Question about Los Angeles local Channels.

Henry Sanchez

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
California, USA
A customer from LA is on a trip thru Baja, Mexico, he is now at Bahia de Los Angeles, Baja California, he mailed me and told me that he cannot get LA local channels.

I checked at Lyngsat.com, and it says that LA locals are on 119 sat (CONUS) but seems like he cannot get these channels for unknown reason.

He sent me some pics showing all LA local channels on the screen, but at the time he pick one, the screen goes black, and satellite signal error message appears on the screen.

Here are the pics he sent to me

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando SatelliteGuys

A customer from LA is on a trip thru Baja, Mexico, he is now at Bahia de Los Angeles, Baja California, he mailed me and told me that he cannot get LA local channels.

I checked at Lyngsat.com, and it says that LA locals are on 119 sat (CONUS) but seems like he cannot get these channels for unknown reason.

He sent me some pics showing all LA local channels on the screen, but at the time he pick one, the screen goes black, and satellite signal error message appears on the screen.

Willing to bet that the LA spot beam does not extend that far south.

The point is that Lyngsat says that LA locals are in CONUS beam, not spotted.
Perhaps Lyngsat is running wrong with all the info then...

The LA locals haven't been on a CONUS feed for some time now. I believe the only California CONUS locals now are the Sacramento DMA on 119.

Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

Last edited:
I don’t know how to post the pictures my friend sent me this afternoon

Just use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom right of the edit window, Henry. But in this case it isn't really needed, since we know he's out of spot beam range for the LA market anyway.

You can see on the photos all the LA local channels are listed on the channel guide, but no one is avalable...Crazy, isn't it?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26 (1).jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 218
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26 (2).jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 224
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26 (3).jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 205
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 23.40.26.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 214
What kind of customers would have access to that channels?

In 2017, Dish was offering a DNS (Distant Network Service) for RV'ers and truckers that allowed receiving the LA locals anywhere in the country for a fee. Subscribing to DNS meant you didn't have to keep changing the locals as you traveled to get the network programming. They've stopped offering DNS, but they may still be servicing the grandfathered subscribers. My understanding is that it was dropped due to lack of subscriber interest. As easy as it is now to change the service address, I'm not surprised.

Henry, it occurs to me that your friend might be able to get the San Diego DMA locals by changing his service address.
It is 335 miles from San Diego to Bahia de Los Angeles as the crow flies. Somehow I doubt it but you don't know until you try.

It is 335 miles from San Diego to Bahia de Los Angeles as the crow flies. Somehow I doubt it but you don't know until you try.
Yep, that's why I said "might be able...". I didn't take the time to dig out the spot beam maps to see what the chances would be. Now that I have checked the footprint maps, San Diego, Tucson, and Yuma are all well out of range for him. Sacramento's CONUS feed is a really iffy maybe.

Years ago I had a place in So CA with the LA locals, so I could watch LA when in OR. But when Dish switched to spot beams, the LA locals were gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)