Question about OTA and 622

crainbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I got my 622 installed. Until yesterday, I had the OTA plugged into the TV. It pulled in all of my Columbus Ohio locals. The tech plugged it into the 622 and scanned the locals. It brought in 11 channels, everything I currently get through the TV. After he left, NBC and CBS were not getting a signal. The towers are less than 10 miles from my house so I know that's not an issue. I still get NBC and CBS if I plug the OTA into the TV, just not when plugged into the 622. Anybody had this issue. Dish has been no help. Is it a problem with the receiver?

I find the dish tuner in the 622 is as good as the one in my New JVC, I would remove all of the channels, then do a hard reboot by holding the power button down 10 seconds, then do another scan and see what happens. You might have a weak tuner ? What type of antenna are you using ? If it is a powered antenna, the 622 will not power it. I find the Zenith Silver Sensor is a great antenna for stations up to 30 miles. Also make sure you change the resolution in the HDTV setup to 1080, the 622 is 480 by default.

Crainbo, I had my 622 and 211 installed yesterday and had a very similar experience. All my OTAs loaded fine on both boxes during install, but I periodically get a 739 error screen saying I have no digital OTA signal. Weather is fine, and signal goes from strong 85+ and steady...switch channel and come back and it may stay gone for an hour or more. Then it comes back for a while and then lost for awhile. And this happens at same time on both the 622 and the 211, so I am thinking it is not something fixed simply by powering down and back up. I fear this is a wiring issue outside the house. Very frustrating though, since the two networks I really want to get OTA (CBS and FAX) are not provided in Raleigh area by E*. I need to get this fixed soon, or I will be going back to D*.

My current 622 (my 4th) will not lock on a tower that shows a 92 signal strength, but locks fine on another one that shows around 94 sig - in the same general direction. I bought a new UHF antenna and preamp and replaced the coax. No difference. I bought a Samsung OTA HD receiver (DTB-H260F) for my DLP set and it works fine on both distant towers. It shows 10 bars signal (max) on one tower and 8-10 bars on the other one. The picture is perfect.

I also have an HDTV card in my PC and it works fine on both towers (with a total of 5 channels transmitted.) After conferring with the two station engineers and a Ph.D. electrical engr. friend, the conclusion is that SOME 622 OTA tuners have problems. Two likely problems are that they do not handle strong signals (poor dynamic range) well and/or don't handle multipath well. Among the tests, I put increasing attenuation in the coax line feeding the 622 until the 622 would lock on the problem station. I had to go all the way down to a signal of around 65 (from 92) to get the station to lock. There are clues in there alone for the the engrs.

I spent weeks swapping gear and documenting all this and forwarded it to some upper-level techs at Dish, one of whom is in the receiver division. My tests were conclusive beyond questioning, so I can only hope that Dish is looking into the design of the 622 OTA tuner. Many, many people report that their tuner in their HD set does better on OTA than the OTA tuner on the 622. Others say their 622 OTA tuner works great. I had 3 other 622s and an 811 that picked up both towers fine!

The Samsung DTB-H260F is a superior receiver, with HDMI, Composite, Toslink audio. I now run it into a Toshiba 37-inch HD monitor HDMI input just to pick up OTA. If the 622 is ever jammed up with 3 timers running, I flip over to the OTA setup and can watch Hi-Def live on NBC, CBS, FOX, CW and MyTv, even out here in the sticks. I used to run the H260F into a Composite input on my main DLP set, but when SEARs had a sale on the 37-inch Toshiba monitors, I could not resist.

MY OTA stations are in a different DMA from my HD LIL channels, so I can also do A-B comparisons of a network feed from satellite and from OTA at the same time - from two different network feeds. Dishquality appreciates the input that I can give them in this manner.

I sometimes have an issue with our local CBS, signal 85 percent, but it drops on mt TV tuner, just like on the 622. I would say multipath issue. I have the antenna behind the house and the house and other house are in the way, it's also a vhf HD. Others are UHF and farther and I have no issues. I have another, silver sensor same as the rest, in the attic for my main TV and I never have an issue with it. Might try to move the antenna some ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts