Question about rebooting the box...

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
For the last week, every day that I come home from work, I have had to reboot my box. Every day! We have had rain fall every day as well. I'm wondering if the two are related.

It seems as though, if the stb doesn't have a high enough signal strength, I have to reboot it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Since I'm at work all day, I don't know if I've been losing electricity (at least I don't think so since I haven't had to reset my clocks.)

It's annoying because I'll come home from work and the first thing I have to do is reboot the box (which take a few minutes) and then, when it comes up, I have to wait about 15 minutes for the programming guide. When one reboots, is it normal to have to wait for it to download the guide all over again?

Sometimes, when the box is on, it won't leave the Voom screen. It just puts a black box in the upper right hand "preview" area and my remote won't do anything. I can see that the box is receiving an infra-red command, but no response from the box. Weird. I always have to reboot.

This is very common and I don't know if the new software will fix these things, but I just wanted to throw them out there to see if it is happening to anyone else.

Chet,
it doesn't happen to my stb. The last time I rebooted was probably more than a month ago, and I don't remember why I had to do it. It might be your stb misbehaving.
If I recall correctly every time you reboot the stb needs to download the guide. Actually, the same happens with my D* stb.

It is normal for me to have to wait for the guide to download all over again.

When it stays on the VOOM screen will the green button work? Mine will stay on the VOOM screen, no buttons will work except for the green one which will give the system setting menu. I just watch the Sat/OTA signal screen until it finishes downloading.

When I have rain fade the picture will freeze and stay there. When signal returns to normal the picture just stays frozen. Sometimes it will come back by changing channels, but sometimes I have to turn the STB off and back on.

Hope this was of some help.

I've had to turn my stb off and then back on a few times cause of rain fade but I havn't rebooted the box sense I've had it. To me it sounds like your stb has had it and needs to be replaced. However, if its constantly loosing, gaining, loosing the signal all day long I could see how that might really fark the thing up.

I have to reboot every day almost if I use DVI. Apparently the moto doesnt like my HDCP compliant DVI connection if the TV isnt on before the reciever turns on i get an error message. Everytime I want to try life with DVI this deters me. Then the Moto locks up and has to be rebooted. I hope its the software thats a joke and not the box. If its the box then I feel sorry for those that purchased one.

I leave both boxes on 24/7 and have had to reboot each of them once in the last 6 weeks or so. They both hung up in the guide while browsing.

Every time I turn to a channel that has a weak signal, mainly on locals, my box freezes up and I have to reboot.

Haven't had a single "hangup" or "freeze" problem since I junked the DVI and went with component connections.

When I use component cables I only lock up I am guessing once every 3 or 4 weeks. Its not flawless but its not something I see as a big problem when using component cables. Conversly the DVI situation is absurd! Why did they even activate it when it has so many problems?

Chet,

I find that my STB is more stable and will last longer before a new reboot is required, if after the reboot, I do not touch the remote (I.E. change channels, turn of box, anything).

Power-cycle the box and walk away. Come back after an hour and use the box as you normally would. You might find it lasting longer. On my STB, using this method, I go about two weeks between reboots.

Isn't this all so insane? "It only crashed one or twice a month." "If you remeber to turn it off at night, it'll never crash." "As long as you don't change channels too fast you'll be fine." "When rebooting, don't watch TV for an hour afterwards." "It won't crash if you don't use a DVI cable."

This STB's like one of those people who when drunk gets real mean. You walk around on eggshells for awhile just trying not to piss him off, but eventually you just stop hanging out. I'm not a long-time satellite user, but in the 8 years I had a cable STB I never had one crash even once.

Yes, it is insane. I could live with a 2-3 week reboot. However, the stutter just drives me away. So, I watch DirecTv HD instead.

vurbano said:
When I use component cables I only lock up I am guessing once every 3 or 4 weeks. Its not flawless but its not something I see as a big problem when using component cables. Conversly the DVI situation is absurd! Why did they even activate it when it has so many problems?
My DVI is fine. I watch one stb via DVI and the other via Composite and they both behave the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts