Question about mortgages...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I closed on the mortgage on Halloween day (last year) and have had no problem making the payments. Granted, I wish I had more free cash after making all my payments. I have a Nissan Frontier (2001) Crew Cab that is approaching 100,000 miles (but it is paid for). I have a Citibank Premier Pass Card with a 14.24 interest rate (but never pay any interest as I only use it to pay for gas at the pump). I'm anticipating a more lucrative job within the next few months as I recently graduated with my Bachelor's Degree and have began receiving positive interviews at other potential employers...

About my mortgage: I purchased it after my brother was married and think it was a great deal. He left the house fully furnished (LCD television, furniture, fridge, washer and dryer... pretty much everything but the bedroom) and asked for only $93,000... I wish the house were bigger (it's only about 1100 square feet) but enjoy having three free acres to work with if needed. Since I had never had a credit card and the truck payment was in my Dad's name (even though I paid the payments), I had limited credit experience (just one $500 loan from the local bank from a few years back that was used to purchase a PS2 a NASCAR game and GTA3) and ended up with a mortgage rate of 7.25% which gives me a payment of $715 a month (including escrows). Whenever I feel it won't come back to bite me, I squeeze another $100 a month into the house payment (since I have no vehicle payment). That extra $100 ends up pushing me just over 50% of my bring home pay... I pay my DISH Network yearly (which chews up about $575 / year)... My electric bill is rarely above $70... I signed on to a great deal with my phone company and get both basic phone service and DSL for $60 / month. I have about $250 / month to play around with... (don't laugh).... :( Of that, I would like to put $12 / month into satellite radio service...

Is it possible to save money and make a lump some payment (possibly around $10,000) and then request that the payment be readjusted to a lower amount? The bank told me I could refinance after about a year (but I'm not sure that is a great decision as the closing costs would push my loan higher than the one I have now). Finally, should I just keep paying the mortgage payment as is?? My brother (and others) insist that $715 a month isn't all that much... But he's married and has a second income to work with... As for the extra $100 a month... The reason I try to make that payment is because it should cut off about 10 - 12 years of my mortgage (and a great deal of interest) based on calculator results I have played around with. Do I try and have GMAC readjust the payment after paying a couple of thousand down, refinance later this year, or leave things as they are? Also, what about interest only loans over 5 or 10 year periods? I'm assuming you could pay more than the interest each month (which would give you a lower monthly payment when it matured)? Risky (because of interest rates).... but it might be worth looking into.

I have a Citibank Premier Pass Card with a 14.24 interest rate (but never pay any interest as I only use it to pay for gas at the pump).

I should probably mention that the reason I never pay interest is that I pay the card in full at the end of each month... I'm sure you guys figured that, but....

Your brother is right about the mortgage. $715 is cheap. I think you are better off staying put until you get your new job and see what your salary will be like. Hopefully you didn't have a bunch of student loans that now need to be paid...

Hi, I close mortgage loans for a living, for the last 5yrs or so anyway, and I believe the other fellow had a good insight. Let it ride as is for awhile, until you're satisfied that you will have job security. Its good to try to 'pay ahead' if possible each month, but I wouldn't let that desire cause a hardship in other areas of your budget.
If you have a rate that low on a 30yr fixed, it'd be hard to beat right now. The shake-up in the sub-prime market may tend to make rates rise somewhat in other mortgage products. (hey Im cautious, I try to anticipate possible problems)
If you intend to stay in that house for awhile, I don't think I would want to refi for a couple of years, and then I would certainly shop around. Not that GMAC Mortg is bad. You have to weigh all the costs involved, which could easily be 2-4thousand in
settlement costs, to do a refi. If and when you do, be tough. Lots of lenders will get you on that 'origination fee'--I've seen .5% to 2% depending on the loan amt. its a fee--negotiate.
Just remember that those settlement fees will get rolled back into your loan amount if you don't have cash to pay it outside of the loan (in most cases)
I am not a licensed attorney, and these are just my personal observations based on a few thousand loans I have witnessed.

Since it sounds like you are interested in knocking time off the end of your mortgage, you might ask your mortgage company about making half of your payment two times a month, about every two weeks. I have heard it will cut down on the length of your mortgage quite a bit. Not sure why it does but I used to hear quite a bit about this but not so much lately. I think it is a bimonthly mortgage.

You could probably continue to make the extra $100 payment if you wanted.

I would stay with your current mortage, continue to pay it down faster with extra payments. although you lack a second income, you also lack a second spender who will want all sorts of spiffy stuff and may not care about paying off the mortage early. been there done that:(

my brother in phoenix cant work, hurt his back on the job. had back surgery, but its been tough, he had his back partially fused and has picked up a room mate to help make ends meet. the room mate $s are helping pay his mortage

Back in 1999 I had a house your size and monthly payments were about the same. I never intended to stay more than a couple years so I paid more towards the principal. I walked away at closing with a fair amount of money (after paying everything, even the seller's end) but used that money as a down payment for my current home. Since the market was still hot in 2001, I was able to refinance my current home and knock off PMI in 2002. At this point I just pay the monthly payments and my wife and I have no plans to move.

Also, my wife has been a stay-at-home mom for the last three years and we have been doing fine on a similar amount of money to play with each month as you do. So you'll just have to see what works better for you over a year or two and your long term goals. Owning a home is great when April 15th rolls around (as are many kids), but you will want to balance this out with your W4s when you land your new job after completing your degree.

Since it sounds like you are interested in knocking time off the end of your mortgage, you might ask your mortgage company about making half of your payment two times a month, about every two weeks. I have heard it will cut down on the length of your mortgage quite a bit. Not sure why it does but I used to hear quite a bit about this but not so much lately. I think it is a bimonthly mortgage.

You could probably continue to make the extra $100 payment if you wanted.
The "pay every 2 weeks" plan (biweekly) works because in essence you're making 13 monthly payments per year vs. just 12, and also since interest is acrued daily, paying more often reduces the balance more often, thus cutting into the principle owed quicker. Many workers are paid every two weeks, so this works out well. As gary s mentioned, over time it will reduce the interest you pay, and probably even the time it takes, substantially. Ask your lending institution to work the figures out for you.

I agree with others here - stay put for a while until you see how you make out with your new job, which at this point is not a "bird in hand".

Also, and very importantly, you should have a "rainy day fund" equal to at least 6 months of take-home income. This doesn't have to be in cash or equivalents, but it should be readily accessible for when you need it. (I.e., it shouldn't be tied-up in real estate or any other tangeable item that might be difficult to unload quickly.) This fund will be most important to you in case something in your plan is derailed in the future, like loss of that job and its income for a period of time. If you don't have this kind of fund you should work on setting one up and putting a substantial chunk of assets into it. Once you've done that, then you can think about other places to put your money, like into increasing your home equity quicker.

Just my 2-cents worth, and I am not a financial advisor...

Trade ya.

My mortgage with property taxes (that we pay seperately), comes out to be about $1150 a month.

Every dollar that you pay each month beyond the minimum is another dollar that you won't pay interest on next month, and it also builds equity. And remember, if you're itemizing your deductions, you'll be able to claim a lot of the interest on your federal taxes.

Let it ride for 3 years or so. You'll probably want a bigger house, and you'll be getting a new loan then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)