question about MeTV Network

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
when will metv network go 16 by 9 widescreen with so many people having hdtv now a days would it be a good idea.

Thanks

Allen bluegras

As for it being in 16:9 some afiliates carry it that way. here in Minneapolis it is in 480i widescreen as the local commercials are in HD. Everything else is black barred (bars on sides)

i didn't know about that thats why i wanted to ask you folks about our local chicago affilate has the black bars on the side it would be nice if they go 480i widescreen.

WHY would you want it 16x9, when almost all the shows were originally 4x3? All that would do is blow up the middle of the picture, and you'd lose everything around the edges that you could originally see.

I'm totally against broadcasters doing that to old shows. It doesn't bother me in the least to have a black left and right edge.

Use your receiver or tv sets "Ratio" button and you can change it to 16x9 on your ownself right now.

i didn't know about that thats why i wanted to ask you folks about our local chicago affilate has the black bars on the side it would be nice if they go 480i widescreen.

If there are black bars on the side all the time then it IS 480i widescreen. Are you sure because everything I see shows the local Chicago station (WWME) as just 480i 4x3. Actually all Weigel affiliates that carry MeTV have it in 480i 4x3 and not 16x9
The "master" feed that affiliates get from C-Band (big dish) is the same way (4x3). When I had my free to air setup I watched it that way

The issue with going widescreen is Weigel has to satisfy all the affiliates of MeTv they have which right now is around 170. If they change their format then all the affiliates have to also. If they dont then you have "stretched" (aka everyone looks like a fat goalie)

Looking at the list of affiliates there are only a handful that have it right now in 480i widescreen
-Minneapolis Independent station and Duluth ABC. Both are owned by same folks and they (the owner of the Mpls station) said they do widescreen so when they insert commercials (they cross promote) its in "HD". Here in Minneapolis they carry Me, Antenna and This as subchannels all in 480i widescreen
-North Dakota NBC (all 4 affiliates) and that has to do with they pre-empt stuff for North Dakota State sporting events
-A couple affiliates have MeTV as "filler" when they don't have other network programing.

WHY would you want it 16x9, when almost all the shows were originally 4x3?

I posted why a couple affiliates do 16:9...its for commercials (local ones). Here our MeTV is "BBH" (black bar hell) all the time during the programming. Only local commercials fill the screen

I think commercials should match the programing in terms of picture qualities.
Black & White programing should have B&W commercials.
4x3 programing should have 4x3 commercials.
Thus providing visual continuity for viewers enjoying the 'how it was back then' experience.
Mind you, the ads don't have to be old ads, just tye visual feel should be similar.
2-cents-in

I posted why a couple affiliates do 16:9...its for commercials (local ones). Here our MeTV is "BBH" (black bar hell) all the time during the programming. Only local commercials fill the screen

BBH? ... watching Perry Manson, Twillight zone etc in B/W and 4x3 is part of the charm of classic TV IMO. It would just be plain weird seeing them in 16x9 after all this time.

I think commercials should match the programing in terms of picture qualities.
Black & White programing should have B&W commercials.
4x3 programing should have 4x3 commercials.
Thus providing visual continuity for viewers enjoying the 'how it was back then' experience.
Mind you, the ads don't have to be old ads, just tye visual feel should be similar.
2-cents-in

This will never fly.... commercials = marketing and revenue. No one will ever take a 4/3 and b/w commercial seriously.

I am surprised at the quality of many B&W shows from the 50s & 60s I swear some are better now than when new. I like the contrast of color in the B&W shows, seeing I DVR most my ME programming it becomes a signal to FF.

BBH? ... watching Perry Manson, Twillight zone etc in B/W and 4x3 is part of the charm of classic TV IMO. It would just be plain weird seeing them in 16x9 after all this time.

The picture actually looks good. Not as blown up as other 4x3 pictures are.
Like I say the reason they have it as 480i widescreen here in Minneapolis is so they can cross promote all the channels. Here the ABC owns an Independent station that has Me, This and Antenna as subchannels (all 480i widescreen). So when there is a local commercial its in widescreen as its usually a commercial for a ABC show or one of the syndicated shows on the independent. Now that This and Antenna are owned by same folks you see cross promoting there too.

What are you calling "black bar hell"? Is that picture-framed? I HATE that! Everybody's ATSC tuners can handle 480 widescreen. Why not broadcast widescreen as widescreen, and not picture-frame it with black bars? :rant:

no they are different
black bar hell (to me) is black bars on the sides of the screen. Basically a SD program on a HD channel..see pic 1 (yeah its AntennaTV but as I mentioned Antenna, This and Me are all this way)
picture framed is what our local CW does to some programing. Basically putting a 20" picture in a 42" TV (2nd pic...local wresling fed...yeah it says "AWF HD" but our local CW can't do any non CW programming in HD)

Attachments

• PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    829.1 KB · Views: 196
  • PICT0025.JPG
    PICT0025.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Well... What do you expect for 4:3 material on your HDTV? Seems like your "black bar hell" is the right thing to do IMHO. It's widescreen material letterboxed onto SD and then presented to me picture-framed (like your screen shot on the right) that drives me nuts.

yeah the local CW here is goofy with how they present the shows. Most shows are like on the left (again they dont have the ability to have any non CW programming HD). Even Ring of Honor (the station is owned by Sinclair who also owns ROH) is like on the left...except for one week where it looked like on the right.

Well... What do you expect for 4:3 material on your HDTV? Seems like your "black bar hell" is the right thing to do IMHO.

I agree but as I noted above there are maybe 8-10 stations that carry MeTV as a subchannel and have it as widescreen. Most just carry it 4x3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts