Question about Dish'n'Up New HD Cust.

BPeter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Mpls., MN
Hey I have a question to ask on behalf of a friend of mine.
He is currently subscribed to the AT 200. He has a HDTV and would like to upgrade one receiver to a 622 or 722. If he is eligible for an upgrade to HD, he would get the receiver for $149 - 100 rebate, plus get six months free of the $20 DISH HD. My question is, if he does what I have mentioned, does he have to stay with the $20 Dish HD or would be able to use the soon to be released $10 HD Essentials once the free six months is done? He is cool with paying the $50-100 to get the upgrade completed, and likes that fact that he won't have to pay for HD for 6 months, but doesn't want to add $20 to his monthly rate. He seems ok with an extra $10 though. Any thougths?
Bryan

Since HD is in it's infancy in the US you are going to have to pay a premium to get it now. HD is not going to get any cheaper in the future unless you only use an OTA antenna for the national channels with a HD tuner TV. Many people think that once the analog signals are gone in 2009 all shows will be HD. Not true, they will be digital, but there will still be a lot of programming in less than HD quality for years to come. The $10 HD pack is a teaser. Once you get used to HD you will not want SD programming. Might as well suck it up and go all the way. Oh, in the near future, the new HD technology from Japan might make it over here. I hear the newest HD is many times better. So, we will all have to get new TVs and tuner, etc. You can't win this game.

That's cool, I took a peak but it doesn't really answer my question. At least I don't feel like I have any clearer idea what to tell him.

What I really need to know is if Dish will allow you to drop out of the $20 package at the end of the free six months, and go instead to the "new" HD Essentials. He is just nervous that if he pulls the plug he will be stuck with the $20 a month package, since that is what he got for free for 6 months. All else considered, I think he is fine with the mail in rebate and all that. Just concerned it will keep him from being able to subscribe to just HD Essentials.

Thanks,
Bryan

I believe the answer is yes, he can drop. All of us with HD are currently paying $20.00 and nothing has been insinuated that we can't.

Your friend, like the many posters on this site, can drop from the $20 HD to the $10 HD. HD isnt a minimum package like AT100, etc, so it can be added/dropped at will. Your friend, like may posters on this site, will probably be subject to a one-time downgrade fee, which i believe is $5 (but it might be $10).

Your friend, like the many posters on this site, can drop from the $20 HD to the $10 HD. HD isnt a minimum package like AT100, etc, so it can be added/dropped at will. Your friend, like may posters on this site, will probably be subject to a one-time downgrade fee, which i believe is $5 (but it might be $10).

When we signed up for HD, we specifically asked about this as we may be moving in the next 18 months are were concerned that if we can't get LOS for the HD, would we still have to pay for it or could we drop it and just have SD. We were told by the CSR that it could be dropped even though we would still be under a contract (dad was the one questioning it) as long as we keep one of the AT Packages (minimum qualifying packages).

Geoff

Dont forget that dish is scrapping the rebates, right now trough jan 31st, its a free instant 100 dllr rebate. Its called the new years gift to customers. If you mention that to a csr and tell them to read the "cscweb" its right in front of their eyes. I dont know why man y reps dont know about this. Its largely advertized in their call centers.

reallyniceguy,
I recently did a DIU myself, got a new 722. It has been since the new year. The rep didn't offer me this, but instead pointed to a mail in rebate. When did this take effect, and could I call and get the instant rebate even though they didn't offer me the deal on the phone?
Thanks,
Bryan

reallyniceguy,
I recently did a DIU myself, got a new 722. It has been since the new year. The rep didn't offer me this, but instead pointed to a mail in rebate. When did this take effect, and could I call and get the instant rebate even though they didn't offer me the deal on the phone?
Thanks,
Bryan
The No Rebates plan does not start until Feb. 1.

I scheduled an DIU upgrade for Saturday earlier this week....

I was only offered the mail in rebate and I just tried calling to see if I could get an "instant" rebate instead. The guy in India didn't seem to understand what I was talking about (in many respects) and I got tired of holding for a supervisor. I then called and got a tech support person in Texas, but he sounded a little crazy. He couldn't find a pre-February 1 instant rebate (even when I mentioned cscweb to him) but he wasn't very confidence-inspiring. He may have managed to hook me up with 12 months of Cinemax for $0.01 because we're on auto-pay. (Will I get another 12 months if I switch to electronic billing?)

So, reallyniceguy and KAB, what's the real deal? :) Should I call back and try again?

Also, is there any trick to getting a CSR (non-tech support) in the US?

Brett

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)