Question about DIRECTV installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CatcherInTheRye

Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Hi everyone, I'm about to join the DTV family (getting mine set up in a couple of weeks) - I do have one question though.

I bought the new deal DTV is running where you get Sunday Ticket/DVR, etc. all for $69 for the first four months, including free installation.

However, I've read and heard that the installation actually isn't "free", because the person hooking it up tries to convince you to pay $1,000 for some type of custom installation in reality you don't even need.

My question is, if anyone here has come across this, what exactly is this custom installation that they will offer, and what do you say to them when they do? Just, "I don't need that"? I don't know all that much about satellites and how to hook them up, and my wife is likely to be the only one home when they come to install it and I know that she can probably be convinced into it.

If anyone here can give a little heads up on this and what to say when they offer it I'd appreciate it, thank you.

SIDENOTE: I realize this is a totally dumb newbie question, but I have no idea how any of this works, and I've heard a lot of "horror stories" about people having trouble with installers.

Last edited:
Search the forums for BASIC installation, Directv may still have what is included in basic installation on their website. Anything beyond basic installation is custom.

My install with this deal was free except for a sales tax on the DVR, which is less the 10 bucks. The custom install could be for things such as mounting the dish on a pole or a non-penatrating roof mount. If you just get the dish mounted normally with screws being drilled into your roof, no extra charges should occur.

Wall fishing is an extra charge as well. Normally the outlet for the dish in each room is on an exterior wall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts