Question about Dish Install

goingup

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Does this sound right, I had Voom, ordered Dish because of Voom channels. The package I ordered is the one for 4 rooms thats talked about here. But when the installer showed up he had one SD box and I had received a 942 in the mail. I said order was for 4 rooms and he said yes the order had shown thtis but that each box has to share a room. What the hell is this??? I don't want 2 coax cables running from each box to god knows where to get signals in each room. Also the CSR from Dish told me for $20 extra I could get 2 SD DVR's for the spare bedrooms. Then also the installer said he couldn't add a switch to allow 5 or 6 rooms for future use. Is this the right way to install Dish??

With the dual tuner receivers, you will save $10 per month and you will only have 2 receiver to worry about. As for setting up for more than 4 tuners, you will have to PAY for that. E* doesn't install stuff when it is not used. If you want to upgrade later, they have programs for that. And, considering that they only allow 4 LEASED receivers on an account, having dual tuners receivers is the only way to have more than 4 TVs on difference channels with leased receivers.

Should have went with the 942, 811 (HD Single Tuner), and 1 510 (Single Tuner DVR). That would have given you 4 rooms, 2 HD and 2 DVR.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow now the the install is complete, but people, expecially AV enthusiasts, really need to research an order like this before it's expedited. Dish CSR's go off of a pretty detailed script during the order process, which if you obtained a recording of, in text format, you would agree. The problem w/ the script(s) is that they read those things to you too fast and in such a way that most people aren't paying much attention.

If you want to change receivers, do it within 3 days and you may get away with it. Plead your case to Dish, threaten to cancel, it's worth a shot if you want more HD. BTW, the two boxes you received are Dish Pro Plus compatible, so your installer should be carrying Dish Pro Plus LNB's.... One Line, One Box....

BluEBoaR said:
Should have went with the 942, 811 (HD Single Tuner), and 1 510 (Single Tuner DVR). That would have given you 4 rooms, 2 HD and 2 DVR.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow now the the install is complete, but people, expecially AV enthusiasts, really need to research an order like this before it's expedited. Dish CSR's go off of a pretty detailed script during the order process, which if you obtained a recording of, in text format, you would agree. The problem w/ the script(s) is that they read those things to you too fast and in such a way that most people aren't paying much attention.

If you want to change receivers, do it within 3 days and you may get away with it. Plead your case to Dish, threaten to cancel, it's worth a shot if you want more HD. BTW, the two boxes you received are Dish Pro Plus compatible, so your installer should be carrying Dish Pro Plus LNB's.... One Line, One Box....

The Dish Pro Plus LNB setup would work only if he was setting up one dual tuner box. You can use the DPP LNB in the following install setups:

1) 1 DPP dual tuner box and 1 legacy or DishPro single tuner box
2) a pair of Dish Pro single tuner boxes
3) a pair of legacy single tuner boxes

The DPP LNB will not accomodate a pair of dual tuner receivers the only way to do single line runs to a pair of DPP receivers is to use a Dish Pro Plus 44 switch.

Free Lunch

goingup said:
What the hell is this??? I don't want 2 coax cables running from each box to god knows where to get signals in each room. Also the CSR from Dish told me for $20 extra I could get 2 SD DVR's for the spare bedrooms. Then also the installer said he couldn't add a switch to allow 5 or 6 rooms for future use. Is this the right way to install Dish??

How were you thinking the video was going to get to four different places in your house without cables? Most people don't have 4 HD TVs to supply, in which case the 2 box dual tuner solution works without extra cost. I don't know the length limitation of component or HDMI connections, but I'm sure it's not very large. If you do need HD signals on 4 TVs in 4 different places, you'll have to have an HD tuner near each TV, but you're still going to have coax cables carrying the satellite signal to each god knows where. If you have the scratch for 4 HD TV's, I don't think you should have trouble paying for the local HD tuners to feed them.

nsafreak said:
The Dish Pro Plus LNB setup would work only if he was setting up one dual tuner box. You can use the DPP LNB in the following install setups:

1) 1 DPP dual tuner box and 1 legacy or DishPro single tuner box
2) a pair of Dish Pro single tuner boxes
3) a pair of legacy single tuner boxes

The DPP LNB will not accomodate a pair of dual tuner receivers the only way to do single line runs to a pair of DPP receivers is to use a Dish Pro Plus 44 switch.

PLEASE tell us where you learned this so that we can recall the thousands of 4 tuner installs that have been done since last summer using DPP Twins. Oh man Charlie's gonna be ticked :)

Sorry I sound so stupid. I used to have directtv and then have had cable for so long that I had no idea that they used 2 tuners in one box now. I am remodeling my house and already did the Sheetrock. Which is why I sound so pissed because I ran the Voom cables in the walls and thought that would be enough cable runs. But I guess I'm wrong. I do like the idea of no box for the kitchen and kids rooms, so I just needed time to get used to the fact, its done that way now. Anyway what would I need to get a 2 dish sat. setup and HD OTA antenna to work. Can they combine the signals from each one on one cable run or do I need 2 cable runs at each TV that will need OTA and Dish? Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.

If your house has prewire, at least one RG-6 cable ea. in 2 rooms (the rest can be 59, doesn't matter if sticking to 2 dual tuners, but all RG-6 reduces install headaches), there is no reason why new cable has to be run. In regards to your OTA HD needs: I don't know what other markets' official policies are, but in my region, whether it be a sub or a Dish tech, we will not install aerial HD antenna arrays. However, if you have the antenna installed before we get there, we have no problem combining that signal with our sat lines using diplexers. We would then re-separate the two signals at the other end, with the antenna feed going straight into the Antenna In port on the back of the receiver. You should go to dishnetwork.com and read up on the manuals for the receivers you intend to have delivered. They will help you greatly. The more you know before the tech comes out, the more you can tell him/her what you need done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)