Question about "MOVING"

delawareguy

Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Delaware
Hoping someone can throw some light on this..

I moved to Delaware (Kent/Sussex county line) a few months back from New jersey, My friends live around 20 miles further south than me & they "moved" with Direct and get all the NYC locals including CW (11) & MY (9) so i know it's not conus that i read about on here... Because that would only give them the main 4 networks.

So my question is this, Does the dish spot beams cover the same areas as the direct ones? I've tried looking at the maps but to be honest it's pretty confusing to me, So i was kinda hoping that one of our experts on here could help me..

Thank you in advance.

Are you asking about sd locals or HD locals? NY's sd channels for NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CW, My9 and ION are Conus 0n 119 with ION also Conus on 72, the HD are all on spot on 61.5 (although many still report that My9 HD is Conus). Also, since Direct tv and Dish uses different sats, spots could easily be different.

Last edited:
HD Locals, That's what my friends have with Direct.... I found a map on here with the dish spotbeams on the 61.5w which i am on.. I'm right by the A in Delaware (Location wise) E12_SB3.jpg

If you are by the "A", you should be boarderline on the spot, I would think you would get the HD locals, buy you may need to have the highest signal strength to maintain the signal since they do drop quickly. Usually a bigger dish helps with the signal.

I have one of the new Black dishes if that helps? Is that big enough?

When i go through the settings it shows Transponder 15 which i need for NYC locals showing no signal, Is that something that would come up after a change?

Last edited:
please note the maps on 61.5 can be (and usually are) wrong. Dish shifted the spotbeams a little bit

Directv uses CONUS for NY Big 4 because they can still do distants (and they use NY Big4 for fill in markets sometimes). Dish uses spotbeams. So your buddy could be in Burnt Cactus, NM and use a NY address and get them.

no you are out of the spotbeam for NY

61.5 TP15 is used in your area for Norfolk, VA. Read the post above yours (click on the link). A guy in Sussex County who asked the same thing. Since transponders are reused in your area you would get Norfolk, VA locals instead of NY. You are out of the NY spotbeam (again Dish shifted some spotbeams so the maps are wrong. The NY one included)

I know it seems stupid you can do this on direct and not dish...
not really. Each company spotbeams are different since they use different satellites. There are areas here in MN that can get Dish HD locals for Minneapolis but not Directv

but for NY & LA its real easy. Back in 06 Dish was in a court case (what else is new) about giving distants to people who didnt qualify. They lost that case and had to pull ALL stations from out of market on 12/1/06. So even if you legally qualified you lost them. Directv followed the rules and can have them on CONUS. Dish figured since they can't sell them outside of NY they went on spotbeam.
Dish recently could sell distants but the rule is "if locals are available you can't get distants". Since all markets on Dish are in SD the only folks they can legally sell distants to are RV'ers/semi drivers who submit the necessary paperwork.

You can "move" to a market closer like DC if you want

Yeah that's a good thought, But i've been reading on here that they could lose there CBS tomorrow... Maybe a wait till that mess is over might be a good idea..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)