Question about Existing customers and new recievers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ramimac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Las Vegas,NV
I am with dish Currently and am getting tired of being crapped on when new equipment comes out that new customers get all the deals and existing subs get nothing.

1. Does Directv Even offer receiver upgrade deals?

2 Do existing customers get treated the same and new ones.

3. is it as easy to wire direct receivers as it is with dish.( i Know they do not have anytype of signal separators like he new DPP44 switch has but i am into pulling two cables per receiver anyway.)

1) if you need it, yes but like if you have a non-dvr and want to go to a Dvr for free then no
2)current subs can sometimes get 2-1 deal for like HBO and cinemax or free showtime ect.
3)yes IMO

1. Yes, DIRECTV will upgrade, at no charge, your dish and HD receivers when MPEG-4 becomes available in your area.

2. In some cases existing DIRECTV customers get better deals than existing subscribers and visa-versa.

3. I love homes where 2 home run coaxes are in every room where a TV is located. It rarely happens, but I do dream of it. Of course, we always wire every room with 2 coax and 2 Cat 5 cables to every room with new construction.

If you switch, you will love DIRECTV, especially if you order a DVR.

-Robert

the trick about Directv is that the receivers are free or cheap... the tradeoff is the 1 year commitment each time you activate a receiver. most people dont have a problem paying 99 dollars for a 400 dollar piece of equipment if they have to sign a 1 year commitment.

with dish you pay for the full cost and generally dont have a commitment.

D* does offer credits twoard equipment once a year as well.

Being with D* for over 8 years we always seem to get greeat treatment--the few times that we have called.It seems to be the reason that I hear most people drop E* around here is the the installers are great but that E* itself is terrible

Thanks for all your input. I am seriously considering switching. cox cable is bot bargin here i think it sucks..

i am tired of bad tech support and hardware the sometimes works..

the setup i would want is 1 hd reciver and 4 r10's.

No back to what you said about activating a receiver for a 1 year comitment.

does that include one you buy from them or does that include used ones off of like ebay as well?

Just thought of something else.

how many cables to i need going from the tripple lnb digh to a switch... is it 2 or 4.

also on those mutiswitches i noticed they have a ota antenna input. i am guessing i need a diplexor on the other end to split the signal. correct?

ramimac said:
Thanks for all your input. I am seriously considering switching. cox cable is bot bargin here i think it sucks..

i am tired of bad tech support and hardware the sometimes works..

the setup i would want is 1 hd reciver and 4 r10's.

No back to what you said about activating a receiver for a 1 year comitment.

does that include one you buy from them or does that include used ones off of like ebay as well?

that can be squirrly but if you can get all used then it may be possible if you get the right tech. however the install will get the year commitment...unless its a self install.

to ensure you get 4 r10's i would suggest you use Robert at ValueElectronics....your looking at 250+100+100+100+100+100(Switch) and there will be a 50 dollar mail in rebate on your first r10.

That sure is a lot of receivers... you have to go beyond the standard 5x8 switch in order to get them all...

ramimac said:
Just thought of something else.

how many cables to i need going from the tripple lnb digh to a switch... is it 2 or 4.

also on those mutiswitches i noticed they have a ota antenna input. i am guessing i need a diplexor on the other end to split the signal. correct?

4 lines

Yes taht is correct most switches with an odd number of inputs have an OTA input that you HAVE to diplex each line on the terminating end if you attach the ota

They didn't offer me a deal, I was a customer for 8 years before switching to Voom last Dec. When I wanted to come back I payed 300 for the HD receiver and 50 for a extra standard Receiver from Circuit City and signed for a year or they wouldn't sell me the standard receiver. And they wouldn't activate the 2 boxes I bought from them 8 years ago without signing a year..And I installed everything myself. I think they treat there regular customers like chit. But they know we don't have another choice. :no

i miss typed should have only been 3 r10's

but i could getaway with 1 h10 2 r10's and 2 d10's actualy this is probably the perfered setup..

The reson for the 2 r10's is my main tv will have a h10 and a r10 for recording since i don't want to afford a h10 250 box. to pricy for me at $899

the resion for the extra d10 is to replace my 322 dual tv reciver.

i was planning on purchacing most of this equipment on ebay. i have seen new r10's for $69 buy it now with free shipping or maybe it was $79. and hd recivers for under $150

now the install i think i should be able to do. and i need to do is copy the angles of my dish network dish correct?

i had it all figured out to use a 5x8

Plywodstatebum said:
I think they treat there regular customers like chit.

Not true. I don't think that getting an HD receiver and 2 SD-DVR's for $99 being treated badly. All this in the last year.

Changes the field when you leave and then want to come back. More unwilling to give credits.

ramimac said:
i miss typed should have only been 3 r10's

but i could getaway with 1 h10 2 r10's and 2 d10's actualy this is probably the perfered setup..

the resion for the extra d10 is to replace my 322 dual tv reciver.

i was planning on purchacing most of this equipment on ebay. i have seen new r10's for $69 buy it now with free shipping or maybe it was $79. and hd recivers for under $150

now the install i think i should be able to do. and i need to do is copy the angles of my dish network dish correct?

i had it all figured out to use a 5x8

the angles are not the same as the dish 500.... its the same general direction... but D* has the info on their site and the d10's at least have a point dish screen... it isnt hard.. just takes a little time patience and 2 people...1 if you can take a tv out to where the dish is/will be

be careful of which hd receivers you get... some are bad some are good... plus youll need access cards.

d10's are essentially free anyway... unless you really are just trying to avoid the 1 yr commitment... and the dishwlnb will run around 100 dollars.

with 3 r10s and a h10 or 2 r10s 1 h10 and 2 d10s you are safe with the 5x8..

i think i answered everything

Do you know if Dire*TV will be replacing the units for current subscribers that bought all their equipment. I have three rcvrs and a Hughes Dire*Tivo that I purchased at Best Buy 4 years ago. I live in Dallas.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
1. Yes, DIRECTV will upgrade, at no charge, your dish and HD receivers when MPEG-4 becomes available in your area.

2. In some cases existing DIRECTV customers get better deals than existing subscribers and visa-versa.

3. I love homes where 2 home run coaxes are in every room where a TV is located. It rarely happens, but I do dream of it. Of course, we always wire every room with 2 coax and 2 Cat 5 cables to every room with new construction.

If you switch, you will love DIRECTV, especially if you order a DVR.

-Robert

I was thinknig of having direct tv installed(HD)next week...new customer...Will they have problems with me having an install so close to their new HD upgrades?

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)