Question about LNB types and Diseqc switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

deadstick

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
After a lot of effort, I got the dish setup and the receiver actually working. I am still not sure about the two types of LNBs I have. One is LNBC and the other is LNBL. Does anyone know what the difference is and how they are used? I assume they are connected to the diseqc switch thingy. I will probably have to know something about that too, I suppose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One is linear (Most of FTA). One is circular (DBS Sats).

The circular will get you tons of music, Nasa, Goltv.

The linear will get you foreign, religious, feeds, news, distant networks ie. FTA.

I've been using the LNBC and sure enough have gotten some music and goltv (but not NASA dang it!) but how do I use the diseqc and the LNBL? I can hook up the diseqc to the two LNBs but then what?

You would hook the output from one LNB to input 1 on the DiSEqC switch and the output from the other LNB to input 2 on the switch. The output from your DiSEqC switch would go to the receiver. Then you go into your antenna setup (not sure which receiver you have but they all work more-or-less the same) and set each satellite to use either DiSEqC port 1 or DiSEqC port 2, depending on whether the satellite would be circular (DBS) or linear (FSS).

If your circular (LNBC) was connected to port 1, then the satellites at 61.5, 82, 91, 110, 119, and 148 would be set to DiSEqC 'on', port 1. The linear, or LNBL (in this case on port 2) would be used for all other satellites, and for those DiSEqC would be 'on', 'port 2'.

You're just programming the receiver to 'look' at port 1 on your switch for circular satellites (free stuff from Dish Network and Bell satellites) and to 'look' at port 2 for the linear satellites (everything else).

Thanks! I have a Coolsat 4000 Pro. I found the setting in 'Dish Settings' on the installation menu. While attaching the switch I knocked my dish a little so spent a large part of last night getting things lined up again. When I finally got it working, I scanned galaxy 10r on LNBL and got a ton of open air channels! Finally got NASA TV! This is exciting! Thanks again!

There is a place in the diseqc settings for committed and uncommitted. I changed the committed value to either one or two and that worked. What is the uncommitted value for? The choices are one through four. There are four ports on my switch but I have only two LNBs and have the others capped off.

Just leave the two caps on. When and if you add more LNB's you will have two remaining ports to connect to.

Sounds like you have it now. Good Luck! :yes

What other kinds of LNBs are there? Also, do you have any idea what the uncommitted values are for?

deadstick said:
What other kinds of LNBs are there? Also, do you have any idea what the uncommitted values are for?
you answer your own question here
I changed the committed value to either one or two and that worked.
it more like, on committed and off uncommitted...

Some people use more than one LNB to tune into multiple sats at once.

There are two types of DiSEqC switches... committed and uncommitted. Most of the existing switches we're using are committed. Uncommitted is for cascading switches to add more than 4 LNBFs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts