Question about FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

a1lireza1

Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Dear All,

I would like to buy, install and use a FTA. I am totally new in this area. Could you please share your experience and suggest a high quality FTA satellite brand and model? And perhaps direct me to any information regarding the installation, software update or any other information for a starter?

Thank you,
Al

Last edited:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!
Why not tell us what type of programming you are interested in receiving, your general location. Do you have a clear view of the southern sky to receive satellite signals? Best to start by reading everything you can about the hobby, go through the FAQ section above. There's a lot of choice available to you with fta tv, and in the equipment you can purchase. I suggest start small, with a simple receiver and dish. Later on you can upgrade, add a motor to get more satellites, get a bigger dish, etc.

Don't know if you understand what FTA is, or not? FTA isn't for everyone. It's not so much as something to replace your Cable or Directv or Dish Network programming. It's more of a supplemental programming hobby. You won't find TNT, USA, Discovery Channel or other good/popular channels with FTA. You will find some very interesting channels though, and a lot of them. From Foreign Language, to News feeds, to Sports feeds, to Religious channels, to just about anything you can't/can imagine. But, you won't find your favorite Cable channels. It is fun though and you can see some interesting things. If all you're after is to save money from your current program supplier and still watch your favorite shows, you're barking up the wrong tree. And you should remember, it's very contagious and can be expensive, if you get hooked by it. I love it and will encourage anybody to give it a shot, if you can afford too. There are 3 sponsers at the top of the page that are into FTA. Those 3 sponsers support this sight and I'll encourage you to look and see what they have to offer. All 3 offer several selections of packages to get you started. Sadoun, GOsatellite, and SatelliteAV. I'll recommend all 3 places, as I have purchased from all 3 at some point.

Hi again,
I live in the suburb of IL, have a clear view of the southern sky, am interested in US and European channels (German), and would like to start quit big and buy a good motorized FTA satellite set. I saw different models such as M-2 Motorized DYNAMIC DSS Choice Set for $285, Sonicview 360 Premier Motorized FTA Satellite System# for $ 340, Sonicview 8000 for $600, and Panasat 9200HD for $380.

Does anyone have made any experience with on of this models?
I understand that the dish needs to be installed, high e.g. on the top of the roof. But would it work just on the ground of an open backyard; just until the end of the winter?

Thank you,
Al

Last edited:
Welcome to Satelliteguys.

If you have a clear line of sight to the East/South/West, then you can mount the dish at the ground level. No need to install higher except when you have an object blocking the satellite signal.

You don't have to install it high on any roof, unless that is the only spot for a LOS (line of sight) to get a clear view of the southern sky. I would recommend putting it on the ground, it will make it a lot easier to work with, and a lot safer.
That M-2 Motorized DYNAMIC DSS Choice Set for $285 looks good to me. That's less (maybe $100) than a similar package I got a few years back, when I was getting a dedicated ku system, to complement my C-Band system. And I have not regretted it. Now I have a Pansat 9200HD that also cost more than what you posted, but mine has a factory S-2 card built into it. If you're going for the 9200HD, I would suggest you make sure it has the factory S-2 card before getting it. You won't regret it?

Thank you VoomVoom

Actually with a 500 GB hard drive ($160) it will const about $800. Is the hard drive sufficient? The description says DVB-SD ready. Is that what you meant with a factory S-2 card built ? What does it do?

Thank you,
Al

I live in the suburb of IL, have a clear view of the southern sky, am interested in US and European channels (German), and would like to start quite big and buy a good motorized FTA satellite set.

I'm in Northeast Illinois and I've been very pleased with FTA for over 2 years using a 90cm dish but I believe that if your interest in German programming is important you might consider something like a 180cm Fortec dish so you can watch (Deutche Welle) DW- USA on AMC 1.

You can always start with the package you suggested and later add a C-band dish , that will really compliment your Ku dish package.

S-2 is a new type of modulation being used and a lot of channels are starting to use it. It would be a good idea for you to make sure that the 9200HD has that S-2 card so you will be able to get any of the channels that begin to use the S-2 modulation. S-2 is a slang for it, it's actually called DVB-S2. A 500GB hard drive should be OK.
Where are you looking at the 9200 HD at? It should mention S-2 in the SPEC's if it has the card.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)