.

If remote #1 has a sticker on the back that says 5.0 IR, then it is NOT a UHF Pro remote and will never control TV1 via UHF.

If remote #1 is not s UHF remote, then call your installer and have them get you the RIGHT remote.

If it has 6.0 IR/UHF Pro or 8.0 UHF Pro, then it will be able to control TV1 and you are in good shape.

Continue to do the following:

Make sure that UHF is enabled for remote #1.

Press MENU-6-1-6 and see if 'ENABLE' is checked.

Make sure the remote #1 address is set to the same as what is displayed on the system info screen. (Press System Info on the front of the 522) or MENU-6-1-3 with your remote.

Primary remote address should be a number between 1 and 16 with 'UHF Pro and IR' after it. If it just says IR, it has to be changed.

To verify the remote address hold the SAT button for 3-4 seconds until all of the function lights blink, then release. The SAT button will continue to blink.

Press # twice

The SAT button will blink a number of times(1 to 16 times) telling you the remote address. If the number of 'blinks' and the number for the primary remote are different, then the address needs to be changed so they match.

Changing Remote #1 address and to IR/UHF.

Verify that you have UHF PRo enabled for TV1 as outlined above(Menu-6-1-6)

Get to the System Info screen. MENU-6-1-3

Use the up-arrow and highlight the white address # for Primary. It will turn yellow.

Press SAT and hold for 3-4 seconds.

Key in a number from 1 to 16 but not the same number as secondary remote.

Press #

The SAT light should blink 3 times.

Press the RECORD button.

The Primary address should change to the one you keyed in. and the IR should change to 'UHF PRo and IR'

Hope this helps. It sounds complex, but taken one step at a time, you should be ok.

Guess that settles it.

You may want to print out the instructions and give them to the installer for future reference. :D

Or see if the installer will give you a UHF remote for the hassle that he put you through.

Stomp-B*tch-Moan and Complain! !protest !protest

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply!!

You know your stuff for sure.

Yep the #1 remote is a 5.0 IR so its not UHF PRO compatible. Makes it more funny that the install guy spent so much time doing the above steps - over and over and over again. :p

Looks like I'll be buying a 322 off ebay - there are plenty of them brand new for sale < $50 . Better than paying $5/month to rent one.

Thanks for all your quick responses.

This is a good forum with lots of good info.

If Dish treats the 322 like they do the 522, there is an official policy now that they will NOT activate 522s for non-lease service. Be aware of that...

As for the installer(s), maybe they were half-right. They've possibly dealt with some 522 remotes that *were* UHF-capable.

Yup that's what Dish just confirmed. They will not support a non-lease 322.

They are completely inflexible and unaccomodating to a customer who just wants 5 TV's hooked via its own tuner instead of 4. I'd have to pay $399 for a 811 box, or totally scrap my HDTV and get a lowly 301 for $99. Which they then STILL charge you a $5 fee for even if you OWN the damn equipment.

Every customer service person I've talked to over the last two days gives different answers to my questions, the installer co was not that accomodating and will probably not rectify my situation within the first 3 days of the install.

So basically, I'm very unimpressed with DISH and probably screwed with what I have now --two TV's without their own tuner, a 522 in a furnace room with no remote access and an accompanying green remote thats good for nothing.

Whatever happened to satisfying the customer?

:confused:

Well, I'm late to the party, but, yes, x22's come with an IR-only #1 remote. It can be replaced with a UHF remote that will work fine. That remote is considered an upgrade to be paid for by the customer.

Most x22 installs I've heard of have been a 322 plus a 522 for 4 tuners - it was the DHA deal IIRC.

Anyway, you've got 3 tuners but want 5. It can be done, but could be aggravating. A lot depends on what satellite equipment was installed - no way for us to recommend things until you tell us what you've got in that line.

You might want to consider what your needs actually are. Start with how many people are in the house. That might be the number of tuners you need.

You have a 2-tuner DVR - that means a lot of things can be time-shifted, and depending on your viewing habits, can reduce the overall number of tuners you need.

For example, I watch a lot of HIST, DISC, and TLC. They repeat everything, so I can record it at an off-time and watch it later. See what I'm getting at? BTW, I'm a TV nut - watch WAY too much and even my 921 can't get everything the first time it's aired. No problem, I record it later. I (almost) NEVER watch live TV. :)

OK, now that you've gotten the REAL number of tuners you need, it's time to figure out how to get the video where you want it in the house. Obviously, the 811 is going to be right next to the HDTV - no options there. The 522 in the basement can send it's signals through the whole house at decent PQ. If there's 3 people in the house, you've got it licked. Someone watches the 811, and the other 2 each grab a 522 remote and go watch TV somewhere in the house. We can give you details on how to wire it up if that's your path.

So, give it some thought and post back with what you really need to do and we'll "get-r-done". :D

That's what I don't completely understand. Why you would compromise not having tuners at every TV? I know you may not be able to/need to watch all at once, but it's more of a conveniene than anything.

Functionally, the signal strength of the dish is the same as my dig cable from the pole according to my dish installer, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I have kids and a wife. Between all of us the remotes would be shuffled around and it would be a pain trying to use less than 5 tuners. Which remote was where, who was viewing which tuner, is dad on the 3 or the 21 etc.

I guess it's somthing cable users are used to.

As a side note, the dealer still hasn't showed up to complete the install, hasn't even contacted me this week. So I'm still short my companion UHF remote and a 311 that they're supposed to install to complete my 4th tuner out of the "promotion".

I had emailed the dish CEO and was given assurance that they would accomodate me with whatever option I wanted to add to get my setup like I want it. But what it really boiled down to is they really WON'T give me the setup options I want. Just a song and dance. They'd pull this string and that, dangle a carrot, but not the one I requested.

Really disappointed with DISH and wishing I had just kept my digital cable and got a couple of TIVO's.

First, the issue is that trying to hook more than 4 tuners to a single Dish 500 setup is a major aggravation for some technical reasons. Satellite is NOT cable - they do not work at all alike. In conclusion, it IS a big deal to cross the 4-tuner line.

Second, E* charges you per box (like a lot of cable companies), so minimizing the number of tuners is to your advantage.

Crazy Eyes

One good feature of the new 4-room lease program is that you are not obligated to keep the Dish system if you are not happy. Cancel at anytime with NO penality. So you always can just so NO to Dish and go back to cable. I personally would never go back to cable.

JaaGee

I realize it's extra to add more than 4 tuners. An additional switch was $79 which the installer would gladly install and I would gladly pay to have installed. The guy at the DISH admin office even admitted they have customers with 8 tuners.

But Dish refuses to let me get a 322 instead of two 311's. I believe just because they want the extra $5 receiver fee for the extra 311. Kinda hoaky if you ask me. Especially when I was guaranteed they would allow me install whatever equipment I wanted to complete my setup.

As another point, why are we as customers paying $5.99/ month to warranty DISH's equipment? It's not my equipment, I couldn't buy the 522 so why don't they warranty their own darn equipment? I could understand if it was my equipment and I wanted to provide protection for it in case it carped out. But my dig cable co for example, if one of their boxes went out, they simply replaced it - at no cost.

It's just another fee like the reciever fee and the 522 fee to make extra $.

And I'd switch in a heartbeat, but I had to sign a 1 year agreement with my INSTALLER of all people (not DISH) to have this equipment installed. If I switch, I have to pay the installer a compensatory amount. Another hoaky bit of this whole DISH process. Does DISH dock the installer if a customer doesn't maintain a contract for at least a year? So the installer tries to protect their butt?

So I'm really stuck with it for a year unless I want to fork over some $$.

Crazy Eyes said:
And I'd switch in a heartbeat, but I had to sign a 1 year agreement with my INSTALLER of all people (not DISH) to have this equipment installed. If I switch, I have to pay the installer a compensatory amount. Another hoaky bit of this whole DISH process. Does DISH dock the installer if a customer doesn't maintain a contract for at least a year? So the installer tries to protect their butt?

Yes, Dish charges back the installer the whole install amount up to 270 days after install.

Dish covers their butt, installers hang theirs in the wind....

Crazy Eyes, are you SBC Dish, or "just plain Dish" (i.e., not SBC)? If "just plain Dish", (a) are you on DHA, Free Dish, or Free-For-All; and (b) who did you sign up thru?

Hint: You should be on DHA either way; the 522 is under the same lease-only restrictions as the 322. (All SBC Dish customers are DHA.) Also, SBC doesn't support the 322--just the 311, 522, and 811. And if you're SBC Dish and your installer made you sign a contract, call SBC and complain; I don't think SBC allows that. (My installer didn't; I really am "no commitment". :D )

Bottom line: You should have ordered that 322 when you signed up. Now, all you can do is try to convince your dealer that you "ordered" the 322 and they got it wrong. (That's what really DID happen to me; I really DID ask for a 522, but SBC wrote it as a 311. I had to badger SBC for months before they finally got me the 522.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)