Question about local HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ely

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Miami, FL
How do I find out exactly what channels I can get as locals on my area? my zip code is 33012, I only see a few networks listed on the DirecTV site, but I remember going to Best Buy the other day and they had some local HD channel in Spanish that doesn't appear listed on the DirecTV site, anyone knows if I can get Univision and Telemundo in HD in the Miami area?

Last edited:
DBS is only going to provide HD local-into-local (LIL) for the big 4 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) and maybe the addition of your local CW and MyTV. They are not going to add every local channel a DMA has, at least not in the near future. For all the additional, you will need to setup an appropriately selected and aimed OTA antenna at or near the roof level or one a bit bigger than needed and inside your attic. If you are lucky to be real close to the towers and they are all relatively in the same close heading; then you might be able to use a quality indoor model.

Based on your zip code this may be the exact case. (you can enter zip here) - I see you as no more than 12 miles away and all located between 40° and 47° heading.

You could try a Zenith ZHDTV1 Silver Sensor indoor for about $29.

But maybe look into something a bit better (it can also move with you and likely still work correctly) and it is out of the den look (I hate having an antenna hanging in my home theater somewhere for a CHEAP look.

like:

Channel Master CM 4221A $42

Winegard PR 4400 $38

Maybe even the Antennas Direct DB2 $49

Charper1 thank you again for all your help, I ll have your suggestions in mind, those all look like great antennas, however I was wondering if I should just go ahead and ask the installer to put up an OTA antenna too when they come to install my 5LBN dish.

I was offered an installation of this type of antenna before, but I'm not sure what it is that DirecTV offers in terms of OTA HDTV Antennas. Do they let you pick between different types or it's only one type they install for you?

You are welcome & good luck with it all. Be sure to come back a tell us about it. They provide the cheapest they can as this is not there business offering; just a freebie for customers to know what they can get. Most user are likely to be 110% better off NOT getting them to do anything and doing it themselves; HOWEVER, you being so close, and FL so flat, you could choose to allow them to do it, test it out, and then if you are not 100% satisfied attempt to tweak it, or upgrade to one of those better models using their existing cables, etc.

Yes, there is no such thing as a digital or HD antenna. Depending on your DMA needs, usually a good UHF is all you need; like a Channel Master 4228 or similar. If you happen to be in a DMA that has digital in the VHF LOW band, then a good combo VHF/UHF should work fine. BUT there is no "special" antenna. Aiming is key too.

Thanks a lot, as a matter of fact, based on what you told me I took my old and tiny indoor antenna I had in the closet saved as a back up ( sometimes I used it while moving, switching services etc ) connected it to my HD TV and set up the DirecTV receiver to receive locals via an OTA antenna and to my surprise ALL my locals are on HD and not just that I get several PBS stations; like 5 of them, and like 10 extra channels I didn't even know they existed all in HD wow! now I really can't wait to get this OTA outdoor antenna connected hehe.

I have a question though, those extra channels appear on the guide as 2-1, 2-3, 2-4 or 6-1, 6-2, 7-1 and so on, is there anyway to tune to these channels directly with the remote without having to scroll through channels on the guide?

I have a question though, those extra channels appear on the guide as 2-1, 2-3, 2-4 or 6-1, 6-2, 7-1 and so on, is there anyway to tune to these channels directly with the remote without having to scroll through channels on the guide?

Yes, the bottom left hand button on the number pad on the remote is the - key. So just enter 2-3 and press enter or wait and it will tune directly to it.

Yes, the bottom left hand button on the number pad on the remote is the - key. So just enter 2-3 and press enter or wait and it will tune directly to it.

thanks a lot, that really helped!

The installer is coming tomorrow and I'm wondering if this antenna from Radio Shack (which I can just pick up from a store near me) is any good:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=family&summary=summary&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=features&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&accessories=accessories&productId=2103087&support=support&tab=custRatings

It looks good and I have been reading the reviews on their site and them reviews appear to be possitive in the most part.
Thanks in advance.
-Ely

The installer is coming tomorrow and I'm wondering if this antenna from Radio Shack (which I can just pick up from a store near me) is any good:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=family&summary=summary&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=features&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&accessories=accessories&productId=2103087&support=support&tab=custRatings

It looks good and I have been reading the reviews on their site and them reviews appear to be possitive in the most part.
Thanks in advance.
-Ely

It will likely work just fine, but you don't need anything that big. Since all of the stations in your area except two are uhf, the CM 4228 will work fine. It is much smaller than the one you are looking at, and will still pick up the two high vhf stations. You can get them in Florida from these locations:
http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/locator_us.html#fl
Good luck!

It will likely work just fine, but you don't need anything that big. Since all of the stations in your area except two are uhf, the CM 4228 will work fine. It is much smaller than the one you are looking at, and will still pick up the two high vhf stations. You can get them in Florida from these locations:
http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/locator_us.html#fl
Good luck!

Agree with Raoul, you don't need anything that big (or that expensive). A CM4228 should work fine, it's a UHF antenna but with pretty good performance on VHF-hi. At that range, even a CM4221 might be OK, its VHF performance isn't very good but it should get your two VHF stations at only 10 miles or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts