question about cable wiring for VOOM

nupe009

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm getting Voom installed in a few weeks and I've been reading the information here. I've learned that I should have the installer run 2 cables and not use the diplexer. That leaves wondering me how they run the cables. I currently have TW cable running to all of the major rooms in my house but I will be dropping them and keeping road runner. Do the installers use the existing wiring or do they run new wires to the rooms where Voom wil be? If they run new cable how do they run it since fishing the cables in the wall is extra. I would also like to know if I should expect to see all of my OTA channels before the installer leaves. I've checked and most of the Of the OTA stations are within 10 - 20 miles so I believe that I shoud be able to recieve them. Will I need to wait for some updates before I can see the OTA channels. I don't want to let the installer leave before everything is working as it should.

nupe009,

welcome

If you are keeping road runner, it will be better to run two new lines. The free installation does not include wall fishing so if you want this, it will be extra. Right now the OTA stations really depends whether your zipcode has been mapped to your local stations. Go to the following link, put your zipcode and see if the stations showed up. This link correspond to the stations mapped to your zipcode and what will appear in your pg.

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

The OTA stations should appear immediately if they are mapped.

Thanks. I am aware that running the coax in the walls will be extra but that leaves me wondering what installers do with the wire on a basic install. Do they just run cables from the attic and along the floor. I am new to satellite so please excuse my ignorance. When a diplexer isnt used, do the installers run the 2 cables to a dual coax wall plate (if inwall cable)? I would prefer if they run the cable to the existing outlet and disconnect the current cable because I don't want any more wall plates. I currently have 4 binding post wallplates for my inwall speakers and one coax wallplate for cable. I'll probably call the installer to let him know that I don't want diplexers and that I may need the coax run in the walls.

I checked my zip code on the link that was sent and it appears that my zipcode is already mapped for the local OTA stations.

nupe,

I do not know the answers to your specific questions but all of this is doable. A good installer should be able to do it at your request.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)