Question about DLPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the Samsung HLN507W for almost a year now and have very, very rarely seen the rainbows and never gotten headaches from viewing it, even after 4-6 hours of movie watching. I love the PQ, especially HD, but even SD looks great.

I initially set out to get a plasma to complete my home theater system, but after two years of research and looking at plasma, RP-LCD, FP and RP-CRT, one day I came across a DLP. I was amazed that it had a PQ that was equivalent to the Mits plasma I'd been contemplating buying. Also, as I continued my research, DLP doesn't have the drawbacks of gradual plasma fade or pixel burn-out potential of LCD. So, I ended up buying the Samsung DLP and have never regretted it. It's been a terrific monitor.

I had a similar experience acquiring my HLN507W. Last July I set out with the wife to see and buy a Sony LCD-RP. The glare, the narrow viewing angle, and the washout in a well lit room were disappointing. After viewing the Sony at 5 different stores, we asked about that Samsung with the great picture, no glare, wide viewing angle, and decent PQ in high light. We also briefly looked at CRT-RP, the mere size was dauntling and couldn't pass the WAF. Plasma was out since we wanted a 50" and the 50" plasmas were twice the cost of the Sammy. That was before I was even aware of the pixel burn and fade problems or the altitude problems (I live in the Denver foothills).

I am very pleased with my Sammy DLP purchase and the outstanding PQ in HD and very good PQ in SD.

Interestingly, I think DLP is winning over the manufacturers as well. Many companies have abandoned their R&D into LCoS display technology and after seeing the sales of the Sammy DLP (1st and 2nd generation), Hitatchi, Sony, RCA and others are planning on DLP models (some have them out already) in 3Q of 2004.

Without spending 4-6 times the money for DLP, I don't think it's terribly easy to get a better picture than DLP can deliver (unless it's 3rd generation DLP). :)

DLP tv's are based on hours viewed. When buying the tv you want to ask on how long the bulb will last. It can be anyware between 4000 hours to about 9000 hours. The bulbs are only about $150 to $300 so it isn't that much. I think that DLP is the way to go over Plasma and it is also about half the price too.

I have a Samsung HLN437W and I couldnt be happier with it. I was at Best Buy yesterday, and they had the new Samsung HL-P5063W for $3499 (The same price I paid for my 43" a year ago) and the LG RU-52SZ51D for $3299. They both looked very good, but I dont know which one would look better after calibration.

They also had the LG 44" for $2799, but it wasnt on display.

My DLP looks great connected to a computer. The video card displays at 1280x720 beautifully! Depending on your video card, you may need PowerStrip to make the custom resolutions.

I sent my dad to buy the new Samsung 50" today. Im going to go install it for him in a few weeks...so I will report back then on how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)