Question About Lease Program

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
If I have a reciever go bad do I have to directly contact directv and send the reciever back for a new one or do I just go out and purchase a new one from the local electronics store? I was wondering because I have the protection plan and do not see the sense in keeping it if directv automatically replaces the recievers. One more question...does anyone know if the new recievers last as long as the old ones did or do they conk out pretty frequently

With the protection plan they will sent out a new unit to your door...

If I have a reciever go bad do I have to directly contact directv and send the reciever back for a new one or do I just go out and purchase a new one from the local electronics store? I was wondering because I have the protection plan and do not see the sense in keeping it if directv automatically replaces the recievers. One more question...does anyone know if the new recievers last as long as the old ones did or do they conk out pretty frequently

DirecTV will send a new unit to your door via FedEx. Included with the new receiver will be a return kit to send back the defective one at no cost to you.

IF I didnt have the protection program then I would have to just go out and buy a new reciever? What is the lease good for then?

I am getting a new H20 to replace a defective H20 that we own at no cost, as cybrsurfer posted. But the account does not have the protection program on it, but we are an A-list customer, whatever that means, LOL! I am sure the replacement will be listed as a lease receiver and I am not going to waste my time arguing on it being listed as such.

The recent contract terms state that hardware has a 90-day warranty. Beyond that, you pay a fee (~$40?) for shipping and handling. The lease gives you the advantage of not having to pay $400 for replacement hardware. However, I do agree that the whole system is fishy when you have to pay anything at all for replacement lease hardware.

In practice, they may replace units for free regardless. It probably depends on who you get on the line when you call in.

The recent contract terms state that hardware has a 90-day warranty. Beyond that, you pay a fee (~$40?) for shipping and handling. The lease gives you the advantage of not having to pay $400 for replacement hardware. However, I do agree that the whole system is fishy when you have to pay anything at all for replacement lease hardware.

In practice, they may replace units for free regardless. It probably depends on who you get on the line when you call in.

The S&H is only about $20, and replacing a leased unit with a leased unit does not extend your contract.

The lease covers the HR20 for 90 days without protection plan...

IF I didnt have the protection program then I would have to just go out and buy a new reciever? What is the lease good for then?

Protection plan covers alignment, and replacement of Dish, switches, cable, rewiring to more rooms, and equipment for free.

There is a $19.95 H&D charged when replacing a defective "owned" reciever with a leased one, however replacement of a leased receiver is free regardless of protection plan or warranty situation.

I was told by DTV that even that I purchased a reciever and dish from the store, that it is considered leased equipment. Supposedly the price that I paid in the store is a "lease" price. They used an example that you can buy an H20-600 from BB or CC for $300 lease price b/c to outright purchase the H20-600 would be over $1000. I'm sure we all would pay $1000 to own the H20-600! Sign me up for 3 so after the first 2 go bad I have something to hold the door open with!

PS: With a reciept I have brought back a reciever to CC after about 8 months! and got a replacement! (they may want you to buy the in store protection plan for $50 for 3 yrs, but was worth it for me ....)

I was told by DTV that even that I purchased a reciever and dish from the store, that it is considered leased equipment. Supposedly the price that I paid in the store is a "lease" price. They used an example that you can buy an H20-600 from BB or CC for $300 lease price b/c to outright purchase the H20-600 would be over $1000. I'm sure we all would pay $1000 to own the H20-600! Sign me up for 3 so after the first 2 go bad I have something to hold the door open with!

PS: With a reciept I have brought back a reciever to CC after about 8 months! and got a replacement! (they may want you to buy the in store protection plan for $50 for 3 yrs, but was worth it for me ....)

Ace,
You may be suprised by this, but The HR10-250, TIVO unit that TIVO lovers Love, was $ 1000 in the beginning and a lot of people bought it because it was the first HD DVR for D*.

The new HR20-700 was mentioned to me by a retailor to list at $ 750-800 , if you want to buy one, if you loook around you can do that, but thats alot of money , I bet those TIVO users would not pay that price again.
I think the price of the unit is a large reason why D* decided to go to the lease program.

Jimbo

Ace,
You may be suprised by this, but The HR10-250, TIVO unit that TIVO lovers Love, was $ 1000 in the beginning and a lot of people bought it because it was the first HD DVR for D*.

The new HR20-700 was mentioned to me by a retailor to list at $ 750-800 , if you want to buy one, if you loook around you can do that, but thats alot of money , I bet those TIVO users would not pay that price again.
I think the price of the unit is a large reason why D* decided to go to the lease program.

Jimbo

That is a lot of dough for anything! I can't believe people would pay that much to be able to use someone elses service. Heck...I balked at the $300 for the H10. But my free HR20-700 gets installed 12-23!!!!! OSU or FLA? OSU no doubt!

That is a lot of dough for anything! I can't believe people would pay that much to be able to use someone elses service. Heck...I balked at the $300 for the H10. But my free HR20-700 gets installed 12-23!!!!! OSU or FLA? OSU no doubt!

I would never pay that for a reciever, I get about a years worth of programming for that.

As for the game ......
What do you think ??

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts