Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I just got an AZBox Elite HD - - - thanks phlatwound

Anyway, so far the first thing I did was update the firmware to 0.9.5309 using a USB - - no issues.

i have several questions how folks are setup using an AZBox.

Do most folks have them setup using a Loop out from another receiver? I ask this because the AZBox does some scanning but really does not do Blind Scan. If so which receiver is best as the Blind Scan box?

Second, I read a lot about OpenMOD and OpenRSI and other non-original firmwares for the AZBox but I don't want to brick my brand new toy and it seems you need to be a Linux guru to even try these. What is the good, the bad and the ugly about these non-original firmwares for the AZBox?

many thanks

You should be using 0.9.5402 which is the latest firmware. It is available at http://fw.azbox.ca

While the Elite does not have hardware blindscan, you can still scan a frequency range for a specific SR rate. This is useful on satellites with transponders that mostly use the same SR such as 22000 on 97w

The current AzBox miniMe American Edition model has a powerful hardware blindscan that works very well when using the latest firmware on it.

None of the 3rd party firmwares for the AzBox HD lineup of receivers (i.e. Elite, Premium, Ultra and Premium Plus) are suitable for the American market.

Last edited:
I just got an AZBox Elite HD - - - thanks phlatwound

Anyway, so far the first thing I did was update the firmware to 0.9.5309 using a USB - - no issues.

i have several questions how folks are setup using an AZBox.

Do most folks have them setup using a Loop out from another receiver? I ask this because the AZBox does some scanning but really does not do Blind Scan. If so which receiver is best as the Blind Scan box?

Second, I read a lot about OpenMOD and OpenRSI and other non-original firmwares for the AZBox but I don't want to brick my brand new toy and it seems you need to be a Linux guru to even try these. What is the good, the bad and the ugly about these non-original firmwares for the AZBox?

many thanks
5309 is the last fw version to come from Opensat the makers of the AZ..5402 is not an Opensat fw!..I have played with 5402 and did not like the recording abilities of high FEC feeds compared to 5309.I have found that 5309 and a old fw 5020 are the most stable fw`s that Opensat has put out.

Slave an AZ..No way!!!..An AZ is the KING and all of mine here run the dish farm wether it be moving a dish by way of Diseqc commands mated with a Vbox,Gbox or the new ASC1..( ASC1 bugs getting worked out and very nice positioner ) or tied into the switching for fixed dish`s..The AZElite does not have hardware blindscan but it really does not matter as even if you had a blindscanning model like the Ultra or Premium Plus you would soon see they are slower than watching paint dry and editing is a real pain unless you have programs like AZEdit,MAZ and the ACC program in place.Which BTW is a very good idea if you are an AZ owner.

Good idea for blindscanning would be using a cheaper unit like an Amiko mini HD or an openbox for scanning..As a slave from the AZ!.

There is a learning curve with an AZ but you will see it is worth it.

Have fun with the new toy.

Last edited:
Good idea for blindscanning would be using a cheaper unit like an Amiko mini HD or an openbox for scanning..As a slave from the AZ!.

What a great suggestion - in fact i just did it. I looped out off the AZBox to my microHD (AZ primary and micro secondary). All motor controls come off the AZBox. I can now blind scan any satellite using the micro and if I find something cool move the data over to the AZBox and scan it back in.

Best of both worlds!!

Thanks - - Hockeynut !!

5309 is the last fw version to come from Opensat the makers of the AZ..5402 is not an Opensat fw!..I have played with 5402 and did not like the recording abilities of high FEC feeds compared to 5309.I have found that 5309 and a old fw 5020 are the most stable fw`s that Opensat has put out.

I use 5402, much better in my opinion that 5309. 5309 had too many "broken" functions (meaning functions that worked well in previous versions but were screwed up by subsequent releases). Re-naming of channels, and, broken AZBox to PC streaming, to be specific. Both were fixed in 5400/5402. Prior to the release of 5400/5402, I always backed down to 5306, where AZBox to PC streaming still functioned (but the re-naming of channels had to only be done in Advance Scan in the Settings screen, as it would screw up things if done in the TV channel list).

I use 5402, much better in my opinion that 5309. 5309 had too many "broken" functions (meaning functions that worked well in previous versions but were screwed up by subsequent releases). Re-naming of channels, and, broken AZBox to PC streaming, to be specific. Both were fixed in 5400/5402. Prior to the release of 5400/5402, I always backed down to 5306, where AZBox to PC streaming still functioned (but the re-naming of channels had to only be done in Advance Scan in the Settings screen, as it would screw up things if done in the TV channel list).

Did more streaming with PC to AZ than the other way around when there were iptv ch`s worth watching..5309 worked fine for that!...Renaming ch`s is always best to use MAZ and back it up using the ACC program.No corruption this way.

Did more streaming with PC to AZ than the other way around when there were iptv ch`s worth watching..5309 worked fine for that!...Renaming ch`s is always best to use MAZ and back it up using the ACC program.No corruption this way.

The PC to AZBox was never broken, only used it a couple of times myself (streaming things via VLC, more as a test than anything useful). Other than when the re-naming of channels was broken in the fw (which was easily corrected by re-naming them in Advance Scan) I don't recall having any corruption. Plus I always back-up constantly before and after adding channels, moving channels, etc., once I am sure there are no problems (plus I regularly put a copy on one of my computers).

The PC to AZBox was never broken, only used it a couple of times myself (streaming things via VLC, more as a test than anything useful). Other than when the re-naming of channels was broken in the fw (which was easily corrected by re-naming them in Advance Scan) I don't recall having any corruption. Plus I always back-up constantly before and after adding channels, moving channels, etc., once I am sure there are no problems (plus I regularly put a copy on one of my computers).
I have never noticed any issues with any fw when it comes to renaming ch`s but then I don`t do it the way you described Keith Brannen..Only MAZ and ACC for this..Yeah I keep a updated list for all my AZ`s on the pc and it is wise to do.Good for the op to be up on this!.

Yeah I keep a updated list for all my AZ`s on the pc and it is wise to do.Good for the op to be up on this!.

Definitely! Even if the back-up on the computer is a month or two old, at least you have a good starting point (rather than starting over completely) if your back-up on USB is also corrupted.

FYI I've got a version of AZ Elite, Ultra, Premium firmware that's 5311? I've never run it but I do have a copy on the hard drive of this computer.

Even though the 54xx firmware series was not authored by Opensat, it does not make it inferior. On the contrary, nearly everyone who tried it such as Keith Brannen agrees it is the best version out there except Rick's followers of course. :rolleyes: Also, the bugs causing eventual channel list corruption were resolved when using the receiver to manage your channels but I guess you are OK in using your computer instead. Settings in the Priority Manager plugin can be adjusted in order to allocate more resources for high bitrate recording.

Don't worry, we won't be wasting any additional development resources in releasing new versions for the Premium, Elite, Premium Plus and Ultra receivers so you can tell Rick to stop his anti-AzBox Canada campaign now. :eek:

Last edited:
Even though the 54xx firmware series was not authored by Opensat, it does not make it inferior. On the contrary, nearly everyone who tried it such as Keith Brannen agrees it is the best version out there except Rick's followers of course. :rolleyes: Also, the bugs causing eventual channel list corruption were resolved when using the receiver to manage your channels but I guess you are OK in using your computer instead. Settings in the Priority Manager plugin can be adjusted in order to allocate more resources for high bitrate recording.

Don't worry, we won't be wasting any additional development resources in releasing new versions for these receivers so you can tell Rick to stop his anti-AzBox Canada campaign now. :eek:
I stated a fact about 5402 fw,I just put it out there that I did not like its recording abilities of mainly S2 8psk high FEC feeds.Yes using the computer with the programs I mentioned is always a good idea if your a Premium.Premium Plus,Ultra or Elite owner.

As far as Rick goes it sounds like you have a beef...Not my problem..You can get in touch with him any way you wish to handle your AzBox Canada drama!!!

Last edited:
In what way did I bash Rick? I did not call him names or anything just stating the facts.
And another FACT pwrsurge.....Any thread that has turned to bashing you at Ricks I have never jumped in and joined the beating and you will never find a post by me doing so!

Don`t bring me into your issues with Rick!!!!!!

As far as Rick goes it sounds like you have a beef...Not my problem..You can get in touch with him any way you wish to handle your AzBox Canada drama!!!

We already have contacted him a few times in the past in order to work things out but got no reply. If he was willing to work things out, he would have certainly contacted us again by now!

We already have contacted him a few times in the past in order to work things out but got no reply. If he was willing to work things out, he would have certainly contacted us again by now!
Read post # 16 again pwrsurge...I am done with this as it is taking away from chapelruns thread.

Guys, I appreciate all the input. I got my problems solved - - - the thread has kinda spun out into left field somewhere. Here is my take away.

The 0.9.5xxx firmware's are the best specifically 0.9.5309, 5020 and 5402 (thanks for the great feedback)

AZBox should be my primary receiver (thanks for the great suggestion Hockeynut!!)

Non-Original firmwares like OpenMOD and OpenRSI and others are NOT for the North American market (thanks pwrsurge)

For the mod's - - - - since we seem to be done here I recommend this thread be closed.

Thanks to all. :)

Guys, I appreciate all the input. I got my problems solved - - - the thread has kinda spun out into left field somewhere. Here is my take away.

The 0.9.5xxx firmware's are the best specifically 0.9.5309, 5020 and 5402 (thanks for the great feedback)

AZBox should be my primary receiver (thanks for the great suggestion Hockeynut!!)

Non-Original firmwares like OpenMOD and OpenRSI and others are NOT for the North American market (thanks pwrsurge)

For the mod's - - - - since we seem to be done here I recommend this thread be closed.

Thanks to all. :)
1 thing to keep in mind chapelrun is if you go back to older Opensat fw such as 5020 you will have to save your current NA sat list.Anything before 5308 has all the European sats.

Have fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)