Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Has the mesh SuperDish been released to installers yet? If not, has anybody heard when they may be coming?

Maybe Echostar is trying to wasp-proof them :)

Attachments

• NewSuperDish.jpg
    NewSuperDish.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 328
Foxbat said:
Has the mesh SuperDish been released to installers yet? If not, has anybody heard when they may be coming?

More info, please. I'm awaiting the 30in. voom dish; three installers so far haven't managed. Next appointment is next Tuesday. Meanwhile, I've found a 32in for $75 plus $25 freight to CA, 32in is only 15% more area than a 30in and perhaps not worth it. However the 30in is 62% more area than a 24in; which in turn is 48% more than the 20in. diameter.

Low angle-long penetration through mist and rain should be helped by larger size; but wind induced movement of the dish might offset the size advantage under windy conditions. ergo, I like the mesh idea; it certainly helped Big Ugly Dishes.
I'm very interested in the mesh idea on a dish of adequate size. thanks for any updates. mike

Foxbat said:

If it ever gets to the point where I need a superdish in my part of Florida, I sure hope that mesh baby is available. It should cut down on wind load quite a bit...and maybe it could even be feasable to roof mount it.

Scott posted some preliminary information about the new mesh SuperDish in his Day 3 Report from CES 2005 (that's where I got the picture, by the way.) There's also another thread that discusses the mesh SD, but it, too, ends without a definite answer.

It's been long enough that I would think someone might have seen one outside of the labs, and now that the snow is "melting" in my neck of the woods, I'm thinking about getting a SD installed and running the extra RG-6 to my home theater to support a dual tuner HD-DVR (to be named later).

Of course, re-reading these threads, I see the answer as to when we'll see the mesh SuperDish has yet to be answered.

The mesh SD registers at around 10 pts lower than the normal one, did some testing on it up here(121) 121 SD 83 121 SD Mesh 74 transponder 11. They are less susceptible to the wind though, but if it is mounted right you don't need a mesh one

Dish Dude, did you move the LNBs from the solid SD to the mesh one when you did your test? The holes in the mesh SD "should" be small enough that they would have no effect on the reflectivity of the reflector. (*ack*, that was awkward)

Properly designed (remember - we're talking about E* here), mesh dishes should have almost no loss compared to a solid dish, but they also do NOT have a lot of wind load advantage.

I echo what has already been posted - a properly installed StupiDish shouldn't have any wind issues. While I don't work in an SD area, and no one around here cares about those 4-zillion bandwidth-wasting i'nat'l channels, I DO install DirecWay, which is the same size and a bit heavier than an SD. However, it MUST be absolutely windproof (because it has a transmitter).

Use a tri-mast. End of story.

No I did not move any lnbs at all the whole assembly came lnbs and all. They also did testing on it for rain fade down in Georgia

I never lose signal when it rains unless it's REALLY bad and strong winds. I lost my signal yesterday because it was hailing, maybe it was from the hail hitting the dish but was some crazy weather in florida yesterday. Hows mesh improve over fiberglass?

negligible effect on the rain fade, as well as the wind resistance. But for all who were wondering I have pics of the 121 standalone dish that gets better single and is more emi resistant

Attachments

• FSS 121 Dish 007 (2).jpg
    FSS 121 Dish 007 (2).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 215
here is another one, as you can see it is slightly larger than the regular SD but does have added benifits

Attachments

• FSS 121 Dish 017.jpg
    FSS 121 Dish 017.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 219
The LNB looks different, whys that?

I have a superdish but it's for 105, it's the fiberglass one (no bolts on front) and a webnet on the back. Mine also looks wider but again I never lose signal unless it's raining very very hard and windy with storms and the whole fireworks. I only lost signal during the hail storm 2 nights ago, at least nothing dented which is good.

I like the fiberglass dishes better than the metal ones. They do not bend or ding like the metal ones do. You can also attach the DP-34 onto the back of the dish and its more sturdy.

The lnb is built a little different it has better shielding and increased signal, this is for the 121 I do not know if they make one for the 105, but this has worked almost everywhere we have had emi signal problems with the standard SD. Put up a dish 500 and one of these and you end up with 119 105signal, 110 100signal, and 121 95signal, compared to a 121 SD kit, 119 95signal 110 95signal and 121 75signal

Dish Dude said:
The lnb is built a little different it has better shielding and increased signal, this is for the 121 I do not know if they make one for the 105, but this has worked almost everywhere we have had emi signal problems with the standard SD. Put up a dish 500 and one of these and you end up with 119 105signal, 110 100signal, and 121 95signal, compared to a 121 SD kit, 119 95signal 110 95signal and 121 75signal
I think thats because the metal one is harder to align than the plastic one. Unfortunatly I have the metal one and yes they do make one for 105.

Byrdwatcher are you in a 105 or 121 market? If so have you guys used the standalone for emi issues as well? I hope this can help all those guys with the nice signal drops on these birds due to terrestrial interference, god knows it has been a life saver up here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)