Question about having DirecTV at multiple locations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

concrete

Original poster
May 17, 2014
USA
Hi everyone. I'm currently a DirecTV subscriber and strongly considering getting DirecTV up at my cabin. Before I go forward with this, I wanted to make sure there isn't a simpler/more cost effective way to do this than just getting another satellite installed and essentially paying for 2 coverages at once.

Also- is DirectV pretty good about shutting off service/not billing during winter months when I won't be at the cabin? My dad has Dish at his cabin and they stop billing him upon his request for months at a time.

Thanks

Hi everyone. I'm currently a DirecTV subscriber and strongly considering getting DirecTV up at my cabin. Before I go forward with this, I wanted to make sure there isn't a simpler/more cost effective way to do this than just getting another satellite installed and essentially paying for 2 coverages at once.

Also- is DirectV pretty good about shutting off service/not billing during winter months when I won't be at the cabin? My dad has Dish at his cabin and they stop billing him upon his request for months at a time.

Thanks
First of all :welcome to the site !
Look around, stay awhile !!!

Wheres your Cabin and wheres your home ?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you might be able to get your locals at both places.

D* will allow a residential set up and a Cabin set up on the same account.

Many just go ahead and do it and others let D* know ... thats up to you.

Many will have a set up at thier main home and duplicate the dish at the Cabin and take a spare recvr (one that is seldom used in a spare room) to the Cabin.

This avoids dual billing, saving you alot of money.

I like the sound of that, but how would my cabin get reception without a physical satellite dish? Or would I still need to get that installed?

FYI- my cabin is located about an hour away from my house in the same state

I like the sound of that, but how would my cabin get reception without a physical satellite dish? Or would I still need to get that installed?

FYI- my cabin is located about an hour away from my house in the same state

You would have to get a dish set up at the Cabin, if you can do it yourself, great, otherwise you can call D* and do a Movers deal, but that I think would be my last choice as you have to commit to another commitment.
Another option is to look in the phone book for local contractors that do D* installs.

Sounds like your probably close enough to get your local at the cabin as well.

Wheres your Cabin and wheres your home ?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you might be able to get your locals at both places.

D* will allow a residential set up and a Cabin set up on the same account.

That's what I do. We have a cabin about 130 miles from our main home. I installed a duplicate dish setup at the cabin and hand carry the receiver with us when we go to the cabin. I only have one receiver so no question about account stacking. DTV has even sent a technician to the cabin when a receiver failed a few years ago.

Reactions: trojan67
:welcome to Satelliteguys concrete!

Just to be clear, if you are only using one location at a time, although technically not allowed by the terms of service of your Directv contract, it's generally accepted. If you are going to use both locations simultaneously, that's called account stacking and is strictly forbidden, both by Directv and by us here at Satelliteguys as a topic of discussion. I don't mean to come off as harsh, just want you to know how it goes.

That's what I do. We have a cabin about 130 miles from our main home. I installed a duplicate dish setup at the cabin and hand carry the receiver with us when we go to the cabin. I only have one receiver so no question about account stacking. DTV has even sent a technician to the cabin when a receiver failed a few years ago.

I'm no expert but I think the key is that you can only have an active receiver at one place OR the other. With only 1 receiver this is pretty obvious however if there are multiple receivers involved and there is any possibility of service being used in both places simultaneously (eg parents are at the cabin but the kids stay home), then you need two accounts - one for each address.

Having active receivers at two locations isn't the issue, using them at the same time is.

Having active receivers at two locations isn't the issue, using them at the same time is.

Of course them realizing that someone at home may turn TV on while your at the lake would be very hard to prove.

Friends of mine are at the lake right now, I stopped by thier home to feed animals and turned TV on ....

It worked.

And D* knows about both locations, no problems.

Last edited:
Yea I won't be using them at the same time.

So can you explain how to go about this like I'm a 10 year old?

First step is to get a physical satellite dish installed at my cabin. I'm thinking I'll just have directv do this, I wouldn't have any idea how to do it myself and don't know who else to have do it.

Then do I order a new receiver, or am I just going to take my current receiver up to the lake with me every weekend?

Then do I order a new receiver, or am I just going to take my current receiver up to the lake with me every weekend?

This is up to you how you do it.

Personally, I would have D* put another recvr in at your home and take that up to the Cabin when you go, but then, I can do my own install.

Guy's, can he call D* and have them install a dish and recvr at the Cabin without them wanting a 2nd account ?

Yea I won't be using them at the same time. So can you explain how to go about this like I'm a 10 year old? First step is to get a physical satellite dish installed at my cabin. I'm thinking I'll just have directv do this, I wouldn't have any idea how to do it myself and don't know who else to have do it. Then do I order a new receiver, or am I just going to take my current receiver up to the lake with me every weekend?

You'll just take your current receiver with you. However, you'll need to make sure your billing address is the one that you frequent the most so you get your bill. As for having directv doing it, like said before, you're going to be forced to either pay some money depending on your length of service or re-up for another 12 months so it's free.

You'll just take your current receiver with you. However, you'll need to make sure your billing address is the one that you frequent the most so you get your bill. As for having directv doing it, like said before, you're going to be forced to either pay some money depending on your length of service or re-up for another 12 months so it's free.

So Hutch, can he use the Movers and have them do the set up at the Cabin without anything being questioned ?
Provided he's ok with the Movers commitment .

That would be his Best way to go about it I think in his case.

Was just looking on amazon, could I just buy a satellite dish from there and have a 3rd party do the install at my cabin and then order a receiver from directv? This might be edging the border on "stacking," but since I won't be using them at the same time I think it's alright. Would basically just eliminate the process of moving my home dvr to the cabin every weekend.

Was just looking on amazon, could I just buy a satellite dish from there and have a 3rd party do the install at my cabin and then order a receiver from directv? This might be edging the border on "stacking," but since I won't be using them at the same time I think it's alright. Would basically just eliminate the process of moving my home dvr to the cabin every weekend.

Thats what I was trying to say earlier.

However, I would have it activated at the Home and then take it already activated to the cabin.
Yes, you can buy a Dish from a number of places online, Solid Signal, Amazon, Ebay ect ....

Could I just order a normal HD Receiver (no DVR) instead of the Genie or would that screw this up? I'd save myself about $100 (DVR is $99 and I'm guessing the Genie is $200+). I really don't need Genie or DVR features at my lake, basically the only thing I'll be using it for is live sports, music, or entertainment in the case of poor weather.

I also won't need the Cinema Connection Kit, right? We don't have internet at the cabin so there's really no point for that unless I'm missing something that makes that necessary.

Last edited:
I would get a H24 for the Cabin from solidsignal for the cabin. If you get a HD receiver from DirecTV it will probably be a H25, I say get a H24 so that you have more dish options and not be forced to get a SWM system which costs more if you're buying your own dish.

I would get a H24 for the Cabin from solidsignal for the cabin. If you get a HD receiver from DirecTV it will probably be a H25, I say get a H24 so that you have more dish options and not be forced to get a SWM system which costs more if you're buying your own dish.
Thanks for the advice. Does solidsignal do the activation or will I have to go through directv for that? Also, are there any specific dish types that I need or should any directv dish be alright?

edit- I just went and looked at that solidsignal site. Would it be easier if I just called them and had them walk me through the process/equipment needed/etc? Seems like it could be a good resource

Thanks for the advice. Does solidsignal do the activation or will I have to go through directv for that? Also, are there any specific dish types that I need or should any directv dish be alright?

edit- I just went and looked at that solidsignal site. Would it be easier if I just called them and had them walk me through the process/equipment needed/etc? Seems like it could be a good resource

Cheapest option, order a H24 and a dish from solid signal but order your LNBF (and BBC converter) from ebay. You'll call DirecTV to activate it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...dy-(H24)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=185463000504

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-HD-Programming-(SLSPF)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts