Question about additional receivers...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Alex_p

Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
When I signed up with DISH Network, I got 2 dish's (1 for local & 1 for Arabic package). The installer asked me how many receivers I wanted. I was in a small apartment, so I just wanted one. I have since moved to a 5 bedroom house and DISH Network will not give me any additional receivers! My house is wired, so if I buy an additional receiver on E-Bay and hook it up in another room, will it work? Is it acceptable to do this? Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I don't know.
Thanks, for your attention,
Alex

Alex, you can buy another reciever and install it yourself if you'd like. Just do yourself a favor, before purchasing the reciever get the R00 number and the S00 numbers and call Dish network to see if the reciever is cleared. If there is a balance due on the reciever they will not activate it. There will be an additional outlet fee for each reciever you have after the first of $4.99 a month. I did this about a month ago and when I called to activate it I found out the card was expired. Dish sent me a new card in about 4 days and everything has been fine since.

I always worry when someone says "house is wired".

Wired for what? Cable with splitters all over? No joy that.

Do you have the outdoor equipment for multiple receivers?

Alex_p said:
I got 2 dish's (1 for local & 1 for Arabic package). The installer asked me how many receivers I wanted. ... I just wanted one. ... so if I buy an additional receiver on E-Bay and hook it up in another room, will it work?
Most Dish configurations will support 2 tuners, so the simple answer is "yes," just hook it up like the first. But it isn't quite that simple. You need to know what LNB/switch configuration you have, mainly whether it is legacy or DishPro. If it's legacy you can use any receiver though adding a dual tuner model will require a 3rd connection. If your LNBs are DishPro you will want to avoid the older legacy receivers (4-digit model numbers) because you will also have to buy a DishPro adapter.

Some possible setups:
  • Twin, Dual, SW21. Connect a 2nd SW21 same as the first for 2 single tuners or 1 dual tuner. For 3+ tuners the Twin has to be replaced and you should probably consider converting to DishPro.
  • DP Twin, DP Dual, DP21. Connect a 2nd DP21 same as the first for 2 single tuners or 1 dual tuner. Replace DP21 with DP34 for 4 tuners or DPP44 for 4 receivers any of which can be a dual tuner using a DPP Separator.
  • DP Plus Twin, DP Dual. No external switch. 2 receivers, either or both can be a dual tuner using a DPP Separator. One can be legacy w/o the adapter if the other is DishPro.
Make sure you follow wobbie's advice before you pay for a used receiver.

Stargazer said:
Are you sure the receivers at Rat Shack are not remanufactured?

just make sure that they are NIB..some are passing returns or floor models...YMMV

dhillii said:
you can get a new 311 receiver at Radio Shack for $50
That's not happening.

BTW, if anyone needs any, I've got a couple of used 301s, and an almost new 322.

Of course, all are cleared and good-to-go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)