Question about dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

M7300

Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
I have an FTA receiver... is it possible to keep a dish indoors? Im in a high rise building that has windows which only open about a quarter, so theres no way i can get a dish outside....

how far are you from the roof?

i once installed a dish500 on top of a 10-story office tower for an office on the 5th floor

Dishes can certainly be mounted indoors, but the amount of attenuation will be dependent on the type of material the signal passes through. Most modern windows have a reflective material to help reflect the sun's rays. This reflective surface also reflects the satellite signal and often attenuates the signal to a point where it can not be received.

We have experimented with the GEOSATpro 90cm inside of our office windows (which have heavy reflecting coatings) aimed at AMC4 and IA5 and have been able to receive only the strongest channels. I am sure that the first rainstorm or heavy cloud cover would have wiped out the signal as it was barely above threshold. The same 90cm dish aimed through the office windows with a DirecTV LNBF provided very robust signals for reception of Dish Network 119 and 110 signals for a DP311 receiver.

If you must mount the dish indoors, try to replace any energy efficient windows with a piece of plexiglass or glass with no or low metal content or reflective films.

Im on the 12th floor of 13 floor building... i cant replace the windows cause im renting the unit, its not mine.... they are double paned glass. I do have a ledge outside my window, so if the dish is thin enough i guess i could squeeze it out there. Here is a pic of what it is, with the one window that opens, and that is all i can open it. So even if i could get the dish on that ledge, i dont know how i could mount it since i cant get out there. Any ideas with this?

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    575.9 KB · Views: 131
well I have a friend with a T55 indoors, its a pretty funy sight, here is what he did

he opened the window all the way, took that plastic you use in the winter to prevent drafts, the stuff like suran wrap that you use a heat gun on. he put that on the inside and the outside, creating a double pane plastic window, perfectly clear, and works awesome.

not many choices

If the leasing company or landlord is real nice... you might put it on the roof above your apartment, and drop the cable down one floor.
(I'll give you about 0% odds on that, unless your family owns the building or manages it)
No way they're going to let you attach a dish to that ledge - you don't own/rent -it- , so you're pretty much out of luck.

What do other tennants do who want television reception?
Does the building have cable or any sort of satellite TV hookup?
Perhaps there already is a sat antenna system there...?
Oh, if there is, it would be for Direct or Dish, not FTA.

Have you considered video via high speed internet for your choice of shows? :confused:

M7300

First, check if you have a clear line of sight to the satellite you are interested in.
What is the hight of that window? If it is 28" or more, you should be able to fit a dish through it (diagonally). Then you can mount the dish on the outside of the window using the window ledge.

M7300

First, check if you have a clear line of sight to the satellite you are interested in.
What is the hight of that window? If it is 28" or more, you should be able to fit a dish through it (diagonally). Then you can mount the dish on the outside of the window using the window ledge.

Yea its over 28 inches... so i would be able to mount it, even if i cant get outside there? And im not sure what u mean by a clear line of sight to the satellite i want. Im new to this, so i dont know much except that i need the FTA receiver and a dish. thanks

Well, a little bit more information is needed to help you:

1- What is your location (zip code)?
2- What channels are you interested in watching?
3- Do you have a compass?

I would highly recommend you read this:
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Dish-Pointing-Tips.htm

and this:
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the info links!
1 Boston
2 umm just as many channels as i can... all the sports package channels and movie channels at the very least, i heard you can pick up like 3,000 stations with FTA.
3. No, but can buy one.

T
2 umm just as many channels as i can... all the sports package channels and movie channels at the very least, i heard you can pick up like 3,000 stations with FTA.

um, sports packages and movie channels are NOT NOT NOT free to air. Free to air is unencrypted programming that is beamed up to the satellites and we just happen to pick it up.

Illegally obtaining Dish Network & Bell ExpressVu by modifying the contents of the box is NOT free to air and is NOT tolerated here at Satelliteguys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)