Question about new installation

TomT223

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Texas
The back of my 722 receiver has 2 satellite cable connectors. Why?

I noticed when they ran the wiring for my installation they brought down 2 different cables in the wall to the wall connector but only one cable then goes to my 722. What's the purpose of that other cable?
(I tried to ask installers these questions but they didn't speak real good english)

2 connectors for 2 tuners. Mine they ran 1 wire and then put their "splitter" to send it to both tuners. Something doesn't sound right on yours. Are you able to use both tuners?

I can use dual channel mode and watch different shows on my second tv so I guess both tuners are active.

Are you sure they didn't connect to both of the inputs with 1 of the cables and their "splitter" and use the other cable for the home distribution to send it to TV2?

Just checked and yes they used a splitter. But then what was the purpose of bringing in two wires to the outlet?

probually they just used dual bonded wire. The 2nd feed can be used later as a tv2 backfeed, sat line, or ota feed. If the DPP seperator is used, not a splitter, on the back of the 722 you are fine.

Sounds like they just ran the 3 cables to be ready.

With the dish I have you can connect up to 3 722 receivers so you would need 3 cables from the dish. My installer ran the dual bonded wire to my patch panel and just hooked 1 up since I only put in 1 722 for now. Sounds like yours were very thorough and went ahead and ran all 3 to your dish for you.

Sounds like yours were very thorough and went ahead and ran all 3 to your dish for you.

Which I imagine is rare... My installer didn't run a second line even when I asked him to. With DPP separator and diplexing he only used the one existing RG6 run. I was really hoping he'd run another so that I could do some distribution myself later and just diplex the OTA. But, the less work, the faster he can get out of there.

Yeah, they probably just figured if they had to fish one cable, they might as well drop two down the wall... just in case.

Hey Tom

Yeah it's right with that are 2 tuners, also it depends on what kind of dish you are using, you probably have an onl Superdish or you do have 34 switch, that's why he has to use two cables. If you had the newer dish, you could just use a seperator, which is working like a splitter. except that is doesnt split the signal up, but it seperate it instead. What kind of dish do you have, does it stand Superdish inside it, or do you have a 1000 dish??

Just checked and yes they used a splitter. But then what was the purpose of bringing in two wires to the outlet?

On my hookup there is 1 cable in from the wall/outside to the VIP-722. Then it backfeeds to the outside because there is a splitter outside. One cable goes around and into the house to TV 2. On the back of the 722 are 2 input posts for TV 1 & TV 2, plus there is an input post for an OTA antenna to feed the DVR. I have an outside ant. hooked up to that post.

In the back of the rec. they used 2 splitters, but the tech told me it all goes back outside to feed TV 2. It looks complicated, but if you follow the inputs & outputs to & from the splitters it becomes clear. I like the way they did the install as I didn't want to pay more for a custom install. Hope this helps.:cool:

Last edited:
In the back of the rec. they used 2 splitters, but the tech told me it all goes back outside to feed TV 2. It looks complicated, but if you follow the inputs & outputs to & from the splitters it becomes clear. I like the way they did the install as I didn't want to pay more for a custom install. Hope this helps.:cool:

One of those two splitters is probably the DPP separator, allows you to feed your 722's dual tuners from one feed from the dish. The other is probably a diplexer, allows you to combine vhf/uhf and satellite on a single feed. Usually used to bring the OTA antenna or cable signal to your receiver, or used to feed the TV2 output out. It almost sounds like your installer diplexed the TV2 feed to the outside of your house, and then installed the other diplexer outside to run the vhf/uhf only signal to TV2, and the satellite feed to your dish.

My installer said he needed to install a diplexer outside as well, which he didn't... and ultimately cut and re-spliced my CATV feed for no reason. :rolleyes:

One of those two splitters is probably the DPP separator, allows you to feed your 722's dual tuners from one feed from the dish. The other is probably a diplexer, allows you to combine vhf/uhf and satellite on a single feed. Usually used to bring the OTA antenna or cable signal to your receiver, or used to feed the TV2 output out. It almost sounds like your installer diplexed the TV2 feed to the outside of your house, and then installed the other diplexer outside to run the vhf/uhf only signal to TV2, and the satellite feed to your dish.

My installer said he needed to install a diplexer outside as well, which he didn't... and ultimately cut and re-spliced my CATV feed for no reason. :rolleyes:

You're right except for 1 detail. I had existing cable wired throughout the house. I had the OTA ant. on the roof from when I had C-Band. I ran the OTA ant. cable into the house wiring and it comes out of the wall & plugs directly into the back of the 722 into the ant. post. Other than that the installer used an existing cable outside that Dish installed last time around to get a sig. to the bedroom without charging for a custom install. Everything is working fine now so I'm happy.:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts