Question about canceling contract with Dish

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi everyone.

We're considering canceling our contract with Dish, and though I knew we'd be paying a fee for leaving before the end of our contract what I was just told by Dish seems nuts! I'd like some input from the group or the Dish reps if possible.

Basically here's our story. We signed-up for Dish around February 2015 (give or take) with a Joey and a Hopper. Then we moved last summer and in the new house in September we added a second Joey around September 2015. I assumed we would've owed $20 left per month on our contract from February 2015 (11 months - $220) or worse case they would say our contract was started back over after the move with 18 months ($360) after moving. Well they say I owe both! $220 plus $360, so $580! Seriously? We got two receivers when we first signed-on in Feb 2015 and they're not charging us two fees for both of those so why would they charge a new fee for the new receiver? Again I can see them saying our contract started over after we moved since we did do Dish Pause for a few months, but this seems nuts! And she said even if we sent back the second Joey we added in September we still would owe for it if we left.

Anyway, just wanted some input since this sounds completely nuts. I've always liked Dish, we've used them off and on for many years, but mostly we go 2-3 years then 'cut the cord' for a while then go back for one reason or another. Just now I'm finding i can do everything i need on my Roku so we figured why not cancel. I'd be wiling to pay the $220 or even $360, but not $580!.

Thanks --

First, I agree with you that is nuts. Unless I am just not thinking it through correctly there can't be two termination fees on one account. I also do not think you should be starting a new contract when you add a receiver, that's not an upgrade. My opinion $220 is the correct amount. Don't bother with the DISH phone CSR's, contact a DIRT member here (They are DISH reps) and get the correct answer.

I guess I always thought that anytime I added a new receiver, I would be changing my contract date starting with that new add. I'd love to know that I am wrong!

Last edited:
I guess I always thought that anytime I added a new receiver, I would be changing my contract date starting with that new add. I hope I'd love to know that I am wrong!
That's what I was just told when I asked about going from Joey 2 to Joey 4k. Had H3 & Joey2 installed early Feb, if I switched to 4kJoey it would start new 2 yr contract upon installation (& would require a tech visit to switch boxes, waste of a tech to do something I can do in less than 10 minutes with no way for DIRT to override).

Reactions: xfoneguy
That's what I was just told when I asked about going from Joey 2 to Joey 4k. Had H3 & Joey2 installed early Feb, if I switched to 4kJoey it would start new 2 yr contract upon installation (& would require a tech visit to switch boxes, waste of a tech to do something I can do in less than 10 minutes with no way for DIRT to override).
That's just plain ridiculous.

I started with Dish in 2014, moved from UT to ID Oct 2014 and Dish sent out an installer to install equipment, wiring and new dish, and my contract expired as of March 6 2016. They did not start a new contract wen I moved.

Your contract will be for the higher cost of the two. The only time you're charged for dual commitments is when one of them is for Internet.

Reactions: ZachS@DISH
There is no contract extension for Dish mover. There is generally no contract extension to add a receiver. Going from a Joey 2 to Joey 4K is NOT adding a receiver, it is upgrading and that can start a contract and that's why Peggy97850 was told that. Going from a VIP receiver to a Hopper is not adding a receiver it is an upgrade. I still see no answer that supports he should paying for a new contract, and obviously not both.

I think you'd be better off purchasing the 4k and then just mail the 2 back to Dish. It would probably cost about the same considering you wouldn't need a tech visit and it wouldn't extend your contract either.

I think you'd be better off purchasing the 4k and then just mail the 2 back to Dish. It would probably cost about the same considering you wouldn't need a tech visit and it wouldn't extend your contract either.
Only had H3 installed Feb, so "new" contract is not a big deal, tech visit is covered under PP for now, just a pain in the ** having to wait around for a tech to do something that takes 10 min, all that needs to be done is unplug & set it up, nothing difficult. (4kJoey is $150 at Dish Depot)

There is no contract extension for Dish mover. There is generally no contract extension to add a receiver. Going from a Joey 2 to Joey 4K is NOT adding a receiver, it is upgrading and that can start a contract and that's why Peggy97850 was told that. Going from a VIP receiver to a Hopper is not adding a receiver it is an upgrade. I still see no answer that supports he should paying for a new contract, and obviously not both.
Are you sure there isn't a contract extension for adding an additional room under the leased service agreement?

I'm fairly sure unless you buy it out right, you upgraded your system.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active