Question about moving box to a different room

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ccourter

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
California
I have a 2 story apartment. Downstairs is the living room, and upstairs are 2 bedrooms. Due to physical reasons, I'm contemplating moving my bedroom to the living room (which we don't ever use anyhow), because life would be easier not having to navigate the stairs. There are directv outlets in both bedrooms, but none downstairs (when it was installed, something about where it was located, the cable company having locked the box, etc, but it wasn't an issue, since we only use tv in our bedrooms). My landlord will not approve drilling a hole downstairs. Can I run Coaxial cable from my room to the downstairs safely? With no major loss of reception? It is not an HD tv (yes, I know, I don't have one, my son does though..what us parents do for our kids). The tv issue is really the only thing keeping me upstairs....

Hope this makes sense.

I have a 2 story apartment. Downstairs is the living room, and upstairs are 2 bedrooms. Due to physical reasons, I'm contemplating moving my bedroom to the living room (which we don't ever use anyhow), because life would be easier not having to navigate the stairs. There are directv outlets in both bedrooms, but none downstairs (when it was installed, something about where it was located, the cable company having locked the box, etc, but it wasn't an issue, since we only use tv in our bedrooms). My landlord will not approve drilling a hole downstairs. Can I run Coaxial cable from my room to the downstairs safely? With no major loss of reception? It is not an HD tv (yes, I know, I don't have one, my son does though..what us parents do for our kids). The tv issue is really the only thing keeping me upstairs....

Hope this makes sense.

What recvrs are you using ?
IF your using any of the newer recvrs, H/HR20xx and newer, there are no Coax outputs on them anymore .... however there are Component Outputs (R/G/B/W/R) (W/R for audio) as well as HDMI.
Reason I mentioned Component first is a length of HDMI will cost quite a bit usually.
How long are you looking to run ?

:welcome to Satelliteguys ccourter!

If all you are doing is extending the coaxial cable to downstairs, then it should be no problem.

I have an R22 receiver. It's a few years old, just DVR, no HD. I'm thinking I just need to get 2 100 foot cables, and a metal thingy (I know, forgive my technical terms please :) ) that can join the coaxial cables (2 of them) from the wall to the new cable, and then run that to downstairs. I say 100 feet because that way I have plenty of wiggle room, and can pin them where I need to so we aren't tripping over them (important for me especially since I am legally blind, thankfully I can still watch tv!).

Thank you for your answers :)

The metal thingys are called barrel connectors. :)

Are you planning to extend the length of the coaxial cable in your bedroom from your bedroom to your living room,& do you plan to move your DTV DVR downstairs with your TV? I'm guessing yes to both questions. Maybe not so much for a standard definition DVR like what you have,but you'd need the coaxial cable extending to your living room to be RG6 & sweep tested to 3GHz. Go to Sadoun Satellite Sales & you can order by the foot http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Perfect/ULPVRG6SC.htm the cable that you'd need. You can order either black or white cable. Something like this will help navigate doors both to your bedroom & to your living room http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZVRU1S/?tag=satell01-20 . A barrel connector like this http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Paladin/05-F812G-Double-Female-Barrel-Splice-2GHz-F-Connector.htm will help you connect your extended coaxial cable to your original coaxial,unless your original cable is long enough to reach your door that the flat cable I showed you would work. All of the links I provided are DIRECTV approved products,but I'm not sure where you could buy just an individual barrel connector instead of a bag of them,which what the link I provided is.

Last edited:
All he is doing is extending a cable from the wall, not from the dvr.

All he is doing is extending a cable from the wall, not from the dvr.

So he's moving the recvr to the new room, not just trying to run coax from the existing to the tv in the other room (thats what I thought he meant at first).

He can get barrel connectors in small quantities at the local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE, Menards.

She thanks you :). Just want to move the box and tv downstairs. The links and advice are huge help to me. Thank you all so much.

Carrie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts