Question about CONUS locals 77W

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I was thinking about "moving" to get Little Rock locals off of 77w, but I see they are also on a spotbeam on 61.5, my question is, since I can't see the spotbeam, which satellite will the receivers default to in order to receive the locals, the transponder on 77 or 61.5?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that statement, they are on both Echostar 16 and Quetzsat 1, I wanted to know if anyone more knowledgeable on the subject than myself would have an idea. Your reply does not make sense and does not seem to be germane to the question at hand.

Last edited:
I was thinking about "moving" to get Little Rock locals off of 77w, but I see they are also on a spotbeam on 61.5, my question is, since I can't see the spotbeam, which satellite will the receivers default to in order to receive the locals, the transponder on 77 or 61.5?

I believe the way it works is that the receiver builds a lookup table of the available transponders you can see and their content based on the DVB headers, and when you tune to a channel it consults that table. So in short, if you can't see 61.5 but can see 77, and a channel is available on 77, it will automatically go there.

If you can see both, I believe it has a priority list. I don't know which between 61.5 and 77 is higher in priority. My guess would be that a CONUS beam is higher priority than a spot beam though, because a particular viewer could be in solid CONUS but on the very edge of a spot.

If you can see both, I believe it has a priority list. I don't know which between 61.5 and 77 is higher in priority. My guess would be that a CONUS beam is higher priority than a spot beam though, because a particular viewer could be in solid CONUS but on the very edge of a spot.

You are being entirely too reasonable! So dish will no doubt prioritize on 61.5. ;)

I believe the way it works is that the receiver builds a lookup table of the available transponders you can see and their content based on the DVB headers, and when you tune to a channel it consults that table. So in short, if you can't see 61.5 but can see 77, and a channel is available on 77, it will automatically go there.

Thanks

All of my receivers are Hoppers, so if they don't get 'em I don't think anything Dish has will.

Just because a CONUS signal is on a satellite you can see, it doesn't mean your receiver is authorized to decode it.

Not quite sure who gets CONUS channels, but even when Dish had DNS, the DNS channels were different from the CONUS signals.

Just because a CONUS signal is on a satellite you can see, it doesn't mean your receiver is authorized to decode it.

Not quite sure who gets CONUS channels, but even when Dish had DNS, the DNS channels were different from the CONUS signals.
Dish has to "authorize" them. You just chat with them and tell them you want to move your service address. They don't ask any questions or want to know any thing else and you don't provide any more information than that.

Reactions: nelson61
In case anyone wonders, it worked. I got a Dish aligned at 77W, called and "moved" to an address in the DMA, and all the Hoppers pick them up off of the CONUS transponder.

I wonder how much bigger the Beckley DMA got after the Pittsburgh CONUS locals disappeared. :)

I just picked Little Rock because it had a MeTV station that is carried by Dish. I can't pick up the MeTV station reliably on my antenna, so I'll enjoy it as long as they stay on 77W. No big deal whenever they leave, I know it's not permanent.

In case anyone wonders, it worked. I got a Dish aligned at 77W, called and "moved" to an address in the DMA, and all the Hoppers pick them up off of the CONUS transponder.

It's really not Conus. (continental US). Only covers the southern third to half of the US.

It's really not Conus. (continental US). Only covers the southern third to half of the US.
Are you just referring to the transponder that has Little Rock locals on? Because not long ago 77W had Pittsburgh locals, which is not in the southern half of the US.

You must be thinking about Echostar 8, Quetzsat 1 covers all of the U.S., albeit much stronger over the southern 2/3 of the continent.

Last edited:
You must be thinking about Echostar 8, Quetzsat 1 covers all of the U.S., albeit much stronger over the southern 2/3 of the continent.

Quetsat has a little bloop that reaches to Pittsburg. And, no it is not Conus and does not cover the entire continental US (conus) beam.

The reason is-- it is too close to 82 and would cause canadian interference if it covered the border states.

Got to eat my words. Went back and checked the maps and yes it can be considered Conus with 50 minimum dbw coverage.

Been too long since I looked at that data.

Got to eat my words. Went back and checked the maps and yes it can be considered Conus with 50 minimum dbw coverage.

Been too long since I looked at that data.
You guys seem to know something of Dish on QuetzSat 1, I live in Panama and am trying to setup Dish USA on 77 QuetzSat 1 (basically the only sat I can hope to see down here), I have a VIP922 receiver and it is able to say that it is on 77w sat but basically no signal.
I also have an FTA receiver that I connected to the same circular LNB and I can get a strong signal and even see the free demo channel on a DISH MEXICO transponder on QuetzSat 1, and I can scan all the DISH MEXICO transponders with the FTA rcvr BUT I CANNOT get a signal from any of the DISH USA transponders! , I am obviously lined up properly with the dish, Is it possible DISH USA on 77 use a linear transponder(or is that a stupid question? I am a bit of a newbie) WHY do you thing I get strong signal on DISH MEXICO but nothing on DISH USA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)