Question about DD 5.1 on Voom/HD locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RickyEarl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I have a 622 and a Yamaha receiver conected via optical cable. On HBOHD, STARZHD, SHOHD, ESPNHD, and all of the other HD channels numbered below the Voom networks, it sounds pretty good.

On all the Voom channels, however, and sometimes on the Dish HD locals (CBS particularly - "Two and a Half Men" last night for example), the sound becomes very "echo-y" and I have to basically turn my rear speakers down to near nothing and turn delay all the way down before it's listenable. I then have to turn it all right back up when I switch to HBOHD or one of the other lower-numbered HD channels, or it sounds like my parents TV from the 70's. Not a major deal, but definitely a PITA.

What gives? Is it my receiver or the way these channels are broadcast?

I understand that Dish many not be able to control what CBS does program-to-program, but why would all the Voom channels sound so different than HBOHD, HDNET, etc. It's not like that's happening occasionally - it's constant.

I haven't noticed any 5.1 audio problems on any of the Voom or other HD channels. I have a Pioneer receiver in the den and a Philips in the living room. Both are connected with optical cables. I set the speaker levels with a sound meter and the delay according to the actual speaker distance to the seating area. Both are set to straight Dolby digital with all enhancements (theater, stadium, stage, etc.) turned off. If you are getting an echo effect it almost sounds like the delay is set for longer than needed to compensate for the distance difference between the front and surround speakers, or some type of sound field enhancement is turned on that creates a reverb effect.

There are no problems. Each service has its own way of mixing the 5 channels. The Voom channels can sound as if the rear channels are booming some times. If you have any kind of enhancement that would sound good on HBO or TNT or whatever, it is extremely loud though the rear speakers on Voom. That is just they way they are.

See ya
Tony

Oh, well. That wasn't the answer I'd hoped for, but at least I know it's not my equipment. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)