Question about a shady installer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vinz

Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I was looking at a two room DTV package, one R10 box and an HDTV box.
Since I am a new time customer it was free installation.
I purchased the antenna for $50 so I could get locals on my HDTV.
And there was going to be a $20 delivery fee.

Sounds good. Paid and set up the installation date at best buy.

There were many problems with the installer guys (kids actually) promising they would get here on time.. Not to elaborate on this much, I got the $20 fee waived and a 3 day late install.

When they arrived they told me that DirecTV doesn't supply them with diplexers and that they NEEDED these to do the install, it would cost $50 and would be paid to the installers and not DirecTV. I argued with them about it for a while trying to figure out what these diplexers were for. Finally I found out from them that they were used to combine the HDTV antenna line and Satellite dish line in to one cable. So I said "why not two cables?" and they finally agreed to do that.

Does DirecTV really not supply these diplexers? Is it really cheaper to install an extra 75 foot cable by not supplying these? And are diplexers really worth $50?

I didn't get a diplexer in my install, but he WAS going to do one. It should be included in the charge if its necessary. Sounds liek you had some kids wanting more money.

Diplexers do combine the satellite & antenna into one cable, but I would rather run 2 lines (I’m not an installer)

But it does sound like they wanted some extra cash. Diplexers are pretty inexpensive

I see, so I assume the signal quality is going to be a little better without the diplexers anyway. That makes me feel a little better about the situation. Thanks guys.

contact the supervisor on this, in my opinion. we sell these for well under that, they can bought for under 4 or 5 bucks a set. where do you live vinz?

$50??? I agree - thats them just trying to pocket a few bucks. Quick poke on ebay shows 4 of them for $6 + $6 for shipping. Heck, $50 is what RadioShack charges for 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)