Question about hookup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mnjclark

Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Hi all. My first time posting to the forum (that I can remember). But I read here quite often for tips, tricks and advice.

We recently upgraded our house to HD with the new 722k receivers. I have my old 522 that I'm going to install in the RV for our various travels on the road. We have always had someone else hook up our stuff for us, so this is going to be a bit new for us. Here are the questions:

1. We have the oblong shaped dish with two LNBs. They are labeled 110 and 119 and each have two cables coming out and then going to 2 SW21s and then it's those two cables that connect to the back of the receiver. However, the RV only has one cable jack going in. The "point dish" menu item says it's a dish 500. The LNBs do not say "Dish Pro". Can we use just one of the cables comeing from one of the SW21s and still get both 110 and 119 and just hook it into SAT1 on the back of the 522? We only have the one TV connected. I do understand that PIP would not work because the second receiver in the 522 would be non functional. If one cable won't work... Any other suggestions?

2. RV cabling.... We found the connection for the amplifier where the roof antenna and the purchased cable service merge and that whole wiring mess and bypassed it all to get a straight run through from the ouside cable jack to the receiver. But, is RV wiring RG6 typically? If it's only RG59, what is the typical method for re-running wiring to the back of the receiver without being an unsightly jumble of cables?

3. The mount for the dish. We got one of those winegard tripod stands - that thing is flimsy and wouldn't hold up in a light breeze. Any suggestions for a versitile mounting method? On the roof ladder is definately a great idea, but for those times when the line of sight from the RV isn't good and we need to get a few feet away we will need to be able to have something portable to mount to.

Thanks everyone for ideas comments and suggestions. You all have been a great wealth of knowldge to me in the past so I know this is the right place for some awesome ideas!! :)

simplest thing to avoid all trouble is to just run two lines from the 2 21 switches straight in through a window or something and to the receiver. may look kind of stupid but at least it will work. plenty of people do that with their rvs that I have seen

Trying to avoid that. We do a lot of camping in the winter (while skiing). There's not a lot to do between 5pm and bedtime - the desire to even hook up the sat in the first place. It's dark and cold outside - temps often below 20. I'd rather not have a window even cracked enough for a cable if it can be avoided.

Replace the LNBs and SW-21 switches with a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB and use a separator on the back of the 522. That will allow the use of a single cable from the dish to the back of the receiver.

I second the notion for a Dish Pro Plus twin ro be used instead of your existing twin lnb. Only need one cable from lnb to receiver.

And as far as it goes with your mount. Buy yourself a new tripod. A heavier one. Or tKe a pole of corect thickness and put it in a bucket and fill it with cement. May be harder to transport but im sure it will stand up better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)