Question about Diplexers and Splitters

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Corey Gilles

Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
I understand what each one does on their own, however I am curious how they work in conjunction.
I have an OTA antenna and a satellite. I am using diplexers to combine the signals outside the house and then split them back out at the receiver using only one RG6.
My question is what would happen if I were to put a 3 way splitter in between the 2 diplexers? Would that combined signal get slit properly or not? I am guessing it will not work.
I have a detached building that I would like to be able to watch both satellite and OTA in. I was trying to get away with not having to purchase a seperate OTA antenna for that location

My question is what would happen if I were to put a 3 way splitter in between the 2 diplexers?

If "between the 2 diplexers" means in the combined satellite and antenna feed, the answer is "No". If you mean after the diplexer at the receiver end, then yes, that would work for the OTA antenna signal.

Reactions: satnewb
If he has a Hopper setup, won't diplexers mess that up? Don't diplexers interfere with the MoCA signal? I know he didn't state he had any Hoppers I was just thinking that might need pointing out if he did.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I know there are satellite band splitters (up through 2G). You'd need to be careful on frequency range and power passing.

Do you have multiple lines coming from your dish? If so, split the OTA, run each end of the split into a diplexer, run to your two locations, and then diplex at the other end.

So, one splitter, four diplexers. I do this at my house.

I didn't figure I could split the "diplexed" signal but figured I would ask the people who would know for sure. Sam what you are recommending makes sense. As of now I am only running one cable from my LNB, but you are saying I can run an additional line from the LNB and configure it like you said right? The only port on the LNB i am currently using is 1, so I guess I would just connect this to output 2.
Thanks for the input.

the only thing diplexers do is allow frequencies of two different frequencies to share the same cable run.

basically diplexers are useful for dual room setups and they can be used to to mirror non hd video signals back into other rooms over coax.

I didn't figure I could split the "diplexed" signal but figured I would ask the people who would know for sure. Sam what you are recommending makes sense. As of now I am only running one cable from my LNB, but you are saying I can run an additional line from the LNB and configure it like you said right? The only port on the LNB i am currently using is 1, so I guess I would just connect this to output 2.
Thanks for the input.
What satellite service do you have? With Dish you need at least 2 cables coming out(right?) of the LNB,unless,I guess,you have only one ViP DVR(with separator)/receiver hooked up. With a Directv SWM LNB,you'd have only one cable running to a splitter,then to your receivers.

So, one splitter, four diplexers. I do this at my house.

Piker. ;) I have my antenna running into a 4-output distribution amp, and from there into 4 diplexers, with 4 more at the other end of each cable, for a total of 8 diplexers.

What satellite service do you have? With Dish you need at least 2 cables coming out(right?) of the LNB,unless,I guess,you have only one ViP DVR(with separator)/receiver hooked up. With a Directv SWM LNB,you'd have only one cable running to a splitter,then to your receivers.
I have two lines coming out of my Dish feeding (through the diplexers) a 211 and a 612.