Question about current setup for new install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryotgz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
USA
I currently have Dish for TV and a Cable modem for the internet. The cable co. does not filter out the local HDs (clear QAM) so I can split the connection get local HD if needed. So I purchased some satellite/antenna splitters to combine the cable and satellite lines into one and then re-split it back behind the TV. One connection goes to the TV, the other to the Receiver.

My question-

I am getting DirecTV installed in a few weeks. Should I unhook our current setup so it's just straight satellite going to the TV instead of the combined run? It works great so far, but don't want them to say its unsupported and won't mess with it. Not sure what their policy on combining lines are.

I currently have Dish for TV and a Cable modem for the internet. The cable co. does not filter out the local HDs (clear QAM) so I can split the connection get local HD if needed. So I purchased some satellite/antenna splitters to combine the cable and satellite lines into one and then re-split it back behind the TV. One connection goes to the TV, the other to the Receiver.

My question-

I am getting DirecTV installed in a few weeks. Should I unhook our current setup so it's just straight satellite going to the TV instead of the combined run? It works great so far, but don't want them to say its unsupported and won't mess with it. Not sure what their policy on combining lines are.

You'll be getting your locals in HD over the D* feed, right ?
If so, I would skip the other stuff, but it really doesn't matter as long as you have a HD Video input , HDMI to put the D* into, they should not care what else you have going on.

I have the local HD from the cable co. combined to the same line in case the satellite goes out in a bad storm. I had to promise my wife we could always get the weather if it goes out. That and OTA goes out before satellite will.

I have the local HD from the cable co. combined to the same line in case the satellite goes out in a bad storm. I had to promise my wife we could always get the weather if it goes out. That and OTA goes out before satellite will.

Why does your OTA go out before the sat ?
You need to adjust your antenna some.

Don't think I would try combining sat and cable signals, that would be bad ....
I would run direct lines for the D*

From what I was told from my very competent technician....MRV functionality doesn't not survive through diplexers.

Not sure if your using it or not, but I thought you'd want to know.

Why does your OTA go out before the sat ?
You need to adjust your antenna some.

Don't think I would try combining sat and cable signals, that would be bad ....
I would run direct lines for the D*

Where we live the stations come from all different directions. I would need a good outside antenna to pick them all up. I've had our combined for over a year and had no issues. Didn't think it would be huge problem since they use different frequencies.

From what I was told from my very competent technician....MRV functionality doesn't not survive through diplexers.

Not sure if your using it or not, but I thought you'd want to know.

I plan on using MRV through the ethernet cable I ran instead of through the coax. So that shouldn't be an issue right?

Where we live the stations come from all different directions. I would need a good outside antenna to pick them all up. I've had our combined for over a year and had no issues. Didn't think it would be huge problem since they use different frequencies.

Are you sure that the Cable, OTA and D* all work on different frequencies ?

Are you sure that the Cable, OTA and D* all work on different frequencies ?

I don't use OTA anymore, but I was fairly sure clear QAM and satellite did. Since you can't use cable splitter for satellite since they are on different frequencies. OTA & Cable may be a different story.

If you get MRV you cant diplex the cable in with the dtv ...

MRV uses the same freqs for ota and cable hence why diplexing is not supported in mrv install as it would break the mrv function.

If you get MRV you cant diplex the cable in with the dtv ...

MRV uses the same freqs for ota and cable hence why diplexing is not supported in mrv install as it would break the mrv function.

Even if you use the network connection instead of rg6 for mrv?

If you want "supported" MRV, you will need to use DECA using the existing cable. If you use the ethernet jacks, it's unsupported. It can still be done, just doesn't work as well in my experience. (I've used both and prefer DECA, even with my wired network)

Personally, I wouldn't diplex satellite signals, especially with SWiM. If running an Ethernet cable was easy, so should running another run of RG6.

If you want "supported" MRV, you will need to use DECA using the existing cable. If you use the ethernet jacks, it's unsupported. It can still be done, just doesn't work as well in my experience. (I've used both and prefer DECA, even with my wired network)

Personally, I wouldn't diplex satellite signals, especially with SWiM. If running an Ethernet cable was easy, so should running another run of RG6.

I'm OK with the unsupported setup, but what didn't work well in your experience? I would run another rg6, but I don't have anything to drill through brick.

Last edited:
ryotgz your going to have to choice you will face alot of issues with unsupported mrv. Swim works great with ota diplexing but you might loose some qam channels though with swim.

What you could do is just run your line that you have now as strictly ota and then make the installer install a new line for the satellite if it that important to you.

What you could do is just run your line that you have now as strictly ota and then make the installer install a new line for the satellite if it that important to you.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Great idea. I was trying to find a way to get the installer to run a new line and that is it. Believe me a happy wife is important to me. I get yelled at enough as it is.

he should have dual RG6 wire on him, so it's just one wider cable he needs to run...plus a dual instead of single wall plate. It was no issue at all for my installer....but I did get lucky to get a great installer.

he should have dual RG6 wire on him, so it's just one wider cable he needs to run...plus a dual instead of single wall plate. It was no issue at all for my installer....but I did get lucky to get a great installer.

Good idea as well. I'll see if he can replace the existing run with dual rg6. I don't think the current run to the living room is true rg6 anyways, but the Dish installer said it was good enough.

Will a DirecTV installer fish a line up though a wall from a basement? My living room tv is on an interior wall and would be better than drilling through the floor.

Good idea as well. I'll see if he can replace the existing run with dual rg6. I don't think the current run to the living room is true rg6 anyways, but the Dish installer said it was good enough.

Will a DirecTV installer fish a line up though a wall from a basement? My living room tv is on an interior wall and would be better than drilling through the floor.

Technically, every fished wire should be a fee.....but....ways around it.

1. Offer him a tip to do it (like $20 or something.)

2. If your getting...say 4 receivers, say you'll just have him run two rooms if he'll fish one of them. That's what I did, I had 5 receivers on my order. Could have made him wire 5 rooms. Instead had him wire two, both fishes with two runs each, and let him hook up two receivers in each room as part of the install. In the long run, saved him time.

3. Bite the bullet and pay the fee.

Technically, every fished wire should be a fee.....but....ways around it.

I've also considered going ahead and cutting the whole in the wall, putting in a low voltage box, and getting the fish tape where all you have to do is tape the wire to it and pull. That would be easier than him having to drill through the floor. But we get back from vaca the day before that so not sure if I will have time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)