Question about HD DVR & wireless LAN

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jonredraider

Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Hi all,

I currently have non-hd DIRECTV and a seperate Tivo box. My Tivo is hooked up to my wireless network via the USB port. If I upgrade my DIRECTV to HD and get the HD-DVR w/Tivo, will I still be able to use wireless networking?

I ask becuase I have no land line.

Thanks!
Jonathan

To clarify,

I guess my series 2 tivo didn't really work out of the box at first. I had to hook it to a phone line for the first connection (a service update I guess) I then had to find a USB network adapter that would work with TiVo and then networking options/setup magically appeared in the settings menu. Would the HR10-250 act the same as a Series 2 tivo or is this a whole other animal?

Thanks,
J

jonredraider said:
Would the HR10-250 act the same as a Series 2 tivo or is this a whole other animal?
No D* DVR with Tivo will work on a home network, either wired or wireless. The USB ports are not supported by the software.

jonredraider said:
Would the HR10-250 act the same as a Series 2 tivo or is this a whole other animal?

The latter.
Enabling the USB ports on the HR10-250 requires cracking the case and hacking the OS, and is not even remotely for the faint of heart. If you've upgraded several TiVo hard drives, though, you might wish to consider it. Google "gunnyman HR10-250 USB" and you should find it easily enough.

If you've already done your initial setup call, just unplug the darn thing.
The only thing the phone line is used for is to tell your TiVo when to download new software -- and you'll see us clamor around here enough when and if that happens.

H

I use my current TiVo for some other stuff too. For example sharing music from my PC to my home theater, moving tivo files to my laptop for trips, and programing shows to record using TiVo's website. I guess for the series 2 it gets the guide data and gets suggestions from the internet. So with Directv I am guessing it gets all of this from the Satellite?

I am guessing I would loose some of the TiVo functionality I am used to but I know the picture quality would improve. Tough decision.

jonredraider said:
I use my current TiVo for some other stuff too. For example sharing music from my PC to my home theater, moving tivo files to my laptop for trips, and programing shows to record using TiVo's website. I guess for the series 2 it gets the guide data and gets suggestions from the internet. So with Directv I am guessing it gets all of this from the Satellite?

Correct.

jonredraider said:
I am guessing I would loose some of the TiVo functionality I am used to but I know the picture quality would improve. Tough decision.
The two tuners and HD capability makes the DirecTiVos infinitely more worthwhile in my opinion.

Here is another useful tidbit for networking the HR10-250 ... welcome to the dark side Anikan!

EDIT: Oh damn ... sorry the link is for 6.2 slices, Multi-Room Viewing and 4.x + RID ... my bad. You do still use the killhdinitrd though ... try searching that out. PTV I think provides it on their CD ISO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts